Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorDepth - D7100 to Full Frame -Significant ?  (Read 537 times)

Tangent513

ColorDepth - D7100 to Full Frame -Significant ?
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:56:05 am »

Greetings All,
Apologies for the wordy post.
The purpose of this post is to ask your opinions about whether I should consider upgrading from my D7100 to a D750 full frame (or other Full frame within financial reason for me) , especially with regard to realizing greater color depth.
I call myself an enthusiast with a Nikon D7100. I understand that this question has much to do with my own skill in both taking the image and in post-processing. I also understand that the leap into full frame can dictate a commitment to much more expensive lenses which is a great concern as I near retirement.
 I figure that I should try to set myself up for durible equipment that I can grow into but I'm also concerned that I may fall prey to so much of the hype.
I don't have the resources to borrow or easily rent to test though I may go to this expense and trouble if it seems I should pursue further..
I've checked out the comparative models in the color depth charts on PhotonstoPhotos but I've been warned that such charts can be misinterpreted.

** My question to the brain trust is about my admiration for the the superior color depth I see in some samples of photos that always seem be from the full frame, though it could certainly be that the reason has more to do with expertise, especially in post processing.
So.. from the perspective of DX vs. FX. ...should I consider upgrading from my D7100 to a D750 full frame ?
Thanks !

capital

• Website
Re: ColorDepth - D7100 to Full Frame -Significant ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:13:58 am »

I've shot with Nikon D40, Canon 5dM2, and 5DMIV. I would say resolution, but not noise improved from the D40 -> 5DM2. And from the 5DM2 -> 5DM4, high ISO color improved about a stop.  Clarifying this comparison: Nikon's later cameras like your D7100 are going to be closer in performance to my full frame Canon's and the benefit of the D750 to the D7100 might be visible, though:

I would say practical color depth is improved more by optimized exposure than absolute sensor size.

So,

Is the APSC/Full Frame going to merit the cost to upgrade? No.
Will upgrading feel like the right thing to do, given your question? Yes.

My suggestion is wait a few more years, and see if you've "graduated" past your D7100 then, instead of trying to future proof now against technology that endlessly improves. The added benefit will be that the Nikon D910 will be out by then.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:15:21 am by capital »

Tangent513

Re: ColorDepth - D7100 to Full Frame -Significant ?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:54 pm »

Capitol, Thank you for the thoughtful response. Greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up