Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best software for a photo library  (Read 17013 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Best software for a photo library
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »

It is time to put some more order in my Hassie / Leica S files.
How much order are they in now?
If you knew the shooting date could you find any file in under a minute?

If the answer is no then you probably need some file management before starting anything else.

I have all of my files in the one drive. The file structure for raw files goes ImageLibrary / Originals / 2019 / Canon (say) / YYYY-MM-DD_FirstFileInThe Folder / YYYY-MM-DD_IMG1234.CR2

So I can find any file very quickly.
The Aperture Catalogue, Lightroom Catalogue, Photos Catalogue, C1 catalogue are all on the same drive so they can all look at the same files and I can put the drive on another computer.
As there is only one drive to backup, it gets backed up several times a day and the multiple backups get rotated around to different locations.
I based it all on the Chase Jarvis Workflow which you can find on Mr Google.

For what its worth I use Aperture as my software library. It is simply the best but I would obviously not recommend starting with it now. If a better one comes out I will migrate, but that is not the current situation.
Cheers
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 06:40:23 am »

Yes, a bit disappointing. They have always avoided giving any time frame until now, so I was hoping for at least the public beta this year.

I recently downloaded the PM6 trial and I like it, but I can't see any real DAM features as such.

Is this what was expected?

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

myotis

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 07:42:02 am »

I recently downloaded the PM6 trial and I like it, but I can't see any real DAM features as such.  Is this what was expected?

Not really, PM6 doesn't have any DAM features.   The DAM features are in PM6 plus, which is in restricted public beta. The "restricted" means only licensed users of PM6 can run the beta of PM6 plus.

The DAM features look like a really good addition to PM6 as a search and organisational tool,  but still seems a to have some way to go before becoming what I would consider a full DAM. But its still in beta, and I'm not sure if all features for the final release are currently in the beta.

Contrary to what I thought, and while welcoming the new features in PM6 Plus, which I will upgrade to, I will probably continue using Neofinder as my DAM.

Cheers,

Graham

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 05:51:54 am »

PM6 is so MUCH SLOWER than PM5, even though they say it should be faster. It's a joke. I lost all my hope and respect for Camera Bits.

myotis

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 09:24:44 am »

PM6 is so MUCH SLOWER than PM5, even though they say it should be faster. It's a joke. I lost all my hope and respect for Camera Bits.

It's a "bit" slower for me as well, but many people are also reporting how much faster it is for them. So not sure what to think.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2019, 05:36:36 am »

Not really, PM6 doesn't have any DAM features.   The DAM features are in PM6 plus, which is in restricted public beta. The "restricted" means only licensed users of PM6 can run the beta of PM6 plus.

The DAM features look like a really good addition to PM6 as a search and organisational tool,  but still seems a to have some way to go before becoming what I would consider a full DAM. But its still in beta, and I'm not sure if all features for the final release are currently in the beta.

Contrary to what I thought, and while welcoming the new features in PM6 Plus, which I will upgrade to, I will probably continue using Neofinder as my DAM.

Cheers,

Graham

Just looked for it and Camera Bits have removed the beta from the page they were using to distribute it.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

syncrasy

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »

Just looked for it and Camera Bits have removed the beta from the page they were using to distribute it.

They moved it to the PM Announcements section. As of today, Photo Mechanic Plus Beta 9 is available (for registered PM users).
-- Mark

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2019, 06:29:55 am »

Check out On1 Photo RAW. It has DAM since the most recent releases and version 2020 is out in public beta now. You can try if for free.

I own Photo RAW 2019, but I don't use it much.

My RAW processor and DAM program of choice is Capture One Pro, now at version 12. It gets better and faster with each release. I have been a user since version 9. It is a superior RAW processor and image editor to Lightroom. I cancelled my Creative Cloud subscription 2 years ago since converting my LR catalogs to C1P.

C1P is so powerful, that I no longer use any sort of plug-ins like NIK or On1. You don't need them with C1P.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up