Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR and the Cloud  (Read 896 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
LR and the Cloud
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:00:43 am »

Anyone using the cloud based LR? As I shoot raw and keep the raws to work from in LR Classic. I'm wondering how the cloud system works, internet connections are not always available or very good.
So can you keep your library on an eternal HD as well, make adjustments and when a connection is possible everything update, vice a versa as well, adjustments in the cloud update the HD? Just wondering if the cloud is a feasible option, some features would be handy, but not an option if it only works on a decent wifi connection.
 I can already edit anywhere in the World with a HD and solar charger! probably more reliably than the cloud. But if they can sync it would be a useful system.
Kevin.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR and the Cloud
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 05:44:24 am »

What do you mean by "the cloud based LR", Kevin? I'm not being awkward but Adobe haven't helped us with their product naming! Do you mean the one-year-old Mac/PC application that Adobe call "Lightroom CC"? Update: I'll assume so. I'm also unclear what you mean by "your library". The photos, or what Lightroom calls the catalogue?

Anyway "Lightroom CC" is a bit like Lightroom Mobile but running on your laptop. It can work offline, syncing later, but it is really designed to work best online. So when I last played with it, you couldn't even search or filter your photos without being online. Although it has a local cache, its catalogue is in the cloud and you can't back it up locally.

But Lightroom has a variety of cloud features, not just "Lightroom CC", and you can pick and choose. "Cloud-based" is really cloud-dependent, and you do need good internet connections, not just decent, before it becomes viable.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:33:07 am by john beardsworth »

CeeVee

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:01 am »

I have a distrust of anything "cloud".
There are 2 issues:
As you have said cellphone/WiFi/Internet coverage is _NOT_ universal. (Maybe if you're in the middle of New York City, but certainly not in Central Florida.)
Secondly once you've up loaded your "stuff" to the cloud who owns it? A lot of folks will say that's not an issue.
Maybe it's just paranoia but I say - have they tried/had to switch Banks lately? Once you lose control, lose a personal connection with data/identity it's damm hard to control or manage what's happening.
I have the Adobe yearly plan but thats for the software updates my photos live on a tripled external.

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:54:56 am »

As John Beardsworth mentioned, there are many “layers” of cloud usage.

On Lightroom, now Classic, I have been using “the cloud” ever since ‘Mobile’ has been announced.  Easiest way to get images to iPhone/iPad to show friends.  Also, share a link to the collection on LR Web so remote/others to see.  Sometimes, to create a collection to further cull through a set of images while off on a trip or off to wait a doctors office (iPad is so easier to travel with v. Computer).
John

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:54:43 am »

I'm not that strong with the cloud but I read a lot about it as one day I may try it.

1. Classic does not send files to the cloud. When you sync it sends smart previews. I'm not sure how it works with mobile devices but I'm sure it isn't that difficult. I just have not invested any time into exploring that yet. My guess it would be the same as local storage and smart previews. Disconnect the ED with your files and keep editing. Once the ED is re-connected your adjustments are applied to the files on the ED. Mobile apps are free.

2. LR CC is 100% cloud based. When you are connected to the net it pushes all the files up there.

3. You should not install LR CC and Classic on the same device. There are syncing issues. People have found work arounds but apparently it is a little tricky. Adobe doesn't recommend it.

4. If you do have actual files up there and cancel the plan you have 90 days the get them down. Adobe provides a bulk downloader.

5. If you cancel the plan you can still use Classic except the Develop and Map modules are disabled. You can use the DAM, Quick Develop in the Library Module and export you previous work. You also get 2GB of cloud space forever. They don't want anyone to stray too far ;)

Technically you could sync all of your files using Classic and not use any cloud space since they are not actual files.           

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:57:47 am »

I forgot. With Classic your catalogue is not in the cloud if you sync. It is still stored locally. With LR CC it is in the cloud but I think I read it is shared with the device. Not sure there. I have never installed LR CC.       

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:25:43 am »

I think I'll give it a miss. Thanks all.
Kevin.

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:18:28 pm »

I don't use it yet. I have no real need. When I travel I create a new catalogue on my laptop and use the import from another catalogue command when I plug the ED into the iMac. Some really like the cloud. I risk theft, loss, a failed ED. If I was working pro and travelled a lot I would probably be using it or another cloud backup method. If I lose a few travel shots then it ben no fun, not any major loss.                       

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 02:17:44 pm »

I don't use it yet. I have no real need. When I travel I create a new catalogue on my laptop and use the import from another catalogue command when I plug the ED into the iMac. Some really like the cloud. I risk theft, loss, a failed ED. If I was working pro and travelled a lot I would probably be using it or another cloud backup method. If I lose a few travel shots then it ben no fun, not any major loss.                       

With all due respect, if you do not use it why are you giving advice on it?
John

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 02:49:03 pm »

Didn't see it as advice. I just stated what I have read about and what I do. Not trying persuade anyone. I don't care what anyone does. You never know what comes out of a conversation.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up