Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Just Published - The NEW Leica M10-D  (Read 12536 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: New Article Just Published - The NEW Leica M10-D
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2018, 11:41:48 am »

If I'd managed, just once, to do something as wonderful as the third shot down, those three heads, I'd die happy knowing it never gets better.

Yes, that is indeed a very congruent type of ethereal beauty. I suppose it underscores the importance of storytelling in a picture, if it is ever to become of any significance.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

bcooter

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 03:08:27 am »

BC, well said.  We are all entitled to the types of tools that produce the work we like.     snip     

As I said in the story and video I grew up with Leicas and love them. 

Kevin

The thing I like about this site is you do your best to review a camera, keep it fair, make sure you’re giving your opinion and don’t allow all the stuff to follow about name calling and how bad a choice it was.

You made it very clear this camera was not for you, for me either.

The only point I made was most people that comment haven’t owned a Leica M for a period and so few any version of the Leica S.

That does not make me right for 90% of the people on this forum, just right for me some of the  time.  In reality today, 80% of my work is shot with a Canon 1dx and 1dxII.

They are big, heavy and robust.  the 2 version even at 8 bit shoots up to 800 megabits (not bytes) per second and the autofocus is amazing, the motion file is robust in Resolve and will take a lot of correction and style.

I’ve probably glanced at the most prolific posters and most of them have a strong dislike for my choices, but as you say, it works or doesn’t work for you.  That’s all that matters.

Thanks

BC

1dx_focus tracking in black hawk through canyon

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 04:56:50 am »

I've used the Leica M system exclusively for the last five years and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I particularly admire the pure simplicity of the cameras. It's somewhat difficult to take a step back and judge one's own work but I believe that this period has been both productive and rewarding.

There again, perhaps I'm just daydreaming?

All that said, I'm still scratching my head over the M10-D, it seems simplified to the point of being handicapped.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:11:58 am by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 03:08:31 pm »

I always did think of it as a pretty brave leap of faith on your part. Having been in love with the Swedish Square too, for many happy years, along with a small Japanese Rectangle, both superlative reflex entities, I know that putting faith in a totally different system takes resolve  - to say the least!

Did you do this in one seismic moment, or did you hedge your bets using both systems together, for a while, just to see how it would pan out?

As you know, I have a kind of unfulfilled lust for this lind of machine, but every time I go out to shoot anything, that old refelex reflex clears my mind yet again.

Yes, I know there are ways around that via EVFs, but have you found it useable doing it straight through the viewfinder after an slr background?

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 04:13:26 pm »

I always did think of it as a pretty brave leap of faith on your part. Having been in love with the Swedish Square too, for many happy years, along with a small Japanese Rectangle, both superlative reflex entities, I know that putting faith in a totally different system takes resolve  - to say the least!

Did you do this in one seismic moment, or did you hedge your bets using both systems together, for a while, just to see how it would pan out?

As you know, I have a kind of unfulfilled lust for this lind of machine, but every time I go out to shoot anything, that old refelex reflex clears my mind yet again.

Yes, I know there are ways around that via EVFs, but have you found it useable doing it straight through the viewfinder after an slr background?

Rob

Hi Rob, yes, it was pretty much a leap of faith taken in one seismic moment. That said it was a considered decision. I'm easily bored and throughout my working life have sought change and fresh challenges.

At the time I was looking for a replacement for the Hasselblad digital system which was in turn a replacement for the Hasselblad film system. I was also looking for a system that would serve me well on and off a tripod, not something that I was comfortable with when using medium format. I loved the simplicity of the Blads and was seeking a full frame alternative. Everything I demoed, begged and borrowed - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic - left me cold, the spark, passion, inspiration, whatever, was missing. It's strange, the last system I ever thought I'd be using, loving, was Hasselblad and the last system I ever thought I'd be replacing it with was Leica.

I wasn't looking for high tech, latest, greatest, but simply a system delivering quality and utter simplicity. Exasperated by my diminishing choices and against my better judgement I eventually held an M9, peered through the rangefinder and couldn't focus the bloody thing! Disappointment, thankfully resolved with a finder correction lens. I was smitten. The Blad was sold within a couple of weeks.

In answer to your question,  I prefer to use the rangefinder wherever possible - perhaps on 90% of shots - but use the EVF and/or LCD when needed.

Five years on and I still enjoy the cameras more than any others I've used and have no plans for change. I also love the fact they are niche. When in use nobody takes the cameras or me seriously.

Bliss!   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:17:34 pm by KLaban »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up