Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)  (Read 12918 times)

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:02:38 pm »

With the new Topaz Studio update to version 1.12.6 we get a fully updated version of AI Clear with the following improvements:

•Auto Button: Analyzes your image to automatically pick an appropriate noise reduction model
•200%-300% speed increase with improved processing and Neural Network to give you even better quality
•New Detail Synthesis: This latest update to the A.I. models in A.I. Clear now allows the model to not only enhance existing details but actually replicate missing detail that may have been completely obscured by noise or artifacts. Now you actually can create missing pixel data with the power of deep learning neural networks
•Intelligent noise detection
•New Sharpness selector: Get even more control over the amount of sharpening applied to your image with a selector for low or high sharpness
•Various bug fixes

See my examples and more info on today's blog post.

The update is free if you already own the pro version of the adjustment, or there is an unadvertised discount.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:34:13 pm by plugsnpixels »
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

kirkt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 602
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:58 am »

I used your discount (thank you) to finally purchase AI Clear to see just what it can do with certain types of troublesome images.  Invoking AI Clear from Studio crashes Studio.  I am running the most up-to-date Studio.  I posted a report on the Bug section of the Topaz forum - hopefully someone will see it.

Not good.  Topaz software seems like this is par for the course - their technology is interesting, their QA is abysmal.  It is difficult to test software that does not work.  Right now, my initial impression is that it is 1/∞ faster than the previous version.


Kirk
Logged

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:23:45 am »

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. It is pretty slow so I don't use it that much. I like it compared to DXO Prime because LR settings are retained. I also go outside of LR for troublesome files. I'm still evaluating it.         

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:15 am »

Definitely faster. More usable now. I purchased DXO PL 6 months ago and now there is an update for another $80. I think I'll take it out of the tray for a while.

Thanks for the info.     

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:14:56 am »

You're welcome guys.

Kirk, tell me more about your setup and exactly what's going on. I know Topaz takes their QC seriously and always addresses technical issues ASAP.

I did my blog examples using AI Clear on a MacBook Air so I'm not using a high-end rig. I don't recall Studio crashing on me.

I'll write Topaz myself on your behalf if you'd like. They're a small team so if an answer to your forum report is delayed, that might be why.

Zen8, you won't be paying for Clear again. Free updates for life ;-).
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:33:39 am »

You're welcome guys.

Kirk, tell me more about your setup and exactly what's going on. I know Topaz takes their QC seriously and always addresses technical issues ASAP.

I did my blog examples using AI Clear on a MacBook Air so I'm not using a high-end rig. I don't recall Studio crashing on me.

I'll write Topaz myself on your behalf if you'd like. They're a small team so if an answer to your forum report is delayed, that might be why.

Zen8, you won't be paying for Clear again. Free updates for life ;-).

I buried DXO for now. it was my backup in case drop the plan although it will be tough to give up the DAM. DXO doesn't even have a temporary stack to show you what you have done.

AI Clear is impressive. I tried it on a low ISO file and sure brought fine detail.     

kirkt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 602
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 11:34:56 am »

You're welcome guys.

Kirk, tell me more about your setup and exactly what's going on. I know Topaz takes their QC seriously and always addresses technical issues ASAP.

I did my blog examples using AI Clear on a MacBook Air so I'm not using a high-end rig. I don't recall Studio crashing on me.

I'll write Topaz myself on your behalf if you'd like. They're a small team so if an answer to your forum report is delayed, that might be why.

Zen8, you won't be paying for Clear again. Free updates for life ;-).

I already opened a support ticket with them, although their support ticket access system won't let me actually view it to check on the status, etc.  Their web interface is terrible.

I replied by email with .crash logs attached, so hopefully they get them and they are helpful.  Another user on the Topaz forum has the same problem and also filed a ticket.

I am sure they take their QC seriously, it just needs some QC.

Hopefully it will all get sorted out- I think most of us have grown accustomed to the reality of paying to be beta testers.

Kirk
Logged

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 12:37:06 pm »

Alright, please keep us informed. I will do some testing as well.
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »

One thing I noticed which the previous version did as well. You can't send the same file twice. For instance I decided to crop more and I want the Topaz version to match. I delete the file in Topaz and LR, sent it to Topaz again and a TIFF opens in LR but nothing in Topaz. The solution is you have to restart Topaz. Also when you modify a file and the save icon lights up and when you save it does save update or send a new file to LR.     

Not big deal but even sending a file a second or third there or back back for comparisons would-be nice. Maybe some future update. I have not checked the preferences yet.                   

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 12:56:50 pm »

Would using "Save As" in the file menu (as opposed to the Save disk icon at lower right) help? That's what I tend to do to keep each iteration separate.
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 12:59:34 pm »

I haven't tried that yet. Actually since now it works faster I'm exploring it more. It does save your changes but it doesn't show in LR. To the right is the cranked up exposure after exporting in LR. 

   

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »

Save as just saves a Jpeg, etc. No biggie. Something I noticed and there is a work around. It will save changes but it would be nice to see them. For now it is one shot process. If you want to make changes then you have to delete the TIFF in LR and restart Topaz. Best practise for now, for me anyway.               

kirkt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 602
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »

Alright, please keep us informed. I will do some testing as well.

As an aside - it does not crash my MacBook Pro, just my MacPro - my guess is that it is a GPU-related issue.  Bummer, because the MacPro has dual fast cards, which would be nice to be able to use.

kirk
Logged

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 03:20:33 pm »

Zen8, if you use Save As, under File Format you can choose TSP, JPEG, TIFF & PNG.

kirkt, perhaps you're right. Those Pro's can do weird things sometimes (I support about 75 of them in higher ed Art labs). Even Apple has moved on from them...

I just tested on a 2013 fusion iMac with Mojave 10.14.1 (beta) with the latest Topaz Studio and had no issues.

Here's a screenshot of a Canon Rebel T3 shot (detail crop) which was way mushier than I realized. Clear did nice work on it.
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »

Does it go back to LR?

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 04:51:50 pm »

I don't use LR but I have both versions. What is the exact workflow you use?
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 05:31:42 pm »

From the beginning I pre-cull using Canon's DPP, import into LR, pretty much edit everything in LR expect for sending out to PS or something like AI Clear, back as a TIFF and export using LR.

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »

OK thanks. Please clarify the "back as a TIFF and export using LR" part. Are you doing further treatment to the results you are getting from the non-LR apps? Or could you just stop the workflow with the TIFF from the other apps?
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 05:45:58 pm »

Clear did nice work on it.
YMMV, I think the results on the right aren't an improvement at all. In some areas it makes the image look worse, eg where there's no detail in the foliage top right looks worse because of the over sharpened area below. The colour shifts aren't great either.
Logged

plugsnpixels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1139
    • http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Topaz AI Clear adjustment update (>3x faster)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 05:53:09 pm »

Thanks Rhossydd for your feedback.

That was a quickie; perhaps I could have used Gigapixel to restore the detail and bring it back down in size.

To my eye the "before" is pale mush and the "after" better overall, but I see what you mean. This was shot with the stock Canon short zoom, perhaps I need to replace it with something else ;-)

I did purposely darken the overall result (exposure -30); perhaps that's the color shift you see?
Logged
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up