Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Rodernstock APO-Sironar N 5,6/210mm on 100MP  (Read 1511 times)

pemihan

Experience with Rodernstock APO-Sironar N 5,6/210mm on 100MP
« on: October 22, 2018, 12:19:28 pm »

Hello,
I'm looking to buy a Rodernstock APO-Sironar N 5,6/210 for use on Cambo WRS with a P1 100MP back. Anyone have any experience with this lens?
My thinking is that it will at least rival the Schneider Apo-Digitar 210mm which is impossible to find.
Thanks
Peter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:49:25 pm by pemihan »

matted

Re: Experience with Rodernstock Apo Sironar N 5,6/210mm on 100MP
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:32:31 pm »

I haven’t tried my 210 Sironar-N on digital but if I were you I would spring for the APO-Sironar-S if for digital use... they are better performers and they were the designs that were tweaked and released as Digarons in some cases. Probably much more likely to be competitors with the Schneider Digitar.

I don’t have a 100MP back (IQ250) but perhaps I can do a quick test with the 210 Sironar-N to see how it performs. I should have an APO-Sironar-S in my hands soon as well and can compare the two.

pemihan

Re: Experience with Rodernstock Apo Sironar N 5,6/210mm on 100MP
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:39:24 pm »

I haven’t tried my 210 Sironar-N on digital but if I were you I would spring for the APO-Sironar-S if for digital use... they are better performers and they were the designs that were tweaked and released as Digarons in some cases. Probably much more likely to be competitors with the Schneider Digitar.

I don’t have a 100MP back (IQ250) but perhaps I can do a quick test with the 210 Sironar-N to see how it performs. I should have an APO-Sironar-S in my hands soon as well and can compare the two.

Thanks, that would be great. Unfortunately the APO-Sironar-S is out of the question as the diameter of the rear barrel is to big to be mounted in Cambo WRS.

matted

Re: Experience with Rodernstock APO-Sironar N 5,6/210mm on 100MP
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:21:12 pm »

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry I’m not overly familiar with the WRS. The N must be close to the limit as there is only 5mm difference between the two rear diameters! Is it the helical that is the limit or the throat of the lens board/barrel/camera?

I will be testing on an Arca M-Line. I don’t remember the N performing super well wide open (optimized for f22 IIRC) so it may be a challenge to achieve good performance before becoming diffraction limited. I’ll shoot at f5.6,8,11, and 16. It may not be until next week but I will see what I can do!

pemihan

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:43:41 pm »

The N at 60mm is almost exactly at the limit which is 61mm. I think it is the helical that is the limit.
I will mainly be using the lens for landscape so will stop down as much as possible before diffraction really sets in.
Thanks again.

Harold Clark

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:07:13 pm »

Hello,
I'm looking to buy a Rodernstock APO-Sironar N 5,6/210 for use on Cambo WRS with a P1 100MP back. Anyone have any experience with this lens?
My thinking is that it will at least rival the Schneider Apo-Digitar 210mm which is impossible to find.
Thanks
Peter

Another lens you might want to look at is the Fujinon CM W, the final version of their excellent LF lens line, although I don't know the rear section diameter. I have a number of Fujinon lenses ( no CM W though ) which are stellar performers on film. Several reviews I have read on Large Format news groups indicate that the CM W out perform the Apo Sironar lenses in some cases. I use Apo Sironar 135mm & 180mm for film, and they are extremely capable performers. The Fujinon would be a fraction of the price of an Apo Sironar.

pemihan

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:39:45 am »

Another lens you might want to look at is the Fujinon CM W, the final version of their excellent LF lens line, although I don't know the rear section diameter. I have a number of Fujinon lenses ( no CM W though ) which are stellar performers on film. Several reviews I have read on Large Format news groups indicate that the CM W out perform the Apo Sironar lenses in some cases. I use Apo Sironar 135mm & 180mm for film, and they are extremely capable performers. The Fujinon would be a fraction of the price of an Apo Sironar.

Thank you Harold, I will look into the Fujinon as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up