Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS R - Back Button Focus  (Read 7712 times)

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

Canon EOS R - Back Button Focus
« on: October 20, 2018, 12:33:20 pm »

I am new to the Canon universe, and I am having trouble figuring out how to set up back button focus. I must just be stupid - I was told that Canon's menu system was quite easy to understand, but I am not having success with this  task. Can someone illuminate me?
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)

Rado

Re: Canon EOS R - Back Button Focus
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 06:10:52 pm »

I don't have an R but looking at the manual online the relevant page is 555 "Customizing Operations". You go to "Customize buttons" and set the shutter button to "Metering start" and the AF-ON button to "Metering and AF-start"

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:02:00 pm »

I don't have an R but looking at the manual online the relevant page is 555 "Customizing Operations". You go to "Customize buttons" and set the shutter button to "Metering start" and the AF-ON button to "Metering and AF-start"

Thanks Rado. I will give that a try.
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:41 am »

I am new to the Canon universe, and I am having trouble figuring out how to set up back button focus. I must just be stupid - I was told that Canon's menu system was quite easy to understand, but I am not having success with this  task. Can someone illuminate me?

From Canon support:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. My name is Eric and I understand you have questions about back button focus and I can assist.

By default the EOS R has back button focus set up on the AF-On button on the back of the camera. To remove the focus from the shutter button you would need to navigate to the 4th tab in the Custom operations menu (orange menu) the first option in this menu is Customize Buttons. This will allow you to remove focusing from halfway pressing down on the shutter button which will fully allow you to use back button focus.
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)
Pages: [1]   Go Up