Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beware: There’s a Blend Mode Bug in Photoshop CC 2019  (Read 1278 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RMW

Re: Beware: There’s a Blend Mode Bug in Photoshop CC 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:10:36 pm »

Bartvander.
Thanks for posting this warning. Not sure what to make of it's validity. Am wondering as a person who can use PS, but has little understanding of the processes behind it, (I'm nowhere near nor ever will be in the same league as many of the savvy participants on LuLa) is it safe to begin using this latest version.
Richard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:29:07 pm »

I never consider it safe to upgrade versions until several months after they've been released so they gain the benefit of the early adopters and the varied computing environments and experience they bring to bear on the applications.

If this is the only thing wrong with Photoshop and if you don't use those particular Blend Modes, which a great many users wouldn't, you should be able to carry on using it as before. But as I said, could be prudent to wait a while.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

RMW

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:46:59 pm »

Thank you Mark for your practical wisdom. I usually do wait for a while before installing the latest PS. However, the new content aware feature just kept calling like a Siren upon the sea. Richard

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:44:40 am »

If you experience the issue go to Edit->Preferences->Performance and check "Legacy Compositing"

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 05:33:26 am »

I never consider it safe to upgrade versions until several months after they've been released so they gain the benefit of the early adopters and the varied computing environments and experience they bring to bear on the applications.

But Mark, if everybody takes your position, then who will be the first to find out if there are issues? ;)

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:22:53 am »

But Mark, if everybody takes your position, then who will be the first to find out if there are issues? ;)

Cheers,
Bart

The QA department?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 08:36:30 am »

Cheers,
Bart

Yes of course there could be what we call a "fallacy of composition" in my advice on this matter; but the answer to your question simply is that it won't happen. There are plenty of hardy souls out there who will be early adapters no matter what, because they aren't bothered by the risk of having to deal with bugs that will anyhow get cleared up, especially if they have the honour and privilege of being first in line to identify them. Then there are the more cautious conservative types like me who aren't in a panic for the next great improvement, don't like to be bothered by things that don't work as advertised, and don't mind waiting out a certain period of time for "proof of concept" if you will. So as long as we have a world full of people with different perspectives and risk tolerance my advice has no logical issues.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:44:06 am »

The QA department?

Sure, and Adobe has a very large QA overhead in its engineering of these applications, but all being human, the complexity of the software, and the huge variety of contexts and procedures in which this software is being used, stuff can be missed, and they depend on the early adapters to signal bugs they didn't find themselves. Your comment points to the possibility that perhaps the release of application upgrades would benefit from a larger and longer beta testing activity between the company and interested participants, but it costs time and resources to manage such processes, so no doubt they have that in mind as well. When customers find bugs in released versions, that costs them nothing other than customer confidence, which returns depending on the timeliness of the fixes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up