Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flattening Harman Baryta Gloss prints from Roll?  (Read 870 times)

narikin

Flattening Harman Baryta Gloss prints from Roll?
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:28:34 am »

Hi all.

I need to print some large-ish images on a 44" roll of 'Harman by Hahnemuhle' Baryta Gloss, which is a truly wonderful paper, BUT...has a fierce curl to it when used in roll form.

Any secret or tips to flattening the prints? Cover sheet and weight to flatten for a few days?

I have the 'D-roller', and could use that, but would rather not be stressing the paper with a tight reverse curl, which is what that does - it makes me a little uneasy treating paper like that, but... 'if needs must', then will have to.

I.T. Supplies

Re: Flattening Harman Baryta Gloss prints from Roll?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:05:02 pm »

The D-roller was meant to work with the thick fine art papers quickly so you don't have to wait for something heavier than the paper to act like an anchor while being on top of the curled paper.
As long as you roll it up against the curl, you should be good.  Not sure why the manufacturer stopped the 2" tube version for the thicker media, but they only offer the 1.5" tube now in both 24" and 50" widths.

I've checked with Hahnemuhle and their tech mentioned that they use the D-rollers on most of their papers.  You just want to be careful with the fine art media, but it works well otherwise.

Hope this helps.

IT Supplies

alain

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »

Hi all.

I need to print some large-ish images on a 44" roll of 'Harman by Hahnemuhle' Baryta Gloss, which is a truly wonderful paper, BUT...has a fierce curl to it when used in roll form.

Any secret or tips to flattening the prints? Cover sheet and weight to flatten for a few days?

I have the 'D-roller', and could use that, but would rather not be stressing the paper with a tight reverse curl, which is what that does - it makes me a little uneasy treating paper like that, but... 'if needs must', then will have to.

Hi

i use 14-16 cm (6"-8") tube which are working well.  I have to wait a few hours.  I you want it really flat:  first use a tube to get it close and then use a weight above a flat "mdf-sheet" type of material on top of the print for a week or so.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:39:51 pm »

The D-Roller works great and I see no stress to the paper.  It works great with thick paper. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up