Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Atkinson Video #15 - Tapes used to attach print to backing board  (Read 2432 times)

giatropoulos

Perhaps too geeky a question, but after watching both Bill Atkinson's matting procedure in #15 and then Camera to Print with Michael and Jeff, I think I discovered a difference that may or may not be important in the procedures used in both videos. In any event, wondering if anyone can resolve the following for me:

In the Atkinson video he uses two types of tape to attach the print to the foam core board. Inch and a half Tyvec tape and 4 cm P90 tape. He first attaches the P90 tape to the back of the print, and then uses the Tyvec tape over the P90 tape to finally attach the print to the foam core.

In Camera to Print, it appears to me that Michael reversed the tapes - ie, he first taped the Tyvec tape to the back of the print and then used the P90 tape over the Tyvec tape to finally attach the print to the foam core board.

My question - Is it important which tape is used on the back of the print, (P90 per Lula #15, or Tyvec per Camera to Print) or did either Bill Atkinson or Michael simply misspeak when doing the video.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Bill Atkinson Video #15 - Tapes used to attach print to backing board
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:16:01 pm »

I do not have access to the videos currently. However, P90 is an ‘archival’ (relatively Ph neutral) tape, Tyvek is not. Anything that is in physical contact with the print should be archival to prevent any potential discolouration due to acidity. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:19:02 pm by Chris Sanderson »

giatropoulos

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

Thank you Chris! Yes, that answers my question.

JeffS

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:10 pm »

Thank you Chris! Yes, that answers my question.
Chris is correct.  Archival Methods, my supplier, recommends against using Tyvec directly on art work... page 37...

https://www.archivalmethods.com/downloadfiles/AM_Catalog_2017_Download.pdf

Our friend Michael also missed some issues regarding the use of the SpeedMat mat cutter that Bill Atkinson introduced him to.  I had a discussion with Michael at the time explaining the issues.

Jeff (not Schewe)
Pages: [1]   Go Up