Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm GF 110mm with extension tubes MCEX-18g or MCEX-45g  (Read 4158 times)

StoryinPictures

Fujifilm GF 110mm with extension tubes MCEX-18g or MCEX-45g
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »

I'm looking for images taken with the Fujifilm 110mm f2 lens combined with an extension tube. If you have any to post or can point me to where I can find some, thank you in advance :).

I am also interested in hearing about any experiences, good, bad or otherwise in using this combination.

I realize there is a 120mm f4 macro lens and do know that it has OIS.

TommyWeir

Re: Fujifilm GF 110mm with extension tubes MCEX-18g or MCEX-45g
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:23 am »

Google is your friend - Jonas Rask did a review.  https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/04/12/moving-in-close-a-look-at-the-fujifilm-mcex-18g-and-mcex-45g/

The 110mm gets a positive mention in there in combo with the 18.

StoryinPictures

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:06 pm »

Thanks!

That is a good blog post. I should have mentioned it in my initial post. :) That and an indirect forum reference when comparing the 120 and 110 are the best my google-fu drew up.  My current search skills on Flickr and Instagram have not drawn anything definitive (a few close images of plants which might have used a tube or might have been cropped).

My main interests are in use for tabletop or food and using the combination for focus stacking, but I'm interested in anything I can learn about this combination.

Alas, the otherwise excellent local camera store does not carry the tubes, so I am hoping to benefit from the experience of others in considering the question :).

algrove

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:59:29 pm »

Don Libby on getDPI has done some close-up work with the 120 I believe. He has posted some images over there.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:51:33 am »

I meant to respond yesterday but life got in the way. I don't have a 110 however I do have a 120 (and the 250) as well as both 18 and 45 tubes. I have been using either or both at the same time now on the 120 with great success capturing waterdrops in macro/highspeed images. I've shared my results on my blog as well. I'll share more here later after I get some coffee in me.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »

Again, I don’t own a 110 so I can’t speak about it; I do however own a 120 which I’ve been using extensively naked and with the combination of the 18 and 45 WR extension tubes.

My normal “go to” set up is using the 45 WR when setting up and shooting waterdrops. I’ve found the 45 WR allows me to set up close to the action without getting the front lens wet. Using the 18 allows me to set up slightly further away while using both at the same time will guarantee I get a splotchy lens which makes for a different end result. In the end I enjoy using either and find the end result very pleasing so I don’t see how it’ll be different using either or both on a 110.
I also have a 250 with the 1.4 extender and have used this combination with the 45 WR with great results. You’ll have the option of using either AF or MF depending on the subject.

I’ve got a couple blogs written on the above with sample images. While I tend not to go into too much detail these blogs should offer more information.
I started out with just the 45 WR and added the 18 a couple weeks after so I could have more of a choice on what/how I wanted to capture.

Hope this puts you on the right track, let me know if you need any more information.

Don

StoryinPictures

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »

Thank you, both!

I am going to look at the blog now...
Pages: [1]   Go Up