Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll probably hear the collective sigh when I ask this about Canon Print Studio  (Read 512 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:

I have a Canon 9000 Mk2

I print through Canon Print Studio Pro from Photoshop

I have a calibrated monitor and usually get good prints matching the screen.

Being mean I tried some compatible inks, just the Photo Magenta for now as it ran out and I get a green cast.

The supplier said maybe a faulty cartridge and supplied a replacement but same problem.

I tried printing through Photoshop and it was a little better.

I printed through picture viewer on Windows 7 and it was almost perfect but this was from a JPEG and it's a rough and ready program.

In each case I used the same ICC profile

Using the printer driver software I can get a perfect test pattern, not good but perfect.

It seems to me it's something to do with the Canon Print Studio Pro software but what? I have double checked settings and I can't see anything obvious. Do you think the Canon Print is capable of detecting non Canon ink and refusing to use it which I think is just about the effect it would have.

I said you'd sigh.

And I know I shouldn't be tight but inks are soooooo expensive.

Mike

I.T. Supplies

Using 3rd party ink should have nothing to do with the software not printing correctly.  The software is only there for you to do your printing from and it's the printers job to read the settings you selected in the computer for it to print the way it needs to.  The color "can" change between original and 3rd party, but it's hard to say how much (if it does).  It's really based on the person using the different inks since each user sees the quality differently between inksets.

You want to make sure that your settings in the software are picked properly so the printer can apply the proper amount of ink to the media it's printing on.  Each software can operate differently to which is why you see it come out that way as well.  Windows 7 viewer is pretty basic with little features to it while Canon studio offers most of your print settings (which you want to make sure all options are picked properly).  What settings are you choosing in the PSP and what paper?

drmike

• On Flickr:

Thanks for the reply.

I was using Ilford paper but that got expensive for tests so I switched to paper we can get in the Uk that is 'manufactured by Ilford' and for which the Ilford profiles work and they have for me in the past.

I have moved on a little as I realised roughly what you said, it had to be something to do with the Canon printing software so I restored all defaults, then chose the appropriate paper type and another setting but left the ICC profile at auto and I then got the best print yet. So, I guess I may have a solution for this ink but I will want to try it with a genuine Canon cartridge to make sure it's not something that's happened within the Canon printing software.

My suspicion is that the Canon printing software knew the PM cartridge was empty, and therefore didn't use it. When I put the compatible in sure it wasn't empty but neither was it genuine and I wonder if the software was refusing to use it? The printer driver knows it's a full cartridge and reports it as such but wonder if the printing software is craftier. Canon do like you to buy their ink.

I'm going to have a poke about in the registry - just for kicks.

Once again thank you for replying and offering help.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up