Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very SLOOWWW Wi-Fi Problem Fixed!!  (Read 643 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Very SLOOWWW Wi-Fi Problem Fixed!!
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:48:13 am »

Hi guys, this really isn't photo related but anyway. My Home WiFi has been slower than molasses when trying to stream from my computer to an OPPO DVD player located in my living room (a very short distance away) I tried fiddling with just about every setting etc. I could find when I remembered that, in an effort to speed things up, had placed an Apple Airport express in VERY close proximity to my home theater setup.

I ran it as an extension of the home network thinking it would be a help. well, it wasn't and i just suffered through a miserable experience when trying to stream anything more involved than an old TV show. I was just about to spend multi $$$ on one of the MESH home network systems when, in doing research on them, I came across a tidbit about the WiFi speed being degraded, sometimes by as much as 50% when the signal went through an extender.

So, I figured, what have I got to lose, and disabled the Airport Express located in the LR, PRESTO, I can now stream 1080 video files with none of the dammed  skipping and stuttering!!

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Joe Towner

Re: Very SLOOWWW Wi-Fi Problem Fixed!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »

Yea, the older models tend to add a lot of overhead when meshing - this is where the dual band 2x2 radios do a much better job.  The Airports were a single radio for the longest time, and if it didn't speak 802.11ac then you really were at dial up speeds.

Depending on the size of the house, and what other things you need to plug in, there are lots of new systems out there.  I LOVE the Unifi product from Ubiquiti - I use it in all my corporate setups, hotels, and high end homes.  They have smaller products in the Amplifi and Instant line up which are meant to be drop dead simple to setup - https://amplifi.com/
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up