Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAID controller card for HP z820  (Read 1526 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
RAID controller card for HP z820
« on: October 13, 2018, 06:34:04 pm »

I bought a used LSI 9240 8i RAID controller card to use in my HP z820.

Presently I have a 16 tb RAID 0 running off the motherboard. It is fast enough, but I assume it uses CPU resources to control the RAID. Sometimes I seem to have delays processing frames in Davinci Resolve, even playing PRORES 4444 2k files.

Does anyone know if this RAID controller card will create a hardware RAID? Or, does it just duplicate the system I'm already running? And, can one use it in a z820 running windows 10.

I've contacted tech support at broadcom, but, the responder didn't seem to really understand this product, or what a z820 is...

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Joe Towner

Re: RAID controller card for HP z820
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 02:21:22 pm »

Let's start with a few things, what disks / ssd's are you using for the 16tb?

It's a hardware RAID, compared with the software RAID on the motherboard.  So everything will be erased on the array when you switch over to it.

Are you booting off this RAID array or just using it for storage?  It should work fine in your z820 as a storage device, but keep in mind there can be conflicts based on the slot and boot order.  Only way to confirm is to test.
t: @PNWMF

smthopr

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:12:58 pm »

It's a hardware RAID, compared with the software RAID on the motherboard.  So everything will be erased on the array when you switch over to it.

Are you booting off this RAID array or just using it for storage?  It should work fine in your z820 as a storage device, but keep in mind there can be conflicts based on the slot and boot order.  Only way to confirm is to test.

Thank you Joe.  I've got 4x4tb WD spinning drives in my RAID 0.  The RAID is only used as a storage device.  All software and Cache is on SSD drives. I have a new project coming up and can start with a clean RAID.  The last movie has already had it's release and I no longer need the camera original files that were on the RAID.  For my projects RAID 0 is ok in that I have all the files backed up on external drives in case of a drive failure.  My reason for getting into this RAID controller idea is that I sometimes see a quick pause in playback which I think is due to using the CPU for a moment to run the RAID and neglect the main software tasks.  The RAID I have now is fast enough to play back the file sizes that I am using.  In fact, these files can even play back over USB 3 in real time.  I do have a few files such as DFX shots that are in uncompressed tiff or .dpx formats and these need the RAID speed for playback in real time.  There are also a few DFX shots in RAW format that need the speed.

So, my questions is, even though I've been told that this is a crappy old RAID controller card, would it be worth experimenting with?  I just don't have the RAID experience to know myself, and I'm trying to avoid a big experiment for no benefit.  It seems like you're saying that it's worth a shot.  About conflicts and boot order, this is not my expertise unfortunately.  I've only got a couple free slots after the Titan X GPU, the Decklink video i/o card which I believe are already in the slots recommended by BlackMagic for use with Resolve.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:34:12 pm »

I use macs, but a  few years ago had this company http://promax.com configure a 5.1 mac for at the time they used all high end components and it rocked.  Now they are more PC based and also specialize in high performance storage solutions.  Also this company in London configures HP and Macs for post work and al say they are tremendous.  https://create.pro/configure_z840?cat=scratch_Z840#config   I'd suggest giving them both a call or e-mail.

IMO

BC

I bought a used LSI 9240 8i RAID controller card to use in my HP z820.

Presently I have a 16 tb RAID 0 running off the motherboard. It is fast enough, but I assume it uses CPU resources to control the RAID. Sometimes I seem to have delays processing frames in Davinci Resolve, even playing PRORES 4444 2k files.

Does anyone know if this RAID controller card will create a hardware RAID? Or, does it just duplicate the system I'm already running? And, can one use it in a z820 running windows 10.

I've contacted tech support at broadcom, but, the responder didn't seem to really understand this product, or what a z820 is...

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

smthopr

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »

There more I think about this, I think I'll just stick with the software RAID.  It's all backed up twice at my place, and backed up a few more times on the other sided of the planet :)  It only takes 1/2 day to replace if a drive fails.  Finding conflicts in boot orders and slots is really beyond my expertise.  Maybe someday when I have a lot of time to play with it I'll go for it.  The card was pretty cheap, so not any big loss.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions though!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up