Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Luminar 2019 be "the new Aperture?"  (Read 6630 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Will Luminar 2019 be "the new Aperture?"
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:59:01 pm »

Once Luminar adds it's Library, I wonder how close to the original concept of Aperture it will be? I'm not part of the beta program, so I can't tell much about the interface beyond the videos, but it looks like there may not be a mode switch from a "library" to a "develop" module. And Scott Bourne is part of the company; he was a very early and very strong proponent of Aperture.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:46:38 am by Bob Rockefeller »
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

DP

Re: Will Luminar v3.0 be "the new Aperture?"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:30 am »

And Scott Bourne is part of the company; he was a very early and very strong proponent of Aperture.

a harbinger of things to come then... what happened to Aperture will happen to  ;D

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
Re: Will Luminar v3.0 be "the new Aperture?"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:28 am »

Hmm.

Well, does anyone know if Luminar 2019 will be modal, that is, a Library and a Develop mode or module?
Bob Rockefeller

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Re: Will Luminar 2019 be "the new Aperture?"
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »

I doubt it. Aperture had remarkably advanced DAM/editing (in the original sense of “editing”) tools which nothing else has come anywhere close to. Which indicates to me that there is no market for such tools in today’s hyper-saturation like-magnet hero shot world. Also Aperture featured a tastefully tuned Raw converter and a curve tool like no other (I don’t think anybody else has offered the luminosity curve with extended range combination).   “Tasteful” is not a adjective that came to mind when I took a look at Luminar.

Exposure X4 is a better candidate IMHO.
--
David Mantripp

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:51 am »

Watching some of the Luminar 3 intro videos, it appears that Luminar will indeed have a Library <-> Edit interface similar to Aperture. There seems to be no mode switching with the context switch. The three side panels – Library, Edit, and Info – change the tools available, but don't invoke a mode switch as does ON1 Photo RAW or Lightroom.

That will be a powerful motive for me to use Luminar as my primary RAW workflow tool.

Luminar is pretty young. And that shows in its library feature set – no keywords nor IPTC metadata display/editing. But those are promised in free upgrades "coming in 2019."

But I may be willing to ride through to bumpy times in hopes of a fuller feature set sooner, rather than later.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:31:44 pm by Bob Rockefeller »
Bob Rockefeller

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:24 am »

But those are promised in free upgrades "coming in 2019."
This seems to be their marketing strategy. Issue a press release that a new feature is coming next month. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Then about two weeks before it is released, issue another press release saying it will be released on a date certain. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Then issue another press release on the day of release, saying it is $10 off for a limited time. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Rinse and repeat. It seems there is something in my RSS feed about Luminar every week. It gives the impression that it is constantly evolving. And that it is being run by a bunch of hucksters.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:56 am »

This seems to be their marketing strategy. Issue a press release that a new feature is coming next month. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Then about two weeks before it is released, issue another press release saying it will be released on a date certain. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Then issue another press release on the day of release, saying it is $10 off for a limited time. It is picked up by all the photo sites. Free advertising. Rinse and repeat. It seems there is something in my RSS feed about Luminar every week. It gives the impression that it is constantly evolving. And that it is being run by a bunch of hucksters.

Yes. It may be the "play of the day." ON1 Photo RAW has been on a similar, but perhaps less severe path. Now that the ON1 feature set is closer to Lightroom's, maybe they will lay off. The test for me with Luminar is not if they over-promote themselves, but if they steadily add the features they promise in something close to the timeframe they promise them.
Bob Rockefeller

David S

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 03:29:48 pm »

Luminar 3 (so-called 2019) released today. Took a few minutes to do catelogue and we shall see what other features are present.

Dave S

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:45:49 pm »

Luminar 3 (so-called 2019) released today. Took a few minutes to do catelogue and we shall see what other features are present.

It released on a Saturday!? Cool!

I have Luminar 2018, but I see no sign of 3.0. Where should I be looking?

Bob Rockefeller

David S

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:21:00 pm »

I was sent an email. Early release for Canada and Australia. Cool.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 05:11:25 pm »

Now that I have v3 and have fiddled with it for a couple of hours, I'd say it is not "the new Aperture." Yet.

The image adjustment tools are plenty competent and the AI Filters work very well. The user interface design was done well.

Transitioning from Library to Edit is not quite as fluid as Aperture's and you can't make adjustments to thumbnails as you could in Aperture. But the "mode switch," if there is one at all, is very smooth. The only jarring part is if you have a thumbnail selected and switch to editing, the thumbnail expands to full-screen and the Looks and Filmstrip Panels may appear (if you have things set that way).

Because the library features are so very new, they cover only the very basic ground. There are no keywords, virtual copies, stacks, nor IPTC tag editing. Those, other than stacks, are promised for the first seven months of 2019. So we'll have to see when they are released, and how well those features work. I'll be hoping for stacks (I really miss those).
Bob Rockefeller

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 10:00:41 am »

What it needs to complete the package is a print module.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »

What it needs to complete the package is a print module.

That’s a good point. And a feature I don’t see on their roadmap.
Bob Rockefeller

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 08:59:57 pm »

I don't know how you "add a Library".
To me a catalogue programme is built from the ground up as a catalogue programme that does other things as well.
That is where Aperture excelled.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 12:32:43 am »

Luminar does not support dual monitors, and has no intention of supporting them any time soon. That alone is a showstopper for me.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

burrisent@burrisandsweet.com

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 02:57:10 pm »

Not for me - if they finish the nearly useless Library, and get rid of some of the worst bugs, maybe I'll consider using their product - my goto nowadays is ACDSee

Harry Burris

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:54 am »

Luminar has replaced my need for Aperture. It's far from perfect but the GUI and workflow suit my needs. Until they provide a printing module I'm using Epson's.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 03:40:26 pm »

Personally, I HATE the new Luminar. I hated that as soon as I launched it, after installing, it immediately started to search every drive on my system and started importing -- whether I wanted it to or not. I'm so sick of these programs that want to replace what I have, rather add to it. I'm not going to, for  instance, abandon PS for On1 Photo Raw. Or use Alien Skin Exposure to import and convert and organize my photos. At least those two make it an option. Luminar 3 just blithely started importing thousands of photos, whether I wanted to or not. I couldn't even cancel the import.

I will only use it as a plugin for PS as a result. Oh, and you'd think they could figure out how to create a "Close" command on a PC if you wanted to work with more than one photo. When all is said and done, for me, Luminar has marginal value and irritates the crap out me.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 05:31:28 pm »

I already moved on from Lightroom and Aperture a couple of years ago with Capture One Pro. Now at version 12, it's great. The IQ is the best that I've seen out of the box with my Leica M10 DNG and Fuji X-trans RAF files. The DAM features have come along in the past few updates and is very functional.

Since switching to Capture One, I no longer need plugins and Affinity Photo handles all of my pixel-mashing needs without a subscription.

I'm a very happy camper, for the moment.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

faberryman

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 04:33:45 pm »

Why not use one of the industry standard programs (Lightroom or Capture One) instead of participating in ongoing beta testing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:09:16 am by faberryman »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up