Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Filters of just raw images?  (Read 4044 times)

Alun

Capture One Filters of just raw images?
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:45:38 am »

Hi,

I'm returning to Capture One 11 after a couple of years away and can't see an obvious way to create a "filter by file type" so I can see my raw files (.raf) from my printed files (.tif) from any I've posted on social media (.png). To create a Smart Album from the result would be the ideal too.

What am I missing??

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One Filters of just raw images?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:49:18 am »

Hi,

I'm returning to Capture One 11 after a couple of years away and can't see an obvious way to create a "filter by file type" so I can see my raw files (.raf) from my printed files (.tif) from any I've posted on social media (.png). To create a Smart Album from the result would be the ideal too.

What am I missing??

Hi Alun,

What should work (but it doesn't !) is to filter by Format.

However, if you specify a filter as: Any   Contains   .tif
it should select only those files.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alun

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:59:14 am »

Thanks for taking the time to answer Bart

Unbelievable that such an obvious feature isn't available in a mature product like C1??! I tried Format without success like you said.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:56 am »

Thanks for taking the time to answer Bart

Unbelievable that such an obvious feature isn't available in a mature product like C1??! I tried Format without success like you said.

It usually takes someone to need/test it, and a service request will fix it (assuming it is broken). There is also a possibility that I also used it wrong because I never tried it before.

Chance has it that filtering based on keywords is more popular, because professional users often use the IPTC fields for adding lots of data and keywords. Filtering by added keywords, with the terms you need to find stuff, does work.

Raw conversions also get tagged as "Processed   is true | is false", so you can use that to differentiate between Raws and TIF/JPEG/PNG/etc. . Searching for .raf or . cr2, etc. also works.

In addition, if you work in Sessions, the Raw converted output is sent by default to a folder called 'Output' (can be changed by the user). And you can specify in the preferences to even see (or not) non-Raw formats like TIF and JPEG.

But being able to use the search dialog (and Smart collections) would be the easier path forward. Maybe it is mentioned in one of the excellent Tutorials how to do it even more efficiently.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:23:22 am by BartvanderWolf »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:17:44 pm »

Although it remains strange that an Advanced filter doesn't respond to values I've tried for a 'Format' selection, there is another way of achieving what you are looking for when working with Sessions. I don't use Catalogs, so I'm not sure how much of the following applies there.

In the Library palette of tools

1. Under Session albums, Select All images, or use another preselection.
2. Then, behind Filters select the ellipses ..., and select Show/Hide (Metadata) filters, and put a checkmark in front of 'Format'
3. Now a new collapsible section appears called Format, which lists all file formats and the number of them.
3. Select the one you want (in Windows one can CTRL+click to select multiple extensions).

Presto!

Cheers,
Bart

Alun

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:24 am »

Hi Bart,

Success!

I use Catalogs rather than Sessions but this worked for me. I think it might have something to do with the "Show/Hide (Metadata) Filters". Originally, "Format" wasn't ticked as an option. Now that I have ticked it, if I choose Format and set the search to "RAW" all my files for that folder are filtered! I can then create a Smart Album for that search and it then filters ALL the images in my catalog that are RAW's!

Thanks again for your help with this
Alun

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »

Hi Bart,

Success!

I use Catalogs rather than Sessions but this worked for me. I think it might have something to do with the "Show/Hide (Metadata) Filters". Originally, "Format" wasn't ticked as an option. Now that I have ticked it, if I choose Format and set the search to "RAW" all my files for that folder are filtered! I can then create a Smart Album for that search and it then filters ALL the images in my catalog that are RAW's!

Thanks again for your help with this

Apparently ticking the box made an indirect difference. Glad we solved that.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up