Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mallorca weather  (Read 425 times)

athegn

Mallorca weather
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:30 am »

Rob C I hope the recent weather caused you no harm?

I have a number of friends hollidaying in different parts of Mallorca at present. Other than being very soggy tney are all ok.

Rob C

Re: Mallorca weather
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:03:12 am »

Hey, thanks for the interest!

No, I didn't have any problems this time, but it didn't surprise me at all that there have been some serious floods: we have no rivers here, but we do have a lot of torrentes, dry gulches - arroyos created through the centuries by nature as naturaly eroded drainage channels that take the rainwater down to the sea or, in recent times, also to a couple of reservoirs in the mountains.

Nobody seems to be responsible for keeping these channels cleared of rubbish, weeds, bushes and trees. Less rain in recent years has helped these unwanted growths to flourish and not get swept away before they take hold, resulting in the waterways becoming blocked, with the obvious results that followed.

The funy thing is, during the 80s these heavy thunderstoms were common all winter, then they faded away to become a rarity. That change in the natural order may eventually impact the island's capabilities to support summer tourism: less rain means less available water for drinking, washing etc.

We could begin a new thread on climate change, but we can't; best just to let political watchdogs lie asleep with full bellies as the rest of us eventually either drown or fry.

;-)

Thanks again for your query!

Rob
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:49:38 am by Rob C »

athegn

Re: Mallorca weather
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:43 am »

Glad your ok. I am off Devon next week; if there is anything left? Looking at the weather in Torquay, they are getting part of the Storm Cullum today and tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up