Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink expiration date?  (Read 1597 times)

ajz

Ink expiration date?
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:03:27 pm »

I just order five new cartridges for my P800. My usual supplier changed owners and the shipped ink cartridges (on the box) show "Best By" dates from late 2017 to mid 2018. I assume they are good to use as along as the ink cartridge seal is not broken - but???  Epson has no opinion on the matter that I have been able to definitively nail down.  On my old 3800 I used cartridges one year old w/o and visible effect on the image.

thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

aj

stockjock

Re: Ink expiration date?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »

I just order five new cartridges for my P800. My usual supplier changed owners and the shipped ink cartridges (on the box) show "Best By" dates from late 2017 to mid 2018. I assume they are good to use as along as the ink cartridge seal is not broken - but???  Epson has no opinion on the matter that I have been able to definitively nail down.  On my old 3800 I used cartridges one year old w/o and visible effect on the image.

thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

aj

I routinely buy expired ink for my Canon iPF8400 and I have never had any problems.  And before I started doing that I searched for people that had experienced problems using expired inks and didn't find any.  However, I do think there might be an issue with settling with pigment inks which would be my primary concern. 

Having said all that, if you paid retail prices and were shipped expired inks I would return them.  Expired inks are usually available on eBay for 30-50% of the cost of unexpired inks at retail.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »

Settling of inks is the primary concern. Even if you vigorously shake the inks, you could still have problems, since the pigment particles tend to coagulate. I would try and not buy inks over 2 years out of date. I recently used a 3 year out of date red cart for my HP 3100, and I noticed the color was  not right on a diagnostic page and I immediately replaced the cartridge with a new one. No problem.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:56:20 pm »

Epson does not recommend vigorous shaking of the cartridges because the bladders holding the ink can break. Gentle back and forth movement for a minute or so should be sufficient. I've used out of date inks; up to two years they're OK; beyond that, I would be cautious.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:14:11 am »

Epson does not recommend vigorous shaking of the cartridges because the bladders holding the ink can break. Gentle back and forth movement for a minute or so should be sufficient. I've used out of date inks; up to two years they're OK; beyond that, I would be cautious.

+ 1

I've been using Epson inks for my Pro Graphic Printers for that past 15 + years.  From the start I was advised by Epson to never SHAKE an ink cart.  As Mark described it, a gentle back and forth roll in all four directions is the best way to "agitate" an Epson ink cart and I've never had any issues with ink coagulating/dropping out of solution.  If the printer is on its floor stand it will agitate the inks while printing with the back and forth movement.  If it's on a solid base such as a table or bench it's probably a good idea to occasionally remove the carts and agitate by hand, but never shake.  Of course I am referring to Epson ink carts.  I have no idea what other manufacturers advise.

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:03 am »

I think one of the carts I replaced on my Epson 9900 was dated 2013 or 2014 a few weeks ago. I think if the date isn't too old one would be fine in using ink a few months out of date. However, YRMV...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:54:58 pm »

As to whether you should be able to use the ink, lots of information and discussed many times, with some careful agitation should be fine.

However, a dealer should never sell you expired ink without telling you and getting your approval. Most dealers will discount expired inks especially ones that expired 6-18 months ago. I certainly would call and voice some displeasure.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »

I had a full set of very old inks for a 3880 that stated use by 2008! I recently popped one into the printer after a gentle shake and all seems fine. I'm not suggesting everyone do this, this is a 'beta' printer used for such testings. But I'm surprised that thus far, such an outdated set of inks still seem to be just fine. I only have one of the 'set' left (yellow), we'll see how that goes next.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 01:22:15 pm »

I had a full set of very old inks for a 3880 that stated use by 2008! I recently popped one into the printer after a gentle shake and all seems fine. I'm not suggesting everyone do this, this is a 'beta' printer used for such testings. But I'm surprised that thus far, such an outdated set of inks still seem to be just fine. I only have one of the 'set' left (yellow), we'll see how that goes next.

Yes Andrew, I hear you about that and don't doubt your experience; but my response was based on something else, this time for a 4900 printer. I'll preface by saying we know these two models have very different basic performance in respect of "clogging". That said, I came into a set of inks that had been expired for three to four years. My 4900 was anyhow showing sings of needing increasing maintenance so I wasn't too concerned about experimenting with the old inks, which I had been told would work satisfactorily. Well, that was true in respect of print quality. I didn't see any difference in print quality or profile performance between the previous fresher inks and these much older inks. However, the frequency and severity of nozzle check failures and cleaning cycles increased quite markedly compared with the immediately previous experience. So I had to think that these long-expired inks may have contributed. Perhaps it would have happened anyhow, but I just can't assume that, why based on my experience I suggested caution.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 01:33:06 pm »

Yes Andrew, I hear you about that and don't doubt your experience; but my response was based on something else, this time for a 4900 printer. I'll preface by saying we know these two models have very different basic performance in respect of "clogging".
I had one, hated it! Worst Epson unit I've ever used, a clogging machine. I'd have it clog two days without use after being perfect.I suspect you could buy ink manufactured from the future and it would have clogged.  ;D
3880, P800, the two units I currently play with, clogging is very, very rare. Even with ancient ink, at least in the 3880. The 4900 was an outlier and I don't think the age of the ink was a factor.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 01:38:10 pm »

You may be right, but the rapid increase of maintenance issues shortly after using those inks for a while points to some circumstantial evidence of a possible association.

ajz

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:24:36 pm »

Thanks to all the contributors of comments. I have had only one clog on the 3800 and that was with Matte Black. 

I always gently shake the cartridge.

Thanks again to everyone - it clarified many diverse comments on the subject at the club.

ajz
Pages: [1]   Go Up