Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just found this topic... :)  (Read 1122 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
just found this topic... :)
« on: October 07, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »

Just found this topic and I'm perusing the photographs.  A lot of nice work here :)

And so, I thought I'd post one :)

L'viv, Ukraine. September 2018
Canon 5Ds 24mm prime lens
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
Re: just found this topic... :)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:13:54 pm »

And the bus isn't coming...

(could be the title of this nice work)
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

John R

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »

I haven't looked at any other images for this maker, but the posted image is way overcooked. A gaudy bw-HDR. What a shame, he probably did not need any HDR!

JR
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:03:59 pm by John R »

Ivophoto

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 03:26:10 am »

I haven't looked at any other images for this maker, but the posted image is way overcooked. A gaudy bw-HDR. What a shame, he probably did not need any HDR!

JR
Agree, there is nothing good in this image, you can’t make a good picture out of nothing by cooking it.
Even the framing and the leveling is gratuit.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:23:35 am »

It comes up too large on my screen for comfortable viewing. It forces me to scan, and that kills it.

When I am trying to decide whether or not I want to work on something I have shot, I always reduce it to about six inches wide (for horizontal shots), because that way, the whole shot is easily seen for what it is. Other people may have a different optical comfort zone of course, but one can only speak for oneself.

Regarding the look: it seems to be quite common from small formats users - a hardish tonality that fits some things but perhaps not others, but then everything is like that...

If it has a more basic problem as a shot, perhaps it's that there's no excitement beyond wondering what the shooter saw. Again, everything is generally like that.

However, compared with the rash of new crusading editors over on another thread, this photo gets off lightly!

Who'd want to work with or for the public?

;-)

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:40:26 pm »

I agree re. the tilt: either straighten it out or do it even more.  :)  The contrast is hard, a look I've seen quite a lot in recent years. A matter of taste IMO so I won't knock it.

-Dave-

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »

A gaudy bw-HDR. What a shame, he probably did not need any HDR!
I am not sure I see the HDR. How do you take multiple exposures of street work like this to do HDR?

Ivophoto

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 05:55:42 pm »

I am not sure I see the HDR. How do you take multiple exposures of street work like this to do HDR?

I don’t think it is HDR, the microcontrast is boosted before B+W conversion. Or a Bit to much Silver efex.

John R

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:23:54 am »

I don’t think it is HDR, the microcontrast is boosted before B+W conversion. Or a Bit to much Silver efex.
I am sorry for being so harsh, initially. I thought we were being directed to a website the poster wanted us to look at. I should be more careful when reading text and not so hasty in replying. Better to be a little constructive than simply trash peoples images.

As to the image, it has some good qualities. There is good perspective and the eye moves from front to back nicely via the narrowing of the roadway. It captures the glow of the streets on a rainy day. And also the mundaneness of urban life. One could argue the look of the people exemplifies that mundaneness. Of course, as mentioned, perhaps straightening the verticals would help. My criticism of the HDR look, still stands.

HDR can be done within one image, and any major HDR program can do it. Of course, I can be wrong about how this look was achieved, but it still has the gaudy HDR look which has given HDR such a bad reputation. It's sort of ultra-reality=not real or realistic!! Unless deliberate, this is not what most people desire in their photography.

Hope this was more helpful than my original response.

JR

Ivophoto

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 04:01:24 am »

I am sorry for being so harsh, initially. I thought we were being directed to a website the poster wanted us to look at. I should be more careful when reading text and not so hasty in replying. Better to be a little constructive than simply trash peoples images.

As to the image, it has some good qualities. There is good perspective and the eye moves from front to back nicely via the narrowing of the roadway. It captures the glow of the streets on a rainy day. And also the mundaneness of urban life. One could argue the look of the people exemplifies that mundaneness. Of course, as mentioned, perhaps straightening the verticals would help. My criticism of the HDR look, still stands.

HDR can be done within one image, and any major HDR program can do it. Of course, I can be wrong about how this look was achieved, but it still has the gaudy HDR look which has given HDR such a bad reputation. It's sort of ultra-reality=not real or realistic!! Unless deliberate, this is not what most people desire in their photography.

Hope this was more helpful than my original response.

JR

Good feedback.

When we would take the time to read interesting images with the same effort you did, we would have good conversations about something instead of about nothing.
I had several conversations with the lector when I was at art academy about why we spent so much time trying to find the effort in a poor image. Good images left aside not discussed. I always found this a strange approach.

One explanation was that the maker of a weak picture could use the feed back more than a better photographer. A reasonable argument. We didn’t have a kind of  masterclass to discuss the more mature work, as a result the level of the discussions never raised above beginners level.

It is easier to give negative feedback. Formulating positive feed back seems te be difficult for some reason.

It is of more value to speak about what is good, on the other hand, it doesn’t harm to name things by it’s name.

The above picture was not put on the table for critique, it was posted as an example of the pretty good work linked to.

I agree there is a to appreciate effort in the image but that doesn’t make it a pretty good image.

(All very subjective for sur)

Cheers

Ivo
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:06:53 am by Ivophoto »

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 04:40:02 am »

Good images speak for themselves, better than the second-guessers can write.

With shitty images, there's lots of fun to be had, and lots of assumed superiority to display.

Life and photography are both cruel bitches, even as they rub your back and kiss your lips.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 05:09:28 am »

Good images speak for themselves, better than the second-guessers can write.

That, Rob, should have been written as the opening motto of your WP thread. I mean: can you be any more succinct?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ivophoto

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:25 am »

Good images speak for themselves

Rob

Yep, but that doesn’t mean that an image written in a visual language not understood by the viewer is per definition crap.
It’s at this point things get difficult and where words are useful to describe what the image bring about.

Example: John made a good attempt to read the image, I can do two things, I can consider John as a visual analphabète and make my own story, or I can join John in his discourse and try to follow how he experience the image.
Of course it would be nice if we also did this effort on what is considered great.
It could result in a confirmation of its greatness, it could also result in a total deception and an unmasking of a hyped nothing.

Ivophoto

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 05:33:45 am »

shitty images

Could this be a title of a new sub forum or even a new stock agency?

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:09 am »

Could this be a title of a new sub forum or even a new stock agency?

Well, one could begin to stock it with a few choice wilderness pictures - apparently.

;-)

Ivophoto

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 07:22:23 am »

Well, one could begin to stock it with a few choice wilderness pictures - apparently.

;-)

Ha, did I miss something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up