Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better color or monochrome at 25% resolution?  (Read 880 times)

StoryinPictures

Better color or monochrome at 25% resolution?
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:45:58 pm »

I can't imagine this hasn't been discussed (and if it has, I would appreciate links if you have them), but I can't figure out search terms to find it.

I have been wondering if, instead of demosaicing an image the traditional way, if there might be an advantage to taking four individual sensors on a Bayer and converting them to one pixel. This would, of course, cut the resolution by 75%, but it would, in essence, create a larger "individual sensor" which reads all the color information by combining the values.

If this worked, the red channel would only contain information from the red sensors, the green channel would contain the information from combined green sensors and the blue channel would contain only data from the blue sensors.

Would this create a file with cleaner colors since they are not interpolated?  Would it create better monochrome files?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Better color or monochrome at 25% resolution?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:42:45 pm »

I think what you are referring to is "binning" pixels. There is literature on it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kirkt

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:45:29 am »

You mean half-size image rendering?

http://chrisjones.id.au/Half%20Size/halfsize.html
for example.

Some raw converters permit this option (dcraw, libraw, Raw Photo Processor, probably Raw Therapee).

kirk

StoryinPictures

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:20:16 am »

You mean half-size image rendering?

http://chrisjones.id.au/Half%20Size/halfsize.html
for example.

Some raw converters permit this option (dcraw, libraw, Raw Photo Processor, probably Raw Therapee).

kirk

Exactly that!  Thank you.

Which application are you using in that screenshot?l [found it: Raw Photo Processor]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:28:25 am by StoryinPictures »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:46:59 pm »

Would this create a file with cleaner colors since they are not interpolated?  Would it create better monochrome files?

You'll (probably) trade fewer false color artifacts for more Luminosity aliasing, and lower resolution. You could create a similar effect by downsampling with sub-optimal filtering.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up