Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr6: How to fix keywords being autocorrected incorrectly  (Read 972 times)

dreed

Lr6: How to fix keywords being autocorrected incorrectly
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:00:31 am »

I have a problem with LR6 where it is "autocorrecting" my keywords for me and putting them into parts of the keyword tree incorrectly.

What's even worse is when I try to use the keyword editor to remove the offensive parts (by removing the "< X < Y", Lr just adds them back in again.

I want to throw a brick through the screen. I never had this problem with Lr4, skipped Lr5 and only recently moved to Lr6 due to a new camera. This keyword problem is driving me crazy. There was nothing wrong with it in Lr4 but someone obviously needed to "improve" it ...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lr6: How to fix keywords being autocorrected incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:53:51 am »

I can't think of anything that has changed in keywording since version 1.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 02:49:27 pm »

I’m using an older version of Lightroom CC (2015.6).  In Preferences>Interface there’s a section that might be at play in this.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 03:49:01 pm »

Clearing previous suggestions may help.

I was wrong about nothing changing - people keywords were new in Lr4 or 5.

dreed

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:25:14 am »

I disabled "suggestions" and cleared the suggestion list.

In the keywording for an import I just did, I put in "2018 < 10 < 24, 2018 < 10, 2018,".

What I got was "2018 < 10 < 2007 < DATE" and "2018 < 10 < 24 < 10 < 2010" as well. WTF did that come from?

I wish I could meet the people responsible at Adobe who decided that this "feature" was a good idea. Then again, maybe not. "Shit for brains" is the best adjective that I can associate with these people.

"Bright boys at Adobe".

They're about as bright as where the sun don't shine.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:59:16 am »

It doesn't do things on its own. You probably weren't paying enough attention to what you were doing. Review the import dialog and whether there's a metadata template, and compare what's shown in the Keywording panel's Enter Keywords view with its Will Export view.

ButchM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:34:16 am »

Keep in mind that there is 'auto complete' which is a function carried out by Lightroom ... then there may be 'autocorrect' which is a feature handled by the OS to simplify correcting spelling errors.

You may find you need to turn off autocorrect at the system level (or for Lightroom separately if your OS allows that) ... or ... teach the autocorrect function the proper spellings for your particular usage.

In macOS, I quite often have to train autocorrect the proper spellings for names ... for example I had now fewer than 11 female athletes this fall sports season with the first name of McKenzie ... that was also spelled Mackenzie, MacKenzy and McKenzi ... all were correct spellings, but my OS only recognized the first version as the correct spelling until I trained it to honor the other versions by selecting the word spelled properly, right clicking and selecting 'Learn spelling' from the drop down options. Problem solved for me.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:56:31 am »

It doesn't do things on its own. You probably weren't paying enough attention to what you were doing. Review the import dialog and whether there's a metadata template, and compare what's shown in the Keywording panel's Enter Keywords view with its Will Export view.

With no metadata template enabled, it turned "11 > 2018, 2018" into "2018, 2018 < 11 < 2007 < DATE".

The worst part about this is that the "autocorrect" happens after you've finished with the keyword entry so you can't correct it. I don't mind suggestions but changing the keywords AFTER I've pressed enter is pretty annoying. Lr playing God and thinking it knows what is best.

After turning of "autocorrect", now I have to type the entry meta data entry in.

So either Lr does its own thing with keywords or I enter them all in manually. How fucked is that.

I suspect the problem here is it looks for "11" and finds it someplace in my keyword tree which means that the keyword autocorrection is broken in a pretty significant way: it gets confused by duplicate/already existing names that are elsewhere in your keyword tree.

Sorry, I lie.

With "Autocomplete text in keyword Tags Field" cleared (and restarted after) plus "Offer suggestions ..." from the Metadata/Catalog Settings cleared, it still gave me rubbish extras in my keyword list when I use a metadata preset. Fuckers.

To add insult to injury, it is not possible for me to fix these fuckups by Lr though editing keywords in the keyword window. I've got to manually fix them by editing the keyword list.

Does the engineer responsible for this crap read LuLa by any chance?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:06:47 am by dreed »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:10 am »

Probably not, but maybe he or she would agree that it's user error anyway and be unpersuaded by your ranting.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »

I had to turn off autocorrect in the operating system when I realized it was correcting people's names. Then I would get calls -- "where are the photos of XX from last night" and when I looked, the captions had been "corrected" and misspelled their names. Argh.

Can I suggest you try Photo Mechanic for metadata? In my experience it's really much better than Lightroom for captions, keywords, etc. Faster, easier to use. In the case of Keywords, the Structured Keywords Panel will change your life. The IPTC Stationery Pad too. Well, they changed mine, anyway. YMMV. There's a free 30-day trial, of course. The usual disclaimer - I'm just a user.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up