Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital wide angle  (Read 9733 times)

Stealthfixr

digital wide angle
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:27:30 pm »

I just bought a 10-22 Canon EF-S lens, as well as the 17-40/4L and 70-200/4L.  I am not a professional, but it seems the 10-22 compares very well with the 17-40 in terms of build and initial image quality impressions.  I've not tested it over a long period of time, but it's a solid keeper so far.  Also, it takes the same lens hood as the 17-40, so if you have both do not buy the additional hood for the 10-22.  It also takes normal thickness 77mm filters without vignetting--very nice for such an incredible coverage.  Wide angle distortion can be very fun to play with, too.  Good luck!

ptelgenhoff@hotmail.com

digital wide angle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:00:13 pm »

Thanks so much for responding...I will keep checking it out but it looks like a solid yes on the canon...Do you know by any chance why the sites are saying that the angle of view on the sigma 12-24mm is wider (122) than the canon 10-22mm (107) ?

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Canon-comp-lenses.htm

But this site shows otherwise....
http://www.canon-20d.com/wide-angle-lens-compare.php

I don't know what to think>>>

akclimber

digital wide angle
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 04:32:21 pm »

Don't rule out using the kit lens and stitching multiple images (altho frankly, 18mm is pretty wide even on a 1.6 crop DSLR).  See my recent post in the "7 tips for Landscapes" thread for some thoughts and images of SE Alaska.

Enjoy your trip.  If you'd like info on photo ops here in SE Alaska, let me know.

CHeers!

akclimber

digital wide angle
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 01:17:17 pm »

Hi there, Will you be visiting Southeast Alaska/Juneau? Let me know some details and I can give you some tips.  If you're headed up north, I think Nome and Kodiak are both beautiful (but very different) places.  If you're headed to Juneau, the best under utilized (by tourists) vantage point to get awesome panos of the Mendenhall glacier is from the North Douglas boat ramp.  Just tell a cab driver that's where you want to go.  The best place to get cool shots of Juneau is from Douglas also.  Tell the cab driver you want to go to Douglas Harbor/out onto Mayflower/Juneau Island to take panos of Juneau with the mt Juneau in the background ( a great nighttime pano).

Anyway, just some thoughts.

As for stitching try here:

http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

or here:

http://www.ptgui.com/

to get you started.  Don't be put off by the apparent complexity of it all.  If I can do it, anybody can.

CHeers!

ptelgenhoff@hotmail.com

digital wide angle
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 10:02:28 am »

Well, I bought the Canon 10-22mm Lens and so far I love it! I can't believe the difference. WOW. Now I am REALLY looking forward to Alaska!

ptelgenhoff@hotmail.com

digital wide angle
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:12:12 am »

Hello: I have the digital rebel and an assortment of lenses. However, the widest lens I have is the kit 18-55mm. I am going to Alaska this summer and I want to get a wide angle. Can't spend a lot but was looking at the Canon 10-22mm and the Sigma 12-22mm. Anyone have any issues with these beyond the obvious that the canon will only work on my rebel? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...If you have another suggestion in the same basic price range, let me know.

giles

digital wide angle
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:36:20 pm »

Can't spend a lot but was looking at the Canon 10-22mm and the Sigma 12-22mm. Anyone have any issues with these beyond the obvious that the canon will only work on my rebel?
I have the 10-22 ... but haven't been able to get out and use it yet.  Michael's review was favourable and it's much, much, nicer in build than the kit lens that I also have.

The EF-S lenses work on the original Rebel, the Rebel XT, and the 20D.  I expect Canon to keep the EF-S lens mount in its entry level cameras for a long time, and even if they don't ... there are a lot of those three models out there.

Giles

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
digital wide angle
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 09:40:15 pm »

Thanks so much for responding...I will keep checking it out but it looks like a solid yes on the canon...Do you know by any chance why the sites are saying that the angle of view on the sigma 12-24mm is wider (122) than the canon 10-22mm (107) ?
on't know what to think>>>
My understanding is that the Sigma can be used on FF (24*36 mm) bodies, while the Canon can only be used on 1.6 crop Canon digital bodies.

This probably explains the angular coverage difference. The image circle of the Sigma is much wider.

Best regards,
Bernard

ptelgenhoff@hotmail.com

digital wide angle
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 12:16:30 am »

I would love tips on photo ops...especially those that are a bit unknown. Thanks for all of the replies. I need to sit down and figure out how to stitch photos together...have heard it is possible, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks again!

ptelgenhoff@hotmail.com

digital wide angle
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 01:22:22 am »

Sounds wonderful. We will be in Victoria, Juneau and Skagway, and Ketchecan...We will cruise Tracy Arm and then head back. It will be a great trip. Thanks for the info. Must be nice to live up in God's country! Heehee. See ya!

akclimber

digital wide angle
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 04:40:13 pm »

Enojy your trip!  The inside passage is a beautiful place.  I just heard that Tracy Arm is pretty clogged with ice that's calved off the glaciers.  Here's hoping things clear up a bit and you guys have no trouble navigating into the upper portions of the Arm (it's a very cool place - one that I never tired of going to with out of town guests).

CHeers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up