Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New beginnings  (Read 4861 times)

Krug

New beginnings
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:58:53 am »

Probably worth a B- for a high school student essay.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New beginnings
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:19:52 am »

I struggled with both the article and the photos. I don't see the connection between the first half on personal growth and the second half - seemingly a book-jacket summary of several junctures in the history of modern art; nor do I understand how the photos relate to the essay. I also missed the point of those photos, whether as documents or exercises in photographics. I am of course prepared to be educated - maybe it's just me being dense this morning.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:43 am »

An editor required. Pretty awful use of punctuation, confusing as much as enlightening.

The photographs? Reminded me of the late David Hamilton but, sadly, without his girls.

Sometimes a mannerism helps push something to a higher level; sometimes, a mannerism is just a mannerism.

Rob

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:51:45 am »

Can some one please explain what's the point and the significance of this essay?

jmlphotography

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:16:19 am »

Apparently I'm in the minority, I enjoyed the article. I found it thoughtful and well said. The message, while basic, is well worth repeating.  Regarding the images, as a body of work, I thought they exactly reflected the theme of the article, i.e., they conveyed feeling that is more than a literal representation of the subject. What feeling?  That would depend on the viewer.  I actually cycled through the images several times, spending a few seconds on each.  A single image perhaps would not have such an effect, but as body of work it does so, for me, in spades. 

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:37:35 am »

I also enjoyed the essay and the photographs.

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:11:20 am »

Editorial filler.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:29:44 am »

I thought this article was something different and maybe there would be some people who enjoyed an essay like this. 

I have had limited access to the internet over the last few days as I am moving into a new home and wifi and systems are kind of in limbo.  We should be back in full operation by next Wednesday. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 01:11:15 pm »

A fine enough article and fine images.

P.S. Is "sited" a Canadian, more polite version of "cited"? ;)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 04:13:57 pm »

I think this sort of thing adds a lot of depth to the front page.

I did not love this particular essay, to be honest, in a large part because it's written pretty clunkily. The constant "sited from here" inserts, and the various typos etc just were too dense to let me sit back and read it. Also, baby teeth fall out WELL after the kid's finished being a toddler.

But the sentiment was sound, and the pictures worked well with it. They're very much in that irritating modern "vernacular styled" things, but I have definitely seen worse. Also, I am a huge fan of words+pictures.

I don't see myself subscribing to Mono Chroma, though. The writing and editing need to step up a notch or three before it's actually worth money.

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 04:22:13 pm »

. . .  in a large part because it's written pretty clunkily . . .

+1  I think it is a fine "early effort" in writing and combining photos.  It's just not ready for prime time, as they say.  I agree with those who found the last half not at all, or at least too distantly, related to the first half.  Typically you can get away with about 3 main (and related) points in an endeavor such as this.

I do like the concept of essays + photos, however and am glad to see continuing effort in that direction.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 11:01:17 am »

A refreshing change of subject, meaning more ambiguous, subjective and interpretive. The photography is wonderful, and while the history lesson in the essay was overdone, nevertheless it nicely provided a point of view for those who need or want it.

Good choice, Kevin.

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 04:09:46 pm »

I like the photos, so I can forgive the text being in need of an additional editing/revising pass.

-Dave-

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 07:51:47 am »

I like this essay and I hope LL does much more in this line. Almost any site can do a gear review but very few sites go deeper into the image and the process of creation itself. Doing so has always been something which distinguishes LL from other sites. It’s just not all about the gear. The essay’s stylistic infelicities, if any, do not bother me. Often, changing them into something more “correct” silences the writer’s own voice (and I am saying this as a former professional book editor). Silencing is one of the hot topics of our time, hence #metoo among many other things.

I’m glad, too, that the essay seems to have pressed a few buttons. Good. It means the essay isn’t bland and by hitting some nerves perhaps it has started people thinking and, maybe, trying a few new ideas of their own. So many thanks.
Mark @ Flickr

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »

I like this essay and I hope LL does much more in this line. Almost any site can do a gear review but very few sites go deeper into the image and the process of creation itself. Doing so has always been something which distinguishes LL from other sites. It’s just not all about the gear. The essay’s stylistic infelicities, if any, do not bother me. Often, changing them into something more “correct” silences the writer’s own voice (and I am saying this as a former professional book editor). Silencing is one of the hot topics of our time, hence #metoo among many other things.

I’m glad, too, that the essay seems to have pressed a few buttons. Good. It means the essay isn’t bland and by hitting some nerves perhaps it has started people thinking and, maybe, trying a few new ideas of their own. So many thanks.

That's some leap, equating reaction with something not being bland; if it has started people thinking, then they must have been in a collective coma before they picked it up.

Why does this remind me of those blasted glasses, you know, the ones half full whilst also half empty?

;-)

Ray Harrison

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 08:44:06 am »

I liked the overall sentiment expressed in the essay though I did find it meandering. For me personally, I really enjoy a well written essay when I can find one. It takes a certain kind of mind to do it really well because, like poetry, the writer needs to distill large ideas into fewer words and more concise forms. It takes a lot of practice and discipline and is an art form in and of itself.

I too would have liked to have had it have an editorial review. I personally don't believe that asking an author to spell or use words correctly or even tightening their prose is silencing their voice (just the opposite, actually), but that's just me. The images were very good and evocative.

Lastly, I agree wholeheartedly that this is great to have on the site. More please!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 10:03:01 am »

The photos work very well as a body of work, as someone else already pointed out. The essay itself, seems like it was written during a 30 minute train journey while commuting.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »

I don't see myself subscribing to Mono Chroma

Mono Chroma seems to be a very interesting publication, and it would be a shame for that to be lost in this drubbing of one essay.  It has the potential to provide exposure to a whole host of talented photographers who might otherwise remain in obscurity.  The work I see there is diverse and original, and some could potentially influence my own photographic style.  The fine art photo magazine is a risky and difficult business model, and many have fallen by the wayside.  We should applaud the courage of the intrepid souls who have put Mono Chroma together.  It deserves a close look, and I hope it provides enough value that at least some in this community choose to support the efforts of the publisher and the contributing artists.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »

Mono Chroma seems to be a very interesting publication, and it would be a shame for that to be lost in this drubbing of one essay.  It has the potential to provide exposure to a whole host of talented photographers who might otherwise remain in obscurity.  The work I see there is diverse and original, and some could potentially influence my own photographic style.  The fine art photo magazine is a risky and difficult business model, and many have fallen by the wayside.  We should applaud the courage of the intrepid souls who have put Mono Chroma together.  It deserves a close look, and I hope it provides enough value that at least some in this community choose to support the efforts of the publisher and the contributing artists.

I agree. It does look interesting and deserves support.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 05:56:41 pm »

I agree. It does look interesting and deserves support.

It does look interesting, indeed.  Kind of like LensWork, and I enjoy Brooks Jensen's writing as much as the images. 

Wonder why the name "Mono" when clearly color photography is included.  Oh, well. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:10:15 pm by nirpat89 »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up