Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA332UHD-2 4K - Calibration for individual paper types  (Read 1334 times)

Majohnson

NEC PA332UHD-2 4K - Calibration for individual paper types
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:18:50 am »

Hi

I have recently swapped my Eizo CG2480 for an NEC PA332UHD-2 4K monitor.

I swapped as a I got an amazing deal on the NEC as it had one dead pixel in the top right hand corner so a new monitor cost me $1850 AUD ($1300 USD). I do enjoy the monitor but find it harder/frustrating to adjust the white point for precise paper calibration using the SpectraviewII software. I use an Xrite i1display to calibrate the screen.

The colour wheel presented for visual match adjustments is very small and the slightest adjustment with the mouse makes big changes to the RGB values. The Eizo was much easier because it provide a large colour wheel for adjusting which was focused on the range of colours around white so much easier to make precise changes with slight mouse adjustments.

I know the NEC also includes the RGB values which can be used to make precise adjustments but this isn't as easy and timely as the Eizo software.

Is there an alternative to using the tiny colour wheel in the visual match adjustments screen?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: NEC PA332UHD-2 4K - Calibration for individual paper types
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:21 am »

Multiprofiler>Edit...>Quick Edit>White Point> CIE: adjust x,y coordinates with arrow buttons until you get visual match
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Majohnson

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:30 am »

Thank you!
That is much easier and I can then copy those setting back into my profiles.

Regards Mark

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:25:12 am »

Multiprofiler>Edit...>Quick Edit>White Point> CIE: adjust x,y coordinates with arrow buttons until you get visual match
Spectraview has the feature too.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:38:00 am »

Spectraview has the feature too.

Visual match feature of SVII is less convenient - there's RGB control rather than x,y. I prefer to set wtpt using x,y controls via Multiprofiler and read it in SVII to use it as a calibration target.

Majohnson

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:47:35 am »

I prefer the Multiprofiler now that I've used it. Spectraview would be perfect if they just included a large colour circle instead of the tiny one currently in use.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:26 am »

Visual match feature of SVII is less convenient - there's RGB control rather than x,y.
Sorry, I don't understand the last bit (rather than) as I see x/y in my copy of SpectraView:
It's not 'visual'?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 12:40:11 pm »

Sorry, I don't understand the last bit (rather than) as I see x/y in my copy of SpectraView:
It's not 'visual'?

It’s not, it doesn’t change the wtpt before calibration to match visual apparance of dusplay white with the paper. You need to click „visual match” below, and you only have color weel and RGB there ;)

Doug Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 02:42:04 pm »

I have two monitors, an LED backlit Eizo 318 and CFL backlit cheapo. The Eizo works well using its built in colorimeter. Using those coordinates with an I1Pro 2 produced different whites so I wound up using Photoshop to create a large, white area on the second monitor and adjusted the RGBs to produce a matching white to the Eizo. Then measured the xy and used that in the profiling software's whitepoint. So now the two monitor's match quite well.

* as a side note the LED monitor's white and the CFL's white, both measured with the I1Pro 2, had materially different xy coordinates to get the whites to match. Even using 1931 10 degree CMFs, which were closer than the 2 degree readings. Likely individual variation and age related yellowing (me, not the monitors).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:08:21 pm by Doug Gray »

Majohnson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »

Digitaldog, in reference to your screen shot, what would solve everything for me would be that the size of the colour circle to pick a point was the same size as the white circle used to measure the white point once making an adjustment. That would allow me to make more small precise adjustments for paper colour with the mouse on screen instead of the big colour shifts that I am currently experiencing with the tiny colour circle.

Probably not an issue for an experienced person but I’m just starting out.

daicehawk

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 06:30:16 pm »

I have two monitors, an LED backlit Eizo 318 and CFL backlit cheapo. The Eizo works well using its built in colorimeter. Using those coordinates with an I1Pro 2 produced different whites so I wound up using Photoshop to create a large, white area on the second monitor and adjusted the RGBs to produce a matching white to the Eizo. Then measured the xy and used that in the profiling software's whitepoint. So now the two monitor's match quite well.

* as a side note the LED monitor's white and the CFL's white, both measured with the I1Pro 2, had materially different xy coordinates to get the whites to match. Even using 1931 10 degree CMFs, which were closer than the 2 degree readings. Likely individual variation and age related yellowing (me, not the monitors).
Do not forget the non-uniformity of the backlight. The calibration emission area is less than a percent of a display, so probably the averaging by the eye and the exact measurement by the spectro may quite differ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up