Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson P800 and loading 13x19in paper... HeLp!!!!  (Read 3192 times)

DavidPalermo

New Epson P800 and loading 13x19in paper... HeLp!!!!
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:39 pm »

I replaced my Epson 3800 with a new Epson P800 and I am still getting used to using the front loader to load paper. Before I blow my top I thought I'd take a few breaths and write you all.

I am loading Hahnemuhle Bamboo paper.  It's 13x19in or A3+ (Super A3 I think).  So many names for it.  On the front loading tray of the P800 it aligns at the A3+ mark.

So I follow the instruction and slide the paper in and then align it to the right side of the tray... just like I do with letter sized paper.  On the touch screen front panel it asks what size paper it is and I go through Epson's options...  A3+ is not listed of course so I choose 13x19 which is listed and is the size of the paper.  It then loads the paper in and seems ok... ready to print!

In LightRoom I choose A3+ front poster board. Media Type:  Velvet Fine Art 

Everything seems great so far! 

I then proceed to make a print and the P800 beeps and says, "Replace with the following paper...  - poster board, - A3, - Velvet Fine Art."

What???  I re-load and it says the same thing.

If you have read this far I THANK YOU.

Have any of you experienced this? Do you have a solution other than to call Epson which I will do tomorrow?

Grrrrrrrrrr.... I thought I'd enjoy this new printer! ; )

Thanks,

David

DavidPalermo

Re: New Epson P800 and loading 13x19in paper... HeLp!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »

Well, good 'ol Epson's tech support is open until 8PM so I called them tonight and they solved the problem. The solution is to choose -  in LightRoom (or Photoshop) "A3+".  Then on the printer after you load the paper choose "13x19in". Not very intuitive at all. Anyway, it's working now.

Epson needs to make it so that both say the same thing on the printer's display as well as in Page Setup options.  Sheesh! Someone please tell the engineers!!!!!

; )

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:34:28 pm »

Actually, if you are using the Epson driver from Lightroom, it doesn't matter what is on the Printer LCD. The key thing is to match the Media Type, Black ink type, paper size and the loading path with what you are doing with the printer; it's all controlled from the driver settings.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DavidPalermo

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:01:21 pm »

It was a "paper size, loading path" that was confusing.

Epson's P800 manual references the front loader that can load "poster board" and fine art paper.

In LightRoom when you go to "Page Setup" there is an option labeled "A3+ (Front Poster Board)" which is what I chose and that seems to be what caused the problem. Epson said to use "A3+" option instead... that worked.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:37:02 pm »

Good.

Those driver settings can be a bit confusing, but sooner or later we get to know what works and what doesn't!

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »

Hi,
I have a P800 and I get the full range of standard paper sizes in inches, including 13 by 19. The A and J series are also there, but at the bottom of the list.

It may be a matter of System Preference – Language and Region. Go to ADVANCED, and choose US for Measurements units. I had the same or similar issue with the printer or maybe some other program where I could not get the imperial/US measurements showing. That was fixed once I chose my region as Canada and set the Measurements Units to US.The default measurements units for Canada is Metric, so you need to change that. I am on a MAC.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:28:41 pm by JeanMichel »

DavidPalermo

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »

Thanks all. It's working well now. I am now looking for info for Epson's new Legacy papers of which I have a few sample packs of. I looked on Epson's web site and can't find any info on what to set the Media Type to when using Advanced BW driver. I want to test all 4 papers and I assume they have different media types. First up is Legacy Etching. I assume the media type is Velvet Fine art but I don't know for sure. WHY doesn't Epson make this easier for us!!!???

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 08:15:47 pm »

Epson has produced documentation stating which Media Types to use for which papers. I may have also mentioned this in my reviews of all those Legacy papers on this website - have you checked?

DavidPalermo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:21 am »

I have checked. I even called Epson and asked. The person I spoke with didn’t know so I’ll call them again on Monday.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:01:32 am by DavidPalermo »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:47:13 am »

I don't understand what's going on here. You raised this two years ago and we responded two years ago:

Epson Legacy Media Types

Was there anything wrong with that advice?

As well, starting from here: https://epson.ca/professional-imaging-media, once you follow the links to download the profiles, there usually are instructions with the profile telling you which Media Type to use. Have you tried that? These Media Types would also work using ABW mode if you insist on printing that way.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 11:41:44 am »

I know... my mistake.  That was back when I had the 3800 and I decided to wait until I have a newer printer to use the newer papers. My apologies Mark.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 12:39:07 pm »

No problem. I assume by now all this is adequately sorted out.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »

Apparently the media types for Legacy Paper are not posted online. I called Epson again and after talking to two more people they sent me some data sheets confirming what you said Mark. Kinda strange they are not online.  Thank you!

DavidPalermo

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 09:24:31 pm »

Hi all,

Here is what I received from Epson via eMail regarding Legacy Papers. I bundled them all for you to say thank you for your help!  You can download here:

http://www.davidpalermophotography.com/LegacyPapers.zip

David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:17 pm »

Thank you David.
Pages: [1]   Go Up