Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Acquisition Syndrome  (Read 2901 times)

eurgain

Paper Acquisition Syndrome
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:05:05 pm »

Hi

Everyone, I am sure, has heard of GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I think I have succumbed to a new malady: PAS - Paper Acquisition Syndrome!

I have a huge stack of boxes of paper: Twelve Hahnemuhle, Seven Canson, Four Permajet, Three Epson... and every time I read another good review of paper, I want to go and buy it (and often do!).

Print is my thing, so I make a lot of prints, but even so, I probably have enough paper to last me several lifetimes! I just cannot help buying another box when something new comes out, especially when it is an "arty" paper. I cannot resist a new matte, subtly textured lovely thing... New paper is to me like a chocolate cake on a counter to so many people or a new camera body to some others.

I am extremely attached to some of my lenses, care little about my camera bodies, but I'd put up with an old box brownie so long as I could print on  Hahnemuhle Museum Etching...  My dream paper!

Is anyone else this way inclined?

Alistair

PS: I am *very* good at mental arithmetic, but cannot do the human tests without a calculator!

mearussi

Re: Paper Acquisition Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:12 pm »

I did the same when I first started printing as I knew nothing. But over a period of years, and lots of tests later, I've now settled on just a few favorites.

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:20:31 pm »

Yes, I think you can argue that I'm also guilty of / infected with Paper Acquisition Syndrome (and some of the 'papers' I've tried are not even close to containing paper--like Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film). That said, first, arguably compared to most newly-acquired gear, the paper choice makes a bigger impact on your prints. Second, trying new papers does not have to be nearly as expensive as Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Got an interest? Get a 20- or 25-sheet pack of letter- or A4-size paper and try it!

In addition to all of the 'standard' OEM papers (I have an Epson at home and we have a Canon at work), I have bought full boxes of Hahnemuhle, Red River, Inkpress, and Mitsubishi Pictorico papers; smaller (< 20 sheets) packs of Canson and Inkpress papers; and some Red River samplers. I don't like them all, but I think I have learned something from them all.

The biggest problem for me is that for many papers, the paper manufacturers don't supply ICC profiles for the little old Epson R280 I have at home.* In some cases they supply Epson 1400 profiles, and often (but not always!) those are quite close. In some cases they supply Epson Artisan 1430 (a/k/a 1500) profiles, and those have been more of a mixed bag for the R280. In some cases I've found nothing useful. My next plan for cheap exploration is to rent a basic X-Rite device from LensRentals.com and make some profiles myself, for papers that seem promising or look good on the Pro-100, but for which I don't have a profile for the R280.

Regardless, for me this is a hobby and an interest, and trying new papers is fun!

* They almost always have profiles for the Canon Pro-100 at work, so that gives me a reasonable testbed for any paper for which dye inks are a good choice.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:37:55 am »

Everyone, I am sure, has heard of GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I think I have succumbed to a new malady: PAS - Paper Acquisition Syndrome!

Got it. Still hoping for a cure.

Jeremy

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:29:29 am »

Got it. Still hoping for a cure.

Jeremy

One cure might be in the fact that so many papers are actually the same but just have another name and another brand to supply them.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:17:14 am »

One cure might be in the fact that so many papers are actually the same but just have another name and another brand to supply them.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
This is pretty much where I see things and I'm also limited in terms of storage space.  There would have to be a really compelling reason to add a new paper to the four or so that I print on these days.

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:34:28 am »

While I’ve settled in on a few favorite papers (and their kissing cousins), I am always testing new offerings that might be of interest to my clients. 

One of the things I’ve discovered is that that the handling characteristics of a paper can push me in the direction of it being one that I use “most of time” versus an equally good paper being a pain in the butt re handling.  A good example of this is the difference between Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss vs. Epson Legacy Platine.  The Epson (in sheets) tends to have some curl at the corners that need to be “turned down” so that I don’t get head-strikes at the tail end of the print.  In contrast, the Ilford lies flat as a board and is so much easier to feed.  Both produce lovely and very similar results.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

stockjock

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:32 pm »

I have a terrible case of Paper Acquisition Syndrome.  Insatiable curiosity, the pursuit of the perfect paper, and a "penny wise pound foolish" mindset that makes it impossible for me to resist a deal has resulted in my having a couple of decades of paper.  The only good thing is most of the paper was bought at prices that are quite a bit less than they would cost today because of the rebates and sales I took advantage of.  That, and purchasing recently expired ink for 30% of retail, means I don't care much what my printing costs are.  Attached photo excludes the wire shelves filled with boxes of paper and the two dozen rolls of paper I store vertically.  I would say I definitely have a problem LOL.

MHMG

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 05:39:47 pm »

Don't get me started :) Both printers and papers!

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:45 am »

I did the same when I first started printing as I knew nothing. But over a period of years, and lots of tests later, I've now settled on just a few favorites.

Yes,I'm in the same boat.;but remember this,...we all could be in a, more dangerous hobby,drinking,drugs,gambling?,whatever?
and we all hope, that just maybe,we will get an improved print,or what we think,is an improved print.????

Mike

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:14 pm »

All of this problem brings up the problem of storage of finished prints. I thought I had solved the problem when my maximum print was 13"x19" and I had architects drawers built into the mill work in my office. Then I acquired a 17"x22" printer! I'm using empty sheet containers but can't find a Canadian (therefore cheaper) source of archival storage boxes. Anybody got a solution?

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 09:51:27 pm »

I've been telling my spouse for years that my photography obsession (gear, travel, paper, matte board, mostly TIME) is much cheaper than an airplane, a boat, or an exotic car. She's close to believing me but thankfully does not object to my "habit."

stockjock

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 02:11:53 pm »

All of this problem brings up the problem of storage of finished prints. I thought I had solved the problem when my maximum print was 13"x19" and I had architects drawers built into the mill work in my office. Then I acquired a 17"x22" printer! I'm using empty sheet containers but can't find a Canadian (therefore cheaper) source of archival storage boxes. Anybody got a solution?

I use these from Adorama but unsure what their shipping policy to Canada is.  But I would just google similar terms and see what comes up.   Prices seem to vary widely but quality not so much.  I think the metal reinforced corners are important.

https://www.adorama.com/fsbp17221.html

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »

My wife and I have used Talas in Brooklyn, New York (https://www.talasonline.com).

Their page on shipping addresses international shipping, and the website offers translation into several languages, so I suppose there is quite a bit of international interest in their products.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 10:45:26 am »

Unfortunately, the shipping costs from USA to Canada are prohibitive. The selection in Canada is limited but I continue the search.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 01:25:31 pm »

I hope you're able to find something that works for you.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:30 pm »

I've finally found a solution in Canada which I thought might be helpful for my compatriots. Brodart Canada has several solutions to this problem.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 04:53:33 pm »

Buying paper and ink is like shopping for fine scotch......expensive!
Dr D White DDS BSc

lara_ckl

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:30 pm »

Unfortunately, the shipping costs from USA to Canada are prohibitive. The selection in Canada is limited but I continue the search.

B&H have something similar.  B&H offers free shipping on most items if your order totals more than U$99.  You prepay HST and duties.  Delivery to Toronto is about 4-5 days from the time I place my order.

texshooter

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »

Any new papers released in the last few years?  I've fallen behind.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up