Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SilverFast 8.8 r14 update issue  (Read 6582 times)

Garnick

Re: SilverFast 8.8 r14 update issue
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 09:24:07 am »

Right. Nikon-made drivers are a thing of the past in the context of today's computer operating systems. When you buy SilverFast, unlike for Vuescan where one license gives access to all supported scanner models, you buy a separate license for each scanner. That license gives you access to one piece of software that does operate the one scanner model for which the software is licensed. Any one could look over both options and decide whether either or any of them are worthwhile.

Hi Mark,

Your reference to VueScan where one license covers access to many scanner models is quite correct of course.  I don't know if you have ever tried the VueScan app, but I have done so a few times on the Nikon 4000 Ed scanner.  In my opinion VueScan is good at what it does best, which is allow access to a variety of scanners.  Where it falls apart is in the actual quality of the scan.  As is often the case with any product that boasts that it can do everything for everyone and cover every situation, it often cannot do any one of those tasks well.  I am not saying that VueScan is a useless product, but I am saying that in my opinion it is far from a professional scanning software.  I ran a number of tests on a negative with the Nikon 4000 ED and VueScan and no matter what resolution I used, combined with various other settings, I could not get rid of the noise in the shadow areas of the image.  There was still some detail in those areas, but the noise was most obvious.  Since I do of course have Silverfast drivers for both of my Epson flatbed scanners,I have never tested either one with VueScan, nor would I.  However, I have no reason to expect anything better than what I encountered with the Nikon film scanner and VueScan.  I do keep VueScan updated for the unlikely possibility that Silverfast somehow crashing completely, although I do have backups for that scenario as well.

Gary         

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 10:53:12 am »

Gary, both products have evolved a lot over the years, so unless you've done very recent comparisons it's hard to come to any firm landing on which produces a better scan. I am using the latest versions of both applications and I just selected a Kodachrome slide with a lot of dark nasty material in it, used the same resolution, working space and profile in each software with my Nikon SC-5000-ED, opened the scans in Photoshop, enlarged them to 200% and pumped up the exposure to reveal the worst of it and I have to say - the image structure and noise looked very similar at any position along the tone scale. I much prefer the SilverFast GUI and the refinement of a number of its tools, but the image structure and noise characteristic (without performing any edits at the scan stage) look pretty much the same. I think these factors depend more on the film and the scanner than on the software driving the scanner.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jejes

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:09 am »

Please, has anybody the link or the version 8.8 r14 for Nikon. I can't find on Lasersfot servers. Thank You

saiguy

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 08:26:42 am »

If you have a license for a Nikon scanner, open it in SF8 and use the Service Dialog to check for update.

Mark has provided a screen grab earlier in this thread.

jejes

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 09:45:50 am »

I don't have a License. But i want to try the Demo r14, because this is the release that a friend has recommended me. Could anyone ask Lasersoft for me?

Thank You

Ray Harrison

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 11:32:02 am »

Is there a specific reason you can't ask them yourself? That would seem the best path forward, though you may want to consider the latest version. Is there something about v14 that you absolutely have to have that's broken in v15 or later?

saiguy

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 11:12:47 pm »

jejes. 

Go to the LSI web site and download the demo for your scanner. I think it will give you the latest version. Any scans you do will have a hugh water mark on them but you can test out the software. There is a big learning curve for SF8 if it is new to you. Make Segal has an excellent ebook avail through LSI if you want to go deep into how to use the software.

For a starter, do a prescan and then use the ACC mode, [auto color correction]. It will set a very good white point but you will have to set a good black point using the Histogram Tool, known as Levels in Photoshop.

The SF8 Ai Studio, or Archive Suite, are the only way to go.

degrub

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 11:55:34 pm »

I don't have a License. But i want to try the Demo r14, because this is the release that a friend has recommended me. Could anyone ask Lasersoft for me?

Thank You

JeJes,

You will have to contact them directly, either by telephone or by a support ticket. Otherwise, just download the latest demo version for your specific scanner and system.

We cannot help you with anything else about downloads or copies of the software.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up