Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Full Frame Camera announced  (Read 2373 times)

narikin

Zeiss Full Frame Camera announced
« on: September 27, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »

Zeiss FF camera announced
interesting design. Don't love it, but kudos to them for pushing the envelope.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Zeiss Full Frame Camera announced
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »

Zeiss FF camera announced
interesting design. Don't love it, but kudos to them for pushing the envelope.

Mostly the price envelope probably. ;)

But yes, it does offer something a bit different... in a pretty bulky package that could be compared in size to an a7rIII or Z7 with corresponding 35mm lenses.

But yes, Nikon and Canon should at least take note of the fact that an internal 512GB SSD uses very little physical space and could be a good solution for those camera not having enough space for 2 memory slots.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:20:34 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »

A full frame android camera, interesting.  I'm not thrilled with the idea of a bunch of scroll interaction on the screen - hopefully they'll figure a way to move the edit palette off to a paired smartphone.

I know CFexpress is the next removable card interface, but having a 128gb superfast onboard NVMe secondary buffer would help all high mp cameras.
t: @PNWMF

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:29:53 pm »

From the comments I get a distinct feeling that most people forgot about this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/985342-REG/samsung_galaxy_nx_mirrorless_digital.html
I don't see how this Zeiss pushes the envelope that much compared to a 5 year old camera besides having LR (and not other Android apps) on board.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:39:17 pm »

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea of processing images in camera, be it with an LR instance.

It couldn't be further than what I consider to be photography.

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:37:59 am »

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea of processing images in camera, be it with an LR instance.

It couldn't be further than what I consider to be photography.

Cheers,
Bernard

But this camera isn't made for you, or most of the people on this site.   It's a smart phone designed to look like a camera.   Maybe it shoots a better image than a phone, but v loggers, social media people, don't care about 12 to 24mp.   They want sabilization, the ability to do some slight easy corrects, video, face detection, continuous focus tracking and to put it the images or a movie clip on line a few minutes after they shoot it.

Before I would buy this I'd buy the I-phone-Xs  https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/cameras/
That's the market.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:07:44 am by bcooter »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:04:06 am »

But this camera isn't made for you, or most of the people on this site.   It's a smart phone designed to look like a camera.   

Yes BC, you have a point indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:00 am »

It just makes one wonder why we collectively insist on calling a mobile phone a "phone", as if that's any indication of its primary usage these days. In case anybody gets confused you might want to ask yourself this: do you really need that much GPU power and a billion AI multiplications a second, just to make a phonecall? Or send a text message?

99% of the horsepower inside of that device (and the corresponding batterydrain) is used for two purposes: to make your pictures look slightly more average, which admittedly for 50% of you is an improvement, and secondly to make the GUI act like it moves.

It's too bad that the amount of horsepower doesn't seem to have a meaningful relation with the actual value of the content, unfortunately.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:12 am »

It's too bad that the amount of horsepower doesn't seem to have a meaningful relation with the actual value of the content, unfortunately.

With all due respect, I don't think that is absolutely true.     Gen X or earlier want distinctive photos or films, though many don't want to study for 4 years to learn it, (though some do). 

I live in London and Santa Monica which has a lot of tourists.   Obviously most are using a phone doing selfies or images of landmarks, but in the last three years I've seen more of the starting generation of image makers carrying dslrs.   Now I don't stand on the corner with a chart keeping a record, but I have noticed it rather dramatically.  It is always a Nikon or Canon and last week noticed for the first time someone using a mirrorless camera, not that I don't think it's happening. 

My point about the new I-phone is it has a lot of tech in it and can do a lot for someone that wants to map out an image, relight the face, change the color and make it unique to them.  Some look very good.

IMO

BC

PS  I don't use my phone for anything but snaps or location images, but the new phone looks interesting and $1,700 for a camera phone is high, I have viewfinders for my RED's that cost more, so there is a big change coming and this looks like a tool that can be used.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:15:37 am »

I have no doubt that meaningful content is generated with any of these devices/tools, but the single most pressing issue and challenge that the next generation is facing is the question how you get the meaningful images to garner their due attention. How do you filter the wheat from the chaff. This is true for microlevel (e.g. your own imagedatabase) but also (perhaps more so) for the macrolevel, e.g. meaningful art.

Mind you, i don't deny anyone the pleasure of publishing selfies if that's what floats their boat, but i don't see how the imaging horsepower provided is in any way helping satisfy that customerbase. In all other senses the current functions (and hardware for that matter) on a hugely expensive phone can not exactly be considered anything other than gimicky, especially to the dscerning eye.

It certainly isn't providing 1700 dollars worth of imagingpipeline, not even with 3 sensors on board.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 12:07:38 pm »

Because of the SSD I would say it is an expensive disposable camera with planned obsolescence. I do not know, but I assume that the SSD can not be swapped.

Greeting Gerd

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »

Because of the SSD I would say it is an expensive disposable camera with planned obsolescence. I do not know, but I assume that the SSD can not be swapped.

Based on my own experience solid-state storage should last a good long time, certainly at least as long as most sensor-based cameras are kept in active service. My iPad 2 from early 2011, 64G of storage, is still going strong. I use it to run software music synthesizers and store audio and sequence data created by the synths. That 64G has been filled nearly to the brim, then emptied, then filled again countless times.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up