Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: mojave  (Read 3404 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: mojave
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 08:12:51 am »

Mark, this may help...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/28/why-macos-mojave-requires-metal----and-deprecates-opengl
Apple is catering to those who do movie editing (particularly CGI stuff) and 3-D work.  It's unlikely to me that this decision has much impact if any for those of us who do photo editing.  It also limits the type of hardware that one can use in the system to those that are compatible with Apples design specs and software.  Nothing wrong with that of course but it looks like NVIDIA GPUs won't be of use.  Fortunately, there are options available if one does not want to pay the "Apple surcharge"  ;)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:17 am »

Those NVIDIA GPUs designed for new Apple hardware and software will of course be compatible with them.

But more generally, who needs to invite potential headaches over all this stuff. With rumoured release of a new MacPro for some time over the next year or so, for me it's quite easy to just sit back and wait. Fortunately, the stuff I'm using now works well enough that I couldn't care less when they offer something newer and better, and when they do, I shall assess.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 08:56:39 am »

Those NVIDIA GPUs designed for new Apple hardware and software will of course be compatible with them.

But more generally, who needs to invite potential headaches over all this stuff. With rumoured release of a new MacPro for some time over the next year or so, for me it's quite easy to just sit back and wait. Fortunately, the stuff I'm using now works well enough that I couldn't care less when they offer something newer and better, and when they do, I shall assess.

Hi again Mark,

As someone who always waits at least 6 months to a year before upgrading my OS, I could not agree more with your approach to Upgrades.  As a matter of fact it was about 6 months ago that I upgraded from Mavericks to High Sierra, a total exaggeration of my previous sentence, but I had no particular reason to upgrade except perhaps for OS security updates.  I'm a firm believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke ....", and that has always been my guide to OS Upgrades as well.  I just posted on the Apple Forum / Mojave with an important question about the new "64bit only" OS, at least important to me and my workflow.  I hope to receive an answer soon from one of the folks whose expertise I respect.  While there I noticed a plethora of complaints referring to Mojave, which made me wonder why anyone would install an OS Upgrade without an OS backup strategy in place.  It's rather difficult if not impossible to go back.

EDIT:  Before I am corrected I decided to do so myself.  I was typing before thinking and made a mistake referring to Mojave as "64 bit only".  After a bit more research I was reminded that although it will run 32 bit apps, there may be a warning that the app has not been optimized for Mojave.  Silverfast has issued a notification about that in reference to my Espon 1680 scanner driver in Mojave.   

Gary   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:16:53 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 03:23:23 pm »

Ya, as a former industrial/energy development advisor I think I have some notions of materials technology encompassing metals, petrochemicals and a bunch of other stuff; but you were probably joking by making that reference.

Nonetheless, for avoidance of doubt, what I really don't have a clue about is how any of that relates to a "metal-capable GPU".

I apologize. I thought I was linking to an URL containing information such as referred to by Ron. Don't know where the "bare metal"
URL came from but certainly an error on my part. I had no intention of being snarky.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 05:21:46 pm »

No problem Dale, and thanks.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »

Sorry. Bit of an old thread. My iMac is from 2011 so missed by a year. Apples says it will provide security updates through the summer of 2020. Updated my MacBook Air and no issues with any software. Even FoCal and Microsoft Office 2008 work. FoCal did not work when it went to Sierra.   

Mojave apparently will be the last version that supports 32 bit. Going to have to find an alternative to Office one day. The only thing I came across is the laptop shut off unexpectedly. I reset the PRAM and it seems to have have done the trick.         

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »

Just discovered a small issue with Mojave and Preview, using the Find command doesn't work in some PDFs. If I do a 'Save As' and re-save over the original, Find now works. Seems this has been a bug in the past but never affected me until this last OS upgrade.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »

Hi all mine is a late 2014 iMac and the only quirk I see so far is that a program called qmaster will not work. To tell the truth I don't even remember using it al all.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up