Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS R Exposure Meter  (Read 3343 times)

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

Canon EOS R Exposure Meter
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:04:10 am »

I've never shot a Canon (boom!) before, so pardon me if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if the "spot" metering (or whatever Canon calls their version of that) system onn the new EOS R follows the focus point?  My a7R's spot metering is locked to the center of the sensor...

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)

Rado

Re: Canon EOS R Exposure Meter
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:16:17 pm »

If I had to guess I'd say the spot metering only works with the center AF point. Canon has been always stingy with this feature and only top (1D level) bodies have spot metering linked to active AF point. Maybe if there's a 1R in the future...

MatthewSaville

• Astro-Landscape Photographer
    • Astro-Landscapes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »

I've never shot a Canon (boom!) before, so pardon me if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if the "spot" metering (or whatever Canon calls their version of that) system onn the new EOS R follows the focus point?  My a7R's spot metering is locked to the center of the sensor...

Thanks,
Jerry
This is one of the things that Canon has always reserved for their true flagship cameras, the 1-series and maybe the 5-series as of the 5D3/4.

I'm almost positive that the EOS R did not receive this functionality. I absolutely LOVE it on Nikon, it's one of the things that keeps me shooting Nikon for portraiture and stuff, even if it's not that big of a deal for landscapes.
"My first thought is always of light" - Galen Rowell

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »

Further research reveals that you are both correct - this is not, sadly, a feature of the EOS R. I found this on Ken Rockwell's site:  Light Meter -384 segment (16 x 24) evaluative. 6.4% partial. 2.7% spot (oddly no AF-point linking). Meter range LV -3 to +20.
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)

Steve_777

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:25:37 pm »

"Further research reveals that you are both correct - this is not, sadly, a feature of the EOS R. I found this on Ken Rockwell's site:  Light Meter -384 segment (16 x 24) evaluative. 6.4% partial. 2.7% spot (oddly no AF-point linking). Meter range LV -3 to +20."

Canon spec sheet shows that Evaluative Metering is linked to AF points, but not Spot metering.

Spec Sheet can be found at:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r

Other info can also be found at:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/full-frame-mirrorless-system/resources?cm_sp=full-frame-mirrorless-_-specifications-footer-_-resources

Steve

LimbicSystemPhotoworks

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:19:44 am »

"Further research reveals that you are both correct - this is not, sadly, a feature of the EOS R. I found this on Ken Rockwell's site:  Light Meter -384 segment (16 x 24) evaluative. 6.4% partial. 2.7% spot (oddly no AF-point linking). Meter range LV -3 to +20."

Canon spec sheet shows that Evaluative Metering is linked to AF points, but not Spot metering.

Spec Sheet can be found at:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r

Other info can also be found at:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/full-frame-mirrorless-system/resources?cm_sp=full-frame-mirrorless-_-specifications-footer-_-resources

Is that something that could be added via a firmware update?

Steve
Jerry Cagle
(in torrid Tucson, AZ)

MatthewSaville

• Astro-Landscape Photographer
    • Astro-Landscapes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:04:05 am »

Is that something that could be added via a firmware update?

Probably, but I wouldn't count on it. Canon has bigger fish to fry at this point. Linking spot metering to AF points is probably one of their top choices for "things to reserve for the more expensive camera", if they are indeed "forced" to start delivering a ~$2K FF MILC with both IBIS and dual SD slots. Gotta differentiate the lines somehow!

Of course, I could be totally wrong, and I'd love to see Canon have a corporate change-of-heart and all of a sudden start going gangbusters with cramming features into more affordable cameras.

I will say this, though- with the EVF, you've got both WYSIWYG and live histograms, so when shooting in manual exposure, spot metering linked to an AF point isn't really a must-have feature. You just dial in your exposure and go. Or if you're shooting in Av or TV, and want to meter off a face, you can just use Evaluative, since it does follow the focus point and maybe also take faces into account, (a little bit of "secret recipe" is always in these types of metering modes, Nikon's "Matrix" is even more mysterious WRT faces) ...and then just set the "command ring" on the lens to dial in EV comp as needed...
"My first thought is always of light" - Galen Rowell
Pages: [1]   Go Up