Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma primes for Sony e-mount  (Read 684 times)

ski542002

Sigma primes for Sony e-mount
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:23 pm »

Hi there.  I’ve always subscribed to buying optics from the same manufacturer as the camera body.  Now I shoot Sony and am in need of starting to build on some fast primes.  There are obviously native Sony-branded lenses, but lately Sigma has been releasing a number of fast primes of various focal lengths.  Anyone have thoughts on Sigma quality (build & optical) as well as Sigma lens capabilities related to specific Sony-centric features, eye af., etc. 

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Sigma primes for Sony e-mount
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:01:19 am »

Pretty much all the Sigma fast primes are superb optically and well priced. The issue for me is the size and weight. I bought and returned, in three days, an otherwise lovely Sigma ART 50mm f/1.4 for my Sony A7RIII because it was just about as heavy (all of 3 oz less) as my 24-70 GM! 50mm=28oz, 24-70mm 31oz. The Sony 50mm f/1.4 is an ounce less than the Sigma and almost US$500 more. While I do "walk around" with my 24-70, it offers the flexibility of a zoom along with superb optical quality. To each his own but I'd recommend actually handling them in the flesh before purchasing. They might work extremely well for you, not for me. Best of luck in your quest.

Telecaster

Re: Sigma primes for Sony e-mount
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:50:48 pm »

I personally like the Zeiss Batis lineup for its combo of light weight and high performance. The Sigmas and fast Sonys are, for me, just too big & heavy. I have the 25/85/135mm set and will be adding the 40mm once it's available.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up