Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Capture One for Fujifilm cameras  (Read 8069 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Free Capture One for Fujifilm cameras
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 10:25:35 am »

I use Lightroom but was curious to see what C1's RAW converter was all about for Fuji files. When the free version came out I had no reason not to try it. I started reading the user manual and viewing the learning videos to get familiar with it. Unfortunately the learning material doesn't tell you that many of the features it describes are not available in the free Fuji version. If I knew that upfront I would not have wasted my time trying to figure out why it's not working for me. I think PhaseOne would be well served to update their materials with a notation "not available in free version" and prevent a lot of learning curve frustration for new users. For what it's worth that's my 2 cents!   ;)

Hi Howard,

These are Express specific..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9DNl59qkM&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_fxAPOZF43-HSUYIUkQCkU

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

howardgf

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 11:43:49 am »

Hi Howard,

These are Express specific..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9DNl59qkM&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_fxAPOZF43-HSUYIUkQCkU

David

Thanks David. 

I now know that the Tool Tabs in the Express version cannot be repositioned.  That doesn't present a big problem, but I found not being able to move the Navigator so it can be used with tool tabs other than Detail, to be very annoying.  Maybe that's something that can be remedied in a future update.

faberryman

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 02:06:58 pm »

I am a Fuji shooter and Lightroom processor. I downloaded the new Capture One Express for Fuji for evaluation. I cannot locate the equivalent of Lightoom's Transform series of adjustment in Capture One Express. Do they exist?

TommyWeir

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:54 am »

What does Transform in LR do?

Jeff

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 07:22:22 am »

What does Transform in LR do?

correction of vertical or horizontal perspective distortion.

In Capture One it is the Keystone tool but possibly only available in the Pro version, not the free Express version.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:25:25 am by Jeff »

TommyWeir

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 07:57:48 am »

So it appears, no Keystone in the Express edition.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Features/Feature-Comparison.aspx

faberryman

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

Thanks for the link to the comparison chart. Capture One Express for Sony and Fujifilm is significant hobbled. Little reason to move from LR.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:19 am »

Thanks for the link to the comparison chart. Capture One Express for Sony and Fujifilm is significant hobbled. Little reason to move from LR.

Hi,

There is another difference, Capture One Express comes free with the camera, LR is pay-ware/subscription-ware.
And another difference is in the quality of the Raw conversions ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

faberryman

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 11:47:26 am »

And another difference is in the quality of the Raw conversions...
I have not seen a comparison of C1 vs. LR Fuji RAW conversions, so I don't know if one is better than the other. If you have a link, that would be great.

TommyWeir

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 01:43:43 pm »

If you have a Fuji you will see significant improvement.   Generally Iridient Developer is deemed the best for X-Trans, quickly followed by Capture One.  Lightroom never meeting either of them, you have to work them more.   I came across a few Iridient to Lightroom workflows, I myself use Capture One for 95% of my photography and an Iridient Developer - Capture One workflow for the key 5% I'm printing big.

There's been a ton of comparative reviews over the years as I'm sure you'll find when you look...

You can download C1 of course and compare.  C1 is quite an investment in learning, but perhaps the Express version is quicker to pick up.

howardgf

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 09:47:41 pm »

Have another issue and would appreciate your thoughts.

According to the User Manual, in the Windows version you can enter Full Screen mode by pressing F11 on the keyboard. The Browser, Menu, Toolbar and tools are all hidden for an uncluttered look. When I press F11 nothing happens.

I'm also running C1 Express Fuji on a Macbook Pro and per the instructions when I press Ctrl+Cmd+F to access Full Screen mode it works.

Any thoughts on why it's not working in Windows?

TommyWeir

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 01:25:52 am »

Does the laptop have the equivalent of the 'fn' key on Mac laptops? One which you hold and tap the F11 button to activate?

• Capture One
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 09:28:00 am »

Thanks David. 

I now know that the Tool Tabs in the Express version cannot be repositioned.  That doesn't present a big problem, but I found not being able to move the Navigator so it can be used with tool tabs other than Detail, to be very annoying.  Maybe that's something that can be remedied in a future update.

If you have the Pan cursor tool selected (H - Keyboard shortcut), then CTRL-click on the image in the viewer and you get a mini pop up Navigator.

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 09:41:26 am »

Have another issue and would appreciate your thoughts.

According to the User Manual, in the Windows version you can enter Full Screen mode by pressing F11 on the keyboard. The Browser, Menu, Toolbar and tools are all hidden for an uncluttered look. When I press F11 nothing happens.

I'm also running C1 Express Fuji on a Macbook Pro and per the instructions when I press Ctrl+Cmd+F to access Full Screen mode it works.

Any thoughts on why it's not working in Windows?

Check in the View menu to see what the Keyboard shortcut is for full screen.  I am not in front of a PC right now so can't verify if it is indeed F11.

David Grover

howardgf

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 10:09:14 am »

Check in the View menu to see what the Keyboard shortcut is for full screen.  I am not in front of a PC right now so can't verify if it is indeed F11.

It is F11.

howardgf

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 10:14:54 am »

Does the laptop have the equivalent of the 'fn' key on Mac laptops? One which you hold and tap the F11 button to activate?

The F11 key on a Windows desktop keyboard is a dedicated key not requiring a "fn" key.

howardgf

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 02:48:49 pm »

If you have the Pan cursor tool selected (H - Keyboard shortcut), then CTRL-click on the image in the viewer and you get a mini pop up Navigator.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried doing that and no pop-up Navigator appears.  So neither that feature or pressing F11 for a full screen view work on my install of C1 Fuji Express for Windows.  Any further thoughts?

howardgf

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried doing that and no pop-up Navigator appears.  So neither that feature or pressing F11 for a full screen view work on my install of C1 Fuji Express for Windows.  Any further thoughts?

Just figured out how the Pan cursor tool works.  Once it's selected you need to CTRL-Double click on the image and that increases the image in the viewer window to 100% magnification.  No pop-up Navigator appears.

• Capture One
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:53 am »

Just figured out how the Pan cursor tool works.  Once it's selected you need to CTRL-Double click on the image and that increases the image in the viewer window to 100% magnification.  No pop-up Navigator appears.

You don't need to control double click to zoom in. Just double click with the pan cursor tool.

Once at 100% ctrl or right click and the navigator pops up.  Or simply click-drag to move around the image.

David Grover

howardgf

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:05 am »

You don't need to control double click to zoom in. Just double click with the pan cursor tool.

Once at 100% ctrl or right click and the navigator pops up.  Or simply click-drag to move around the image.

Thanks so much for the clarification.  Now I'm able to get the Navigator pop-up!

If we could only figure out how to get the Full Screen feature to work  ;) ;) ;)

I must say I'm enjoying working with C1.  I definitely see a major improvement over Lightroom in processing Fuji RAW files and find the slider controls much more precise, not to mention it seems much faster executing commands.

Thanks for hanging out here and providing this support.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up