Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch renaming of files  (Read 3263 times)

sharadn

Batch renaming of files
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:14:24 pm »

I recently purchased a Sony A7rii which I really like. Also upgraded my OS fro W7 to W10. I came from the Pentax world using a K3 with dual card slots. I usually batch rename my files as they come out of the camera using the convention of date plus image # for that date for example 2018-09-20 (1). This worked OK prior to using a single card in the Sony and W10 upgrade. I arrange the files by date and select all and proceed to rename. Previously when I had both jpg and raw files in the same folder it would rename the jpg and raw file with the same number and only the extension would be different. But now when I rename it will name all the jpgs but start a new sequence at the first raw file. So even though two files may be of the same image and taken at the same time the jpg may be named 2018-09-20 (56) but the corresponding raw file will be 2018-09-20 (1). I sometimes do in camera HDR which creates jps and sometimes setup the camera to write both jpg and raw so I get these two types of files interspersed throughout my folder. It took me awhile to see this happening so I have a few directories where my naming convention is quite a mess. Is it clear? Anyone else run into this and come up with a solution?

FabienP

Re: Batch renaming of files
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:54:45 pm »

Which tool are you using to rename the files?

Cheers,

Fabien

sharadn

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:57 pm »

File explorer in W10. It used to work differently in W7.

FabienP

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »

(...) Previously when I had both jpg and raw files in the same folder it would rename the jpg and raw file with the same number and only the extension would be different. But now when I rename it will name all the jpgs but start a new sequence at the first raw file. So even though two files may be of the same image and taken at the same time the jpg may be named 2018-09-20 (56) but the corresponding raw file will be 2018-09-20 (1). I sometimes do in camera HDR which creates jps and sometimes setup the camera to write both jpg and raw so I get these two types of files interspersed throughout my folder. It took me awhile to see this happening so I have a few directories where my naming convention is quite a mess. Is it clear? Anyone else run into this and come up with a solution?

I think I now understand your problem and would suggest a change in your workflow.

The numbering done in file explorer is only there to ensure the unicity of filenames after the bulk renaming operation. File explorer has no idea what are in the files and if files are somehow related. The programme was never designed to handle this and seems to have changed in a way that makes your current workflow impossible in Windows 10.

At this point, I would suggest two options, depending on how you wish to handle the data ingest steps from your camera:
  • If you only wish to rename your files (as before), I would suggest looking for an application for bulk renaming that can read EXIF data from the camera files. Doing so, it would be able to understand what files are related with each other and you could design a file naming scheme which does the naming completely automatically, i.e. you would no longer have to select files and type the date of the files since this information could be extracted from the EXIF data and assigned automatically. Doing a quick internet search (aka googling) for "bulk renaming applications for windows that can read exif data" gives some results which might be worth investigating. Some of these tools are free, if that matters to you.
  • An even better option would be to streamline your data ingest with a dedicated application made for this purpose, like Lightroom, Photo Mechanic or ShotPut Pro. With these tools, you could completely automate the file copy (from SD card to PC) and renaming steps with robust tools. They will ensure that no data is forgotten on the cards or overwritten because they have the same name on two different cards. Some tools can even validate the file copy to ensure that nothing was corrupted due to a bad card reader, for instance.

I realise that it is not always fun to have to change a workflow, especially under pressure, but this seems to be the right moment to harden your data ingest process and embrace DAM best practices.

Cheers,

Fabien

sharadn

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:06 pm »

Thanks for the input. I am kinda old school and used view cameras and did darkroom work for years and years but I am trying to catch up.

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 12:07:57 pm »

I used to use the free Bulk Rename Utility or BRU as it is extremely versatile. However LR now also performs the same configuration that I require.

JaapD

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:28:42 am »

If you’re working with two cameras and two SD cards does anyone know what tool to use (Win) in order to do a batch rename on the combined content of both cards based on the date- and timestamp?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jaap.

davidedric

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:36:56 am »

FastStone, depending on just what you want to do.

Dave

JaapD

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 01:07:03 am »

Thanks for your reply Dave, I'll look into it.

Regards,
Jaap.

Stan Prevost

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:35 am »

I used to use the free Bulk Rename Utility or BRU as it is extremely versatile. However LR now also performs the same configuration that I require.

+1 BRU

Stan

IanSeward

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:35:05 am »

I recently purchased a Sony A7rii which I really like. Also upgraded my OS fro W7 to W10. I came from the Pentax world using a K3 with dual card slots. I usually batch rename my files as they come out of the camera using the convention of date plus image # for that date for example 2018-09-20 (1). This worked OK prior to using a single card in the Sony and W10 upgrade. I arrange the files by date and select all and proceed to rename. Previously when I had both jpg and raw files in the same folder it would rename the jpg and raw file with the same number and only the extension would be different. But now when I rename it will name all the jpgs but start a new sequence at the first raw file. So even though two files may be of the same image and taken at the same time the jpg may be named 2018-09-20 (56) but the corresponding raw file will be 2018-09-20 (1). I sometimes do in camera HDR which creates jps and sometimes setup the camera to write both jpg and raw so I get these two types of files interspersed throughout my folder. It took me awhile to see this happening so I have a few directories where my naming convention is quite a mess. Is it clear? Anyone else run into this and come up with a solution?

There are plenty of free file renamers out there but Flash Renamer will do anything you want with absolute reliability:

https://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.php

Bought it years ago and for the small cost has been a worthwhile investment.

Ian

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 12:17:34 pm »

Might also be worth adding Adobe Bridge CC to the list of software that can rename files. Free too, can't see why anyone would not install it.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 12:25:43 pm »

Bridge, Lightroom, Capture One etc etc.

Too often people don't know the capabilities of the software they already use and like. Only this week I was with a client whose new assistant had been using Lightroom for a year without realising it could rename files. She'd been renaming them in Bridge and losing all her work.

christaelrod

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 02:15:44 am »

Might also be worth adding Adobe Bridge CC to the list of software that can rename files. Free too, can't see why anyone would not install it.

I too agree with the answer provided. Adobe Bridge provides you with a dedicated option for renaming files in one shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up