Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Sony Releases a 24mm 1.4 G-Master Lens  (Read 1348 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Just Published - Sony Releases a 24mm 1.4 G-Master Lens
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »

I just published a short article with a video that Michael Durr made on the new Sony 24mm 1.4 GM lens.  You can find the article and video HERE

This was Michael's first trip to a launch event by himself as I was undergoing Hip Replacement surgery.  Michael, dod a great job.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

adias

Re: Just Published - Sony Releases a 24mm 1.4 G-Master Lens
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:37:49 pm »

Kevin! Wishing you a full recovery!

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:02:01 pm »

Kevin I wish you also a speedy and full recovery!!!

http://dgpfotografia.com

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:03:00 pm »

Kevin's link  is not working.

getting a message.

Not found, error 404

One can get it though, from the Featured Article

Wonder if Sony will have anything else at Photokina next week ?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »

I’ll fix the link later.  Sorry.  Must be the drugs.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »

Wonder if Sony will have anything else at Photokina next week ?

I will not expect anything in Photokina... Sony does not usually does that... but maybe...

There is rumored another event for October, a month that Sony likes to make announcements (i.e. a6500 or A7r III).

Rumors for October are saying new APS-C body a6700 or a7000 (it would make sense to put there 4K 10bits 4:2:2 capabilities like some competitors: i.e. X-T3). Also there is the rumor is a 135mm GM.

There is also the rumor of A7s III but sonyalpharumors says maybe later in the year or Q1 2019.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 05:43:46 pm »

I just saw the video of the presentation of Michael... I like the video... very natural on camera.

If you want an opinion that you can ignore... I would like to hear more your opinion of the lens, even if it just focused on your video experience... I had the impression, maybe wrong one, that was a bit just reciting the features of the lens... even if it is just a first impression feeling, good or bad...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:51:09 pm »

As always it is hard to make final thoughts until you have a lens long enough to test and shoot with under the conditions that you normally encounter.  We will have more to say when get our own lens.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 01:48:02 am »

As always it is hard to make final thoughts until you have a lens long enough to test and shoot with under the conditions that you normally encounter.  We will have more to say when get our own lens.

Yes, I have never been in the situation so I don't know how difficult it is... it was just a bit of unsolicited advice :)... I'm quite sure that I will love your review (good or bad) when time comes...

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 02:15:27 am »

I will not expect anything in Photokina... Sony does not usually does that... but maybe...

It just appeared rather strange to hold a special event for just a single new lens so was thinking something got   " pulled
 "  at the last moment ?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:30:19 am »

It just appeared rather strange to hold a special event for just a single new lens so was thinking something got   " pulled
 "  at the last moment ?

Nowadays in Photokina, companies tend to avoid announcing something. Canon and Nikon also have special events, but I will be surprised if the announce something new with respect their August and September announcements. Companies try to space their announcements before or after Photokina, so their new product does not get diluted by a lot of other new products.

The only exception that I saw in the rumors is the hypothetical Panasonic FF mirrorless that I would love to see.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 09:16:35 am »

Good fortune and a swift recovery with your op! They are modern wonders and have helped so many people  :) sounds a fine lens but as an M43 user I might be passing ... exciting times in the industry though ...
Mark @ Flickr

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:55:36 am »

I know how tough rehab is, Kevin.  But you seem to be a guy with great tenacity and perseverance, who will push through it and keep moving forward!  We are you cheering squad.  The upside is that you may have more time in front of the computer to pump out some features!

All the best,

Ralph

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »

Sony may have great lenses but the bodies are another thing. I'd never buy a Sony except for TVs

adias

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:27 pm »

Sony may have great lenses but the bodies are another thing. I'd never buy a Sony except for TVs

Agreed! And I do own Sony mirrorless... And their native color is always on the cold side too.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 06:26:03 am »

I see attention on all photo sites for this lens.
Unprecedented.
Sony really pluggs it.
In Europe everybody took the trip to Siciliy... i see the same subjects everywhere...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:24:01 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:19 am »

Agreed! And I do own Sony mirrorless... And their native color is always on the cold side too.

I've been using a Sony a6300 with a Zeiss 16~70mm f/4 lens since it appeared on the market and I've been very pleased with it. There is nothing about the body that bothers me, and as I only shoot raw the rendition I get when I first open them in Lightroom is the Adobe profile's version of what the raw file looks like. Inevitably, for one reason or another every photo need adjustments so that the photograph renders what the mind's eye saw or wants to "create". This would be true for any camera's raw file, inherently. The resolution of this sensor-lens combination, and that of the other Sony lenses I'm using with it, is very good.

My only beef with Sony, and it remains a particularly annoying outstanding one, is their stubborn secrecy about cleaning the sensor. Why on earth they can't simply endorse a cleaning solution - or even market one -  and issue instructions for how to do it properly at our own risk is just beyond me. What are they hiding? Other than that this camera is a mainstay.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up