Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow-Z3200ps 44” incredible price + free shipping  (Read 4593 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Wow-Z3200ps 44” incredible price + free shipping
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »

Holy discounts Batman!

If you ever wanted to get a 44” Z3200ps at a bargain price, Adorama has an incredible offering right now.

ADORAMA discount price

$2,699.99 + free shipping.  This is the least expensive I’ve ever seen this printer for. 

So this just further confuses me about what HP is actually doing.  Are they doing a final inventory dump before unleashing the Z9 fully (meaning actually shipping the Z9) and if so, why would they be selling potential Z9 customers a Z3200 when the objective is to sell the Z9?

See, this is the problem.  HP has a locked down sales strategy policy - we never know what they are doing.  They don’t really market these printers, they run sales on them.

I would buy this in a heart beat if it weren’t for the fact that we’re already covered with 3 in the studio and a Z3100 in reserve.

And I will say this:  I won’t be buying a Z9+ anytime soon - not until accurate, confirmed longevity test data on the inks and delivery systems are forthcoming, and the printer has proven itself to be the heir apparent to the Z3200ps with Vivera inks. 

I mean, why would we buy an untested machine that runs faster, instead of just sticking with a proven printer with proven top scores in ink longevity?

Why would we buy an unknown, when in fact, the best known archival ink printer is available at this new price?  And I believe other sellers will follow in this massive sale (possible sell-off).

So go figure.  If you ever wanted one, it looks like now is the time.

(No affiliations with HP or Adorama).

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Re: Wow-Z3200ps 44” incredible price + free shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:09:32 pm »

Yes this is what I feel is typical supplier strategy.  Sell the existing product at bargain prices before the new one is released otherwise the price of the previous model will be reduced further.  I agree with you to wait until proper reviews of the Z9 are published and can be analyzed. 

BTW two things
One; It would be great if you were given the opportunity to be one f those early reviewers
Two, Thanks again for your help some time ago to repair my Z3200.  It is still chugging along.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »

Holy discounts Batman!

If you ever wanted to get a 44” Z3200ps at a bargain price, Adorama has an incredible offering right now.

ADORAMA discount price

$2,699.99 + free shipping.  This is the least expensive I’ve ever seen this printer for. 

Mark

This item can not be shipped outside the USA .....

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

jrp55262

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:15:28 pm »

Note that this price includes an "instant rebate", which suggests to me that the savings are coming from HP.

eternal camper

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:42:43 pm »

Does anyone know if HP is giving a similar deal to Canadians?

I live in Toronto and may be interested!

Steve

enduser

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »

There are businesses in the US that will order and take delivery on behalf of foreign buyers. They then on-ship to you.  With a printer you need access to US ink as well as the machine itself. (Some Canadians keep a USPS box at the nearest US town for delivery of small items.)

At an Australian price of $AU 12,000+ (about $US 9040) there's an obvious saving compared to about $US 2700.
Current trade war maneuvering  will probably improve this deal for some countries.
The downside is the lack of warranty, but given the savings, some will take a chance no doubt.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 05:18:53 am »

There are businesses in the US that will order and take delivery on behalf of foreign buyers. They then on-ship to you.  With a printer you need access to US ink as well as the machine itself. (Some Canadians keep a USPS box at the nearest US town for delivery of small items.)

At an Australian price of $AU 12,000+ (about $US 9040) there's an obvious saving compared to about $US 2700.
Current trade war maneuvering  will probably improve this deal for some countries.
The downside is the lack of warranty, but given the savings, some will take a chance no doubt.

Yes, I checked Shipito for that and my son has a US CC, seems complicated though for a big machine.  Then there is a tax in some states as I understand it, wonder how that can be avoided between the locations of Adorama and the shipper. Customs at the EU border will add an import tax. Transport from the US will be expensive. Do you think there is a difference in the EU cart chips that prevent them to be used on an US HP Z3200?  It was Epson that did that AFAIK.

I have seen some deals in Germany with cash back and the exchange of an older printer but it still is about 1.5-2.0X the Adorama deal and I get the impression they split the package so you have to pay for the ink carts normally added in the deal etc.

The prices asked for the Z3200PS 44" here (a and b version) are sometimes higher than the prices I see for the Z9 44"  (not the Z9+). Sold out, no longer available, old web site prices, etc, it is a confusing market here right now.

Whether the Z9 is equal or better in IQ is one thing and we do not know, but any switch to a new printer brings with it a change in print runs of archived images for customers. Not something I look forward to.

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:24 am »

Holy discounts Batman!

ADORAMA discount price

$2,699.99 + free shipping

That's the exact, unadvertised deal I found a couple weeks ago when looking for a replacement for the 7800......a no brainer for my low volume printing needs. That, coupled with all the insight and documentation (Mark and others), allowed me to step up with comfort  to a 44" and still afford the expensive warranty coverage.
Now, once I get this interface  nailed, I'll  be cruisin.
davidbogdan
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:02:30 am by urbanpicasso »

mearussi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:56 am »

My understanding was that HP no longer repairs the Z3200ps. If that's the case then anyone who buys one is taking quite a risk. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:12 am »

My understanding was that HP no longer repairs the Z3200ps. If that's the case then anyone who buys one is taking quite a risk.

Maintenance contracts for 3 years are still available on the version b model.

That said I have not needed a serviceman in 10 years. Not that I expect another 10 years of extended use on any Z3200, new or old. 3 years would be good, 5 years excellent at that price.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 10:03:13 pm »

HP services the Z3200ps.  When they sell a new one, they sell the option to buy a 5 year care pack.

There is no risk buying a Z3200ps new from a dealer.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 10:08:39 pm »

Yes, I checked Shipito for that and my son has a US CC, seems complicated though for a big machine.  Then there is a tax in some states as I understand it, wonder how that can be avoided between the locations of Adorama and the shipper. Customs at the EU border will add an import tax. Transport from the US will be expensive. Do you think there is a difference in the EU cart chips that prevent them to be used on an US HP Z3200?  It was Epson that did that AFAIK.

I have seen some deals in Germany with cash back and the exchange of an older printer but it still is about 1.5-2.0X the Adorama deal and I get the impression they split the package so you have to pay for the ink carts normally added in the deal etc.

The prices asked for the Z3200PS 44" here (a and b version) are sometimes higher than the prices I see for the Z9 44"  (not the Z9+). Sold out, no longer available, old web site prices, etc, it is a confusing market here right now.

Whether the Z9 is equal or better in IQ is one thing and we do not know, but any switch to a new printer brings with it a change in print runs of archived images for customers. Not something I look forward to.

Ernst, it might be worth a call to Adorama to find out if they can help you.  They’re excellent to deal with, and they may have a solution for you.  I expect they can at least answer your questions.

I hear what you are saying about the potential issues migrating your customer’s work to a different printer.  I feel the same about my own work, hence the 4 Z’s in my studio.

Can’t hurt to call Adorama and ask a few questions.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 10:15:28 pm »

Yes this is what I feel is typical supplier strategy.  Sell the existing product at bargain prices before the new one is released otherwise the price of the previous model will be reduced further.  I agree with you to wait until proper reviews of the Z9 are published and can be analyzed. 

BTW two things
One; It would be great if you were given the opportunity to be one f those early reviewers
Two, Thanks again for your help some time ago to repair my Z3200.  It is still chugging along.

Thanks Robert - good to hear your printer is still cranking (knock on wood).  I wouldn’t mind getting a new Z9+ to review, but I’d rather see it go to Mark McCormick Goodhart than me, since he’s the one person in the whole world who should be getting one and beginning tests on it.

Just saying, HP.... just saying.

Best,

Mark (L)

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

mearussi

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 10:20:21 am »

Thanks Robert - good to hear your printer is still cranking (knock on wood).  I wouldn’t mind getting a new Z9+ to review, but I’d rather see it go to Mark McCormick Goodhart than me, since he’s the one person in the whole world who should be getting one and beginning tests on it.

Just saying, HP.... just saying.

Best,

Mark (L)
Except that Mark might reveal things HP doesn't want found out.

I've been very puzzled by HP's marketing strategy (if they even have one). Why spend so much time and money completely revamping their pro printer and then not have any of the major testers review it? And the horrible test samples they sent out seems more of a hurried after thought (got a call from a survey service HP hired to ask my opinion of their samples and I gave them an ear full).  :)

Does HP's left hand not know what its right hand is doing?

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 02:34:44 pm »

Except that Mark might reveal things HP doesn't want found out.

I've been very puzzled by HP's marketing strategy (if they even have one). Why spend so much time and money completely revamping their pro printer and then not have any of the major testers review it? And the horrible test samples they sent out seems more of a hurried after thought (got a call from a survey service HP hired to ask my opinion of their samples and I gave them an ear full).  :)

Does HP's left hand not know what its right hand is doing?

Aardenburg could reveal things that none of us want to hear, but that we all need to know.  HP needs to know from an independent source with the highest integrity available.
At this point, there is just one source.  Period.  http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Sample images are so critical.  Sample images become the ambassador of the printer and the company as well.

I think we'll be seeing more information forthcoming soon, and hopefully we'll see what the Z6 / Z9+ printers and Vivid inks are made of.

I definitely don't count HP out by any means.  They pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Vivera, I'm hoping the same will be true with Vivid shot through the dual drop technology.

Time will tell.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »

My Z5200 was $3000 three years ago.  Still is as far as I know

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 07:25:59 pm »

I just taught a digital imaging workshop in my studio today for printmakers.

I showed them my Z3200 black and white TOTALLY perfect dimensional neutral prints on Platine made with extended profiling, that are indistinguishable from Fine silver bromide prints. And at the same time talked about the color precision software and the fact that these are by far the most permanent color photographic prints available of any process ever,  outside of color carbon transfer imaging ( that is not done by anyone I know of anymore, anywhere commercially ) while at the same time can internally calibrate and make a great icc profile for a hand made hemp paper from India that is hand coated with albumen that I’m doing editions on, that is like printing on bark. They couldn’t believe that not only was this technology so inexpensive, but that it was over 12 years old and they had never heard of it.

I can’t believe it myself even though I’ve been using it for 10 years. I just wish they had left it alone, with subtle tweaks like being faster and feeding small sheets a little easier ( though I’m even used to that too).

I just hope HP hasn’t totally screwed up everything. We’ll see. I think it will be a miracle if they didn’t ruin the monochrome capability which with enough patches in the target  is spectacular on all media by any standard ......and as far as “vivid” whatever....that worries me too because Vivera is world class. But even worse of a worry is the fact that they are not promoting the new ones  as an advancement over Z3200 for the high end art market. I don’t know what they are doing or why,  but it’s kind of scary to me.

My hp tech said they will be repairing the Z3200 for as long as parts and inks are available and parts and ink will be available as long as these extended warranties exist out there. I think they are still selling warranties. I hope so.

John

Aardenburg could reveal things that none of us want to hear, but that we all need to know.  HP needs to know from an independent source with the highest integrity available.
At this point, there is just one source.  Period.  http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Sample images are so critical.  Sample images become the ambassador of the printer and the company as well.

I think we'll be seeing more information forthcoming soon, and hopefully we'll see what the Z6 / Z9+ printers and Vivid inks are made of.

I definitely don't count HP out by any means.  They pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Vivera, I'm hoping the same will be true with Vivid shot through the dual drop technology.

Time will tell.

Mark

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 02:50:32 pm »

I just taught a digital imaging workshop in my studio today for printmakers.

I showed them my Z3200 black and white TOTALLY perfect dimensional neutral prints on Platine made with extended profiling, that are indistinguishable from Fine silver bromide prints. And at the same time talked about the color precision software and the fact that these are by far the most permanent color photographic prints available of any process ever,  outside of color carbon transfer imaging ( that is not done by anyone I know of anymore, anywhere commercially ) while at the same time can internally calibrate and make a great icc profile for a hand made hemp paper from India that is hand coated with albumen that I’m doing editions on, that is like printing on bark. They couldn’t believe that not only was this technology so inexpensive, but that it was over 12 years old and they had never heard of it.

I can’t believe it myself even though I’ve been using it for 10 years. I just wish they had left it alone, with subtle tweaks like being faster and feeding small sheets a little easier ( though I’m even used to that too).

I just hope HP hasn’t totally screwed up everything. We’ll see. I think it will be a miracle if they didn’t ruin the monochrome capability which with enough patches in the target  is spectacular on all media by any standard ......and as far as “vivid” whatever....that worries me too because Vivera is world class. But even worse of a worry is the fact that they are not promoting the new ones  as an advancement over Z3200 for the high end art market. I don’t know what they are doing or why,  but it’s kind of scary to me.

My hp tech said they will be repairing the Z3200 for as long as parts and inks are available and parts and ink will be available as long as these extended warranties exist out there. I think they are still selling warranties. I hope so.

John

With Hyper-profiles (my neologism),  these "Totally perfect dimensional neutral prints on Platine" (your test report results) catapult Vivera inks and the Z3200ps machines into another stratosphere heretofore unheard of for the independent studio photographer.  The Z3200ps is likely the best choice for photographers making their own prints wanting the best they can get.  Unquestionably, Canon and Epson make fine printers but they don't come with the standard equipment embedded spectrophotometer which, coupled with the Vivera inks and the hyper-profiles of the Z3200ps which sets the bar so high.

If the Canon and Epson fan boys haven't used the Z and the hyper-profiles, they have nothing to compare with.  Painfully, HP seems unaware of the monster they have made - literally a dragon-slayer of a printer.  They so far have not done an EOL, but I fear it's coming soon.  All good things come to an end.  And the Z9+?  Only time will tell.  I imagine there will be many of us that will continue using the Vivera Z3200's long into the future, as long as supplies last.  I know I will.

Best -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

felix5616

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 05:04:24 pm »

Adorama shipping is terrible, ordered my printer Sept 27, promised delivery Oct, 11 come to find out that not going to happen after taking an unpaid day off of work, costing me much more that a delivery charge. The printer is stuck in Boston and no arrangements have been made to get it to me, and no one looking into delivery. Now looking a 30 days to deliver a printer from New York. As far as i'm concerned the price is misleading now that i'm out a days pay with no firm commitment to an actual delivery date

deanwork

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:37 am »

In my opinion Adorama over promises and are super disorganized. I ordered a print viewing booth from them a couple of years ago because it was like ie $50.00 cheaper than other sources. It took something like a month and a half to receive, and the whole time they kept saying “we’re drop shipping from someone else and we have no idea how long it will take. “. I’ve totally written them off.

Adorama shipping is terrible, ordered my printer Sept 27, promised delivery Oct, 11 come to find out that not going to happen after taking an unpaid day off of work, costing me much more that a delivery charge. The printer is stuck in Boston and no arrangements have been made to get it to me, and no one looking into delivery. Now looking a 30 days to deliver a printer from New York. As far as i'm concerned the price is misleading now that i'm out a days pay with no firm commitment to an actual delivery date
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up