Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz A.I. Gigapixel 1.1.2 update just released  (Read 2327 times)

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Topaz A.I. Gigapixel 1.1.2 update just released
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:08 pm »

Topaz A.I. Gigapixel update v1.1.2 has the following changes:

3 Updated AI Models

New Features:
    - Check for updates now happens when the user opens the application
    - Updated models with more training for slightly better image quality

Bug Fixes:
    - Color space is now correctly preserved when an unsupported color profile is detected and Match Input is checked
    - output is now always sRGB for for RAW files

GUI Modifications:
    - Processing mode text and box no longer overflows if Save to Input File Location is not checked
    - Border of image option region stops disappearing occasionally when window is resized

There is an unadvertised 15% discount available, no need to pay full price for any Topaz product.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

plugsnpixels

Re: Topaz A.I. Gigapixel 1.1.2 update just released
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »

Here is the first practical application I tried with this new version. As part of my genealogical research, I often refer to old maps.

This copy of an 1849 map of the New York area (in this case, cropped to Jersey City) from THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY DIGITAL COLLECTIONS had names written on the map but were hard to read.

A 400% upsampling in Gigapixel helped solve that problem!

plugsnpixels

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:21:11 pm »

Photo of my schoolchild grandfather, with a 600% closeup.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:09:01 am »

Here is the first practical application I tried with this new version. As part of my genealogical research, I often refer to old maps.

This copy of an 1849 map of the New York area (in this case, cropped to Jersey City) from THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY DIGITAL COLLECTIONS had names written on the map but were hard to read.

A 400% upsampling in Gigapixel helped solve that problem!

Hi Mike,

Interesting, it looks like it that text and human faces are better handled than they were in previous versions. I'll have to do more tests to confirm that, but the first results look promising (and the folks at Topaz Labs keep training the underlying neural network models).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

kirkt

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:08:02 am »

Topaz A.I. Gigapixel update v1.1.2 has the following changes:

Bug Fixes:

This is a fix?  Hmm.

kirk

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:41:51 pm »

This is a fix?  Hmm.

kirk

Hi Kirk,

I wouldn't load Raws anyway, because then there is no way of e.g. correcting Chromatic Aberration (or to modify White Balance, Exposure, etc.). The rescaling will be based on a default type of Raw demosaicing.

Also, I use Capture One as my Raw converter, and it offers a Diffraction correction option (a Deconvolution Capture sharpening step to compensate for small aperture diffraction blur), which presents AIG with a sharper (halo free) image for rescaling.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

kirkt

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:50:03 pm »

Hi Kirk,

I wouldn't load Raws anyway, because then there is no way of e.g. correcting Chromatic Aberration (or to modify White Balance, Exposure, etc.). The rescaling will be based on a default type of Raw demosaicing.

Also, I use Capture One as my Raw converter, and it offers a Diffraction correction option (a Deconvolution Capture sharpening step to compensate for small aperture diffraction blur), which presents AIG with a sharper (halo free) image for rescaling.

Cheers,
Bart

I wouldn't either, but sRGB for a raw conversion is a curious choice.  I, too, use Capture One for my Fujifilm X-H1 conversions.

kirk

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:21:09 am »

I updated from v1.1.1 to v1.1.2 but Gigapixel refused to open thereafter. I had to uninstall it and reinstall again - a real pain due to the online installer, with the large download and a slow internet connection - after which it worked.

I was only able to compare one image previously enlarged in v1.1.1, but the updated processing was definitely less sharp in places. Whether it was any more or less accurate overall I was unable to determine on the basis of that single image.

Other people in the Topaz forum reported similar issues with the update process and also a much greater propensity to crash in the later version. It looks as if the 1.1.2 update has now been pulled, as the latest version shown on the download site has reverted to v1.1.1 again.

Malcolm

plugsnpixels

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 01:07:52 pm »

Just right now I got v. 1.1.2 at home (my previous tests were done in the office the other day). So I've got Gigapixel running on 2 Macs and a Hackintosh, no update problems on any of them then or now.

Update info is the same:

"3 Updated AI Models

Update V1.1.2 has the following changes:

New Features:
    - Check for updates now happens when the user opens the application
    - Updated models with more training for slightly better image quality

Bug Fixes:
    - Color space is now correctly preserved when an unsupported color profile is detected and Match Input is checked

GUI Modifications:
    - Processing mode text and box no longer overflows if Save to Input File Location is not checked
    - Border of image option region stops disappearing occasionally when window is resized"

vjbelle

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 04:32:08 pm »

When I initiated the update within A.I. everything went fine until I tried to open A.I. which failed.  So I uninstalled A.I. and downloaded the trial version and after that everything worked fine.  Love the program and there is always a glitch somewhere along the line.  This is only going to get better and better!!

Victor

WayneLarmon

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 04:40:42 pm »

I updated from v1.1.1 to v1.1.2 but Gigapixel refused to open thereafter. I had to uninstall it and reinstall again - a real pain due to the online installer, with the large download and a slow internet connection - after which it worked.

The same thing happened to me but I did the update immediately after I purchased my license and I didn't know if there was some interaction.  The updated version refused to open so I downloaded the installer again and installed it.  It then woke up working and apparently my license is working because it isn't giving me messages about "X days left on your trial."

I was only able to compare one image previously enlarged in v1.1.1, but the updated processing was definitely less sharp in places. Whether it was any more or less accurate overall I was unable to determine on the basis of that single image.

I only did a single conversion and I couldn't determine any difference between the v.1.1.1 and the v.1.1.2 conversions.  I was doing other things that day and didn't do any more testing.

Other people in the Topaz forum reported similar issues with the update process and also a much greater propensity to crash in the later version. It looks as if the 1.1.2 update has now been pulled, as the latest version shown on the download site has reverted to v1.1.1 again.

OK, time to wait until they've fixed whatever is wrong and try again then. 

Question: this is the first Topaz product I've used and I find their website difficult to navigate. (And is very slow.)   I don't know where they list information on updates.  Release notes?  The only way I know is checking this forum on LuLa and seeing when somebody announces an update here.  Presumably there is a more direct way?

I think A.G. Gigapixel is a great program and I'm not complaining about teething pains.   I'm also grateful for the insightful analysis I read about it on these forums.

plugsnpixels

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 05:12:14 pm »

Still no problem with 1.1.2 here (this time on a 2013 fusion iMac). Release notes appear when you are notified of the update within the app, and I copy/paste them here.

I just did another genealogical uprez test, this time with a simple 72ppi screenshot of the 1905 NJ census as it appeared on FamilySearch. Actual size, 400% and 600%, no post processing other than making results grayscale.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:30:08 pm by plugsnpixels »

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:08:49 am »

@plugsandpixels:

I'm using a PC (Windows 10), which could be the reason I (and others) have had problems updating from within Gigapixel while you have found no issues.

A fresh installation appears to fix it and, like Wayne, I'm not overly concerned about initial minor teething problems, but it's a real pain when every update or reinstallation takes the best part of an hour due to having to use their online installer each time rather than a local copy.

v1.1.2 is back up on Topaz' download page again this morning, so hopefully they've now fixed whatever problems there were.

Malcolm

plugsnpixels

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:36 am »

Thanks for the update Malcolm. Sometimes the Windows users get the problems, sometimes the Mac users. But certainly Topaz is very proactive either way and gets the glitches sorted ASAP.

I guess you're saying a small patch would be better than a full reinstall. I assume there's some technical reason for providing the full installer each time.

I know in the case of the macOS itself, power users prefer the Combo system updaters rather than the incremental patches (less problems in the long run).
Pages: [1]   Go Up