Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you photograph?  (Read 1517 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Why do you photograph?
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:25:28 am »

How has it changed you? How has it affected your life?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Why do you photograph?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:36:49 am »

Lovely idea Alan. Since it’s your thread why don’t you go first? Would like to hear your story.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »

Martin:  I didn't want to prejudice the flow so I kept quiet hoping some brave person would step up.  Oh well.

So here are my reasons:

There's always been something magical in taking a shot of something that happens once in eternity and capturing it forever.  A slice of time.  Then adding something of your own to make it your own.  That's one reason.

Another is the delight in watching things in the camera eye level viewfinder, screen or print.  Slide shows now on UHDTV are also delightful.

Capturing moments of you life and people you love for review.  My often comment of looking at a picture of someone you love and falling in love all over again.

Forcing me to get out to take in the environment and beauty of nature.

Ego trip when getting compliments.  Who doesn't like atta boys? 

Playing with tools is fun and a camera is a tool.  Processing, printing making electronic slide shows, etc fall into that category. 

That's enough from me.  I'd like to hear from others. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:49:04 pm »

“I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.” – Garry Winogrand

I agree with Garry.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:49:27 pm »

Started about 9 or 10 after my sister was in college taking a photo class and Ansel Adams guest lectured.

So, I gave it a try and it was a fit with me being different. It empowered me and lead to a lifetime of struggles and triumphs that my peers could never achieve.

Looking back a half-century, I'm glad I chose this path. I've met people and have experienced things that "regular" people could only dream. I've could have taken the path of least resistance: got a degree, got a job, got a career, got a family, now in retirement. Instead as my mentor would be around, I "retired" as a teen, finding the path I wish to pursue until I croak.

It's like Weston's path, a lifestyle. Not perfect, not leading to riches, but honorable, enjoyable, exciting at times and forever seeing; exploring with blessings beyond belief.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »

Thanks Russ and Larry.  Anyone else?

Ivophoto

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:28 pm »

Thanks Russ and Larry.  Anyone else?

I do photography because I can’t paint. If I would have the skill to do a real art, I wouldn’t touch my camera anymore.

Also, I like to be in the flow and feel like isolated from the world and yet looking at it.

O, and I need it to balance out with my daily pragmatic worries.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:41:34 pm »

This could incite a novel or a couple of sentences.

It's late - 23:11 - say the numbers on the top of the iPad, so I settle for brief: I fell into a state of fascination, after WW2, with the ads that appeared for Leica, Canon and Nikon in the American magazines that I discovered in India. Those things looked so beautiful, so desirable and so mysterious: how did they work, what did f in front of a number mean, and so forth. But above all, they just looked gorgeous.

Anyway, cameras made me aware, and then when we went back to the UK I started visiting art galleries again, which my mother had been taking me to during the war, and as she had some books on artists' lives, I obviously read them and really got into it. Sadly - perhaps - my new school in Scotland discouraged my taking art because they considered it lower than my potential... what they meant was that they preferred getting better figures in the local press for their academic prowess. So, obediently, I forgot the Van Gogh life (but not death!) and realised that career as artist was not gonna happen, quite apart from the fact that I really didn't figure I could be good enough to make a living off it. Photography became the obvious alternative, with the bonus that pretty women were going to be involved somewhere down the line.

Getting into the business was tough: nobody I knew had any idea if it could even be a business except for those guys on the High Street doing passports, weddings and babies. I wanted none of that, thanks.

So I can finish, do the few dishes and get to bed, duty done; yeah, like for Ivo, photography was originally, at least, a substitute for painting.

In retrospect, I'm glad it turned out as it did; loved the trips, the glamour that was sometimes there, and the fact of the commission, the greatest compliment anyone can pay you about your work. The absence of that in amateur life is a bummer; it gives massive urge and drive and purpose to the images.

I'd love to rock and roll again, but at least it was good whilst it lasted.

Rob

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 02:21:20 am »

Went from wanting to be an astronaut to a photographer seemingly overnight. I became obsessed writhing 24 hours. Very strange. At 14 I would ride around on my bicycle on the dirt roads and paths of the rural Zululand area in which we lived camera over my shoulder looking for subject matter.

Within a few months I found I could make money shooting school athletics and rugby matches. Grew up hard and poor so it provided me with clothes and pocket money.

After a sting as a light machine gunner in an infantry unit I transferred out of my conscription unit into the prmanent force of the South African Air Force to train as a photographer. They paid for everything and as I had no money it was a good solution. Worked in professional photo labs for years, in South Florida for a time as well.

Returned to South Africa at the end of apartheid which coincided with the end of the photo lab industry. Had to find a new career and commercial photographer seems an obvious opportunity.

Now I make my living purely as a commercial photographer. I shoot catalogues. It’s resistant economic vagaries in part and hardly any of the flood of new photographers make it into the field. Lighting and technical skills are a barrier to entry I think.

So,that’s the how I guess. The why. I enjoy it. I am one of very few long term commercial photographers that has managed to retain a love of the medium. I shoot for pleasure almost every week. In essence I still see myself as an amateur photographer, but I get to use my work tools for fun.  I always have several projects on the go.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 03:01:25 am »

It's for the same reason as when I was a painter and illustrator.

For money or not, I'm simply compelled to make images.

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 04:41:34 am »

Went from wanting to be an astronaut to a photographer seemingly overnight. I became obsessed writhing 24 hours. Very strange. At 14 I would ride around on my bicycle on the dirt roads and paths of the rural Zululand area in which we lived camera over my shoulder looking for subject matter.

Within a few months I found I could make money shooting school athletics and rugby matches. Grew up hard and poor so it provided me with clothes and pocket money.

After a sting as a light machine gunner in an infantry unit I transferred out of my conscription unit into the prmanent force of the South African Air Force to train as a photographer. They paid for everything and as I had no money it was a good solution. Worked in professional photo labs for years, in South Florida for a time as well.

Returned to South Africa at the end of apartheid which coincided with the end of the photo lab industry. Had to find a new career and commercial photographer seems an obvious opportunity.

Now I make my living purely as a commercial photographer. I shoot catalogues. It’s resistant economic vagaries in part and hardly any of the flood of new photographers make it into the field. Lighting and technical skills are a barrier to entry I think.

So,that’s the how I guess. The why. I enjoy it. I am one of very few long term commercial photographers that has managed to retain a love of the medium. I shoot for pleasure almost every week. In essence I still see myself as an amateur photographer, but I get to use my work tools for fun.  I always have several projects on the go.
Fantastic mini-biography - kudos to you!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 06:59:23 am »

It's my favourite pastime/hobby. I like to go out and combine photography with my love for nature, travel, and the outdoors.

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 07:23:20 pm »

I’ve been making photos since I was about 10 years old when my folks bought me an Ansco Readyflash camera for Christmas and knighted me, “The Family Photographer.”  LOL  Looking back, it amazes me how powerful are the visions passed from parents to children. 

In high school I took photo classes and learned to do basic darkroom work.  I was fascinated to see an image appear in the developing tray.

In the military, though trained in another field, I ended up being a reconnaissance photographer in Viet Nam.

When finished with my tour overseas, I taught photography and managed the darkroom for the “Post Craft Shop” at Ft. Lewis, Washington.  Fell in love with teaching and printmaking simultaneously.

All through my career years in the fire service I freelanced, and also did photo work for the fire departments I worked for.

After retiring from the fire service I started a consulting business unrelated to photography, specifically, but used my skills to include photos and graphics (Photoshop) in my work product.  I then became interested in making “fine prints” and found my way to LULA here.  In what I consider to be the “glory days” of LULA I soaked up everything Michael and Jeff Schewe presented in videos and in posts, learned from Andrew Rodney and Eric Chan in their postings... and so many others of you here who knew/know so much more than I did.  This place was an incredible blessing.  I owe a debt of gratitude to Michael, Jeff, Eric, Andrew... and more recently Mark Segal, than could ever be repaid.

Now I help others get “color managed” and I also make prints for other photographers.  I get almost as much pleasure out of helping someone optimize their files, and then leave my little shop with a print they LOVE, as I do in creating and printing my own work.

I think the whole world of image making is fascinating.  It is one of the things in my life that I know I can never really master... and that’s appealing.  It is always new, always challenging, and as diverse as my wandering interests make it.

As I get to be an older guy (actually quite into my geezerhood now), I think it helps to keep me young in spirit and mind to both do my own work, and help others realize their vision in print.

Rand
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:01:11 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 04:34:43 am »

Interesting ... I wonder a lot how and why it came to photography recently. There are a lot of different reasons I found and probably there are more that I didn't found, yet. Some of those reasons are: A feeling I can express something through photography (or pictures) better than with words. When I was (very) young I thought I rather be a writer, but there was always something left open. Hard to describe ;-) Also it was a matter of "feedback". I wasn't encouraged to do anything "artistic" in my childhood. Photography was - or cameras were - an exception because of their technical/scientific side. I got at least some appreciation for my photography, when I was in school, and in the familiy, I guess that somewhat pushed my this way, although it was another 15 years or so until it grew. There are many influences that make me photograph, still not 100% clear about how and why, but even thinking about that brings some progress, I guess. Nowadays it's just a central part of my life, actually it's just part of me. It seems there's no way back, now.

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »

I love to learn.

Many of my nature photos are "record shots", intended to get information about the featured organism, whether or not the light is nice and the background clean-ish. I use the photos to learn something about the organism - there are lots of region-specific field guide-like and ecology resources out there on the web. I hope to catch the organism in more flattering light eventually, but I am happy with a mix of "artistic" photos and documentary photos.

Photography is also an exercise in making choices by my priorities, not for utility or for other people's priorities. I am not big on photography contests. I quit one photo club because I couldn't bear having to sit through a contest a week. I am interested in stories that go with the photos, and interested in why the photographer made choices resulting in those photos.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 11:28:19 pm »

I was a watercolorist in college and would take landscape photos to paint from back in the studio. Eventually I phased out the painting, happy enough with the photos.
With painting or taking photos I felt compelled to show people what they may not see if they looked at the same scene. I want to illustrate what I appreciate about the world.
I'm also a software engineer and longtime tech enthusiast so when cameras went digital it brought together things I already liked individually.
-MattB

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 11:25:07 am »

My interest started in high school when I got involved with the yearbook team. They needed a candids photographer so I volunteered. This gave me leeway to wander the school and poke my camera in just about anywhere. I used a 4x5 speed graphic, the kind with the golf ball-sized flash bulbs. That was a lot of fun.

My interest was rekindled in grad school. I was the prototypical starving grad student and I realized that selling stock photos could bring in the extra $100-200 a month that would make a huge difference. I took a lot of cute baby/kitten/flower snaps in those days! When I moved on to my postdoc I, on a whim, applied for a scholarship at the Ansel Adams workshop - and I got it! That was a week to remember - one of the last workshops where The Master was actively involved in the teaching. Well do I remember visiting his home, having tea with him and Virginia, and touring the darkroom.

So now I was hooked!

As for why I photograph now, part of it is that I love the result of a good photo - the print. Perhaps more important is that I have a tendency to see the world in terms of compositions and colors, and even when I don't have my camera with me I am always "seeing" photos. It's a way of visually expressing my view of the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up