Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Ring Flash to Broncolor adapting  (Read 2053 times)

FL at CC

Profoto Ring Flash to Broncolor adapting
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:33:32 am »

Hey guys, just looking for advice on how to adapt my Profoto Pro-7 Ring for use with my Broncolor packs. There’s no one here in Australia that I know of that adapts heads/modifies flash equipment anymore. I’ve used Briese and Elinchrom heads adapted for Bron before, runs just fine. Any advice or leads will be great.

- Frank

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Profoto Ring Flash to Broncolor adapting
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:40:31 am »

Well if you have an Elinchrom to Bron adapter then there is a guy on ebay selling a Profoto to Elinchrom adapter. The only catch is that you probably need to buy the Profoto Ring flash he has with it.
I would be interested in how you convert Elinchrom to Bron and vice versa.
You could also talk to John Davis of Progear on 0419 974 670
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

PhotoKratky

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:09:45 am »

I asked a local company (http://www.bacht.net) which does conversion like that for the opposite adapting (Broncolor head on a Profoto pack). Their answer was that this wasn't possible because of different trigger voltages in both systems.

So I'd be surprised if running a Profoto head on Broncolor pack is possible at all but maybe they tell you differently. Shipping the head to Germany and back and paying for the adapting you'll probably be better off with a used Pro-B3 or Pro-7a pack...

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 05:59:31 pm »

I asked a local company (http://www.bacht.net) which does conversion like that for the opposite adapting (Broncolor head on a Profoto pack). Their answer was that this wasn't possible because of different trigger voltages in both systems.

Broncolor's trigger voltage is much higher than Profoto's so you can't make that conversion. Profoto 6 and 7 packs are cheap these days and compatible with your ProRing.

Bacht makes the Profoto StickLight, StillLight, Multispot and the Striplights. They also make the Broncolor LiteStick and amazing custom bank lights for large studios.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:30:26 pm »

Broncolor's trigger voltage is much higher than Profoto's so you can't make that conversion. Profoto 6 and 7 packs are cheap these days and compatible with your ProRing.

Bacht makes the Profoto StickLight, StillLight, Multispot and the Striplights. They also make the Broncolor LiteStick and amazing custom bank lights for large studios.

It actually is the other way around. Pro6 and Pro7 use 1000V whereas broncolor uses 700V maximum voltage. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Profoto Ring head but I suppose it has no fan and no modeling light so a conversion should be easy to do. Due to the lower voltage expect a lightly warmer color output. In general when using off brand heads with broncolor´s IGBT controlled output stages (GrafitA, Scoro, Move) be aware there are flash tubes that are not suitable and can damage the pack that result in enormous repair cost. For example never use a Briese "Downlight" tube with your modified Briese head. While any qualified repair tech should be able to do the task I´d second the advice to just get a used Profoto pack. Happy holidays! Ulf

Kirk_C

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:22:12 pm »

It actually is the other way around. Pro6 and Pro7 use 1000V whereas broncolor uses 700V maximum voltage.

Thank you for the correction. The Profoto Acutes must run at a lower voltage then because on my PF Sticklights there's a switch to change them for use with the Acute or Pro packs.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 05:06:22 am »

Thank you for the correction. The Profoto Acutes must run at a lower voltage then because on my PF Sticklights there's a switch to change them for use with the Acute or Pro packs.

Yes that is correct. Acute series have a lower voltage, I was referring to the "Pro"-Line starting with Pro6 later Pro7 and 8. Unfortunately broncolor also introduced some heads with lower voltage like the Litos that are no longer fully compatible with their entire system. You still could use the old teal metal heads with the latest packs, though. Guess that´s the downside of everybody wanting smaller, lighter and cheaper equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up