Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just published - MR with film & Rolleiflex  (Read 2310 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Just published - MR with film & Rolleiflex
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:32:54 pm »

One more video with Michael Reichmann from the depths of my hard drives. This time about his brief 2015 affair with film and a twin-lens Rolleiflex!

Mikenor2

Re: Just published - MR with film & Rolleiflex
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:43 pm »

What a great video - Michael at his best. Thanks for sharing Chris

Mike

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:55:08 pm »

Hi Chris, thanks for finding these and sharing them but it is so, so, bittersweet to see and hear Michael again.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 05:16:50 pm »

Had he been using a Paterson reel, none of this mess would have happened.

Never in my life did I use a spiral that loads that way. No wonder the poor man gave up on film! The vid was enough to discourage even an old hand like me.

I'm shocked!

Rob

TomFrerichs

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 05:24:34 pm »

Had he been using a Paterson reel, none of this mess would have happened.

Never in my life did I use a spiral that loads that way. No wonder the poor man gave up on film! The vid was enough to discourage even an old hand like me.

I'm shocked!

Rob

Reel men use stainless steel, not those silly plastic things. :D 

I'm a bit younger than you, Rob, but still old enough to have loaded way too many film reels for development. I do have to admit that I had more trouble with 120 or 220 film than with 135 stuff. The 35mm film, unlike 120, was just stiff enough to fit nicely into the grooves.

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »

Thanks for sharing this video. Reminds me of my years using a Mamiyaflex - an excellent TLR, and with intergeable lenses - used that until resources permitted to go to Hasselblad.

Now, for the stainless reels: all you needed to do is to fold over the tape to give an easier start.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:10:29 pm »

...No wonder the poor man gave up on film! The vid was enough to discourage even an old hand like me.

Well the reason Michael didn’t stay with film very long had more to do with his disappointment in the technical quality of film rather than any difficulty with loading reels. As it turned out, he had brought his spare reel in the hope of staging a showdown with Kevin who had boasted his speed in loading. Michael said that the spare had a ‘bent clip’  ::)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:59 am »

Well the reason Michael didn’t stay with film very long had more to do with his disappointment in the technical quality of film rather than any difficulty with loading reels. As it turned out, he had brought his spare reel in the hope of staging a showdown with Kevin who had boasted his speed in loading. Michael said that the spare had a ‘bent clip’  ::)

Michael was no fool!

That said, I have to admit to envy looking at the lovely Rollei; my own was a lowly T with 3.5/75mm Tessar, but even so, it was a wonderful lens for people shots because it had a certain, well, delicacy to its performance that the clinical 2.8/80 Planar on the later 'blad replacement did not.

If the Rolleis had a fault, it has to be the lack of interchangeable lenses, though they did address that with two further bodies: a wider and a longer lensed one. Before I could afford a long lens for the 'blad I was using a Mamiya TLR with a 180mm and though the lens worked very well, the parallax problems with it drove me nuts, and the moving red line in the finder that was meant to indicate the top of the frame was hell to work with with heads; the uncertaintly enveloping myself spread out to the sitter...

Yes, Michael had personality, bent clips or otherwise.

;-)

Rob

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:15:59 am »

One more video with Michael Reichmann from the depths of my hard drives. This time about his brief 2015 affair with film and a twin-lens Rolleiflex!

This is excellent stuff you are showing us here Chris, as it is just so heart warming to see and hear Michael arguing over photographic gear with Kevin again, so please keep digging and turning up these nuggets of entertainment for us all.

In fact why not just connect all of your hard disks directly to the Internet and let us all download every last byte of information stored on it..?

only joking..!

Dave

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:23:06 am »

Thanks for sharing this one! 

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:04:30 am »

Love it. This was worth my annual subscription and some  :)

Dave

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:34:46 pm »

Aw Michael, I miss you so much buddy.

I tried to load a Nikkor reel once, and it was very hard, but by that time, my brother had alread purchased a bunch of JOBO gear, and the plastic reels were a delight to load. You simply fed the top of the film and twist them back and forth loading the film automatically. I used them for around 25 years (1980 to 2006) if I remember correctly I developed my last roll of slides in 2006 or 2007, until I moved to Digital, and never looked back. But definitively I miss the tacktility of film, as Michael mentions.

Keep looking for those videos, Chris, please.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -
Pages: [1]   Go Up