Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - The Canon R Camera Hits and Misses  (Read 921 times)

FabienP

Re: Just Published - The Canon R Camera Hits and Misses
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »

I agree that the software side should get more attention. Today software is as vital as hardware. The image quality of the mobile phones is for a large part due to the quality of the software.
When i have a look at Nikon- the software and wireless connectivity is years behind.
Putting android in a camera might not be so easy to do. It is Googles software, not free and not open for drastic changes that are required to adapt it to camera's.

Several sources mentioned that Sony a7 cameras were in fact using Android as an OS, at least to run the applications that can be installed on MK I and II models (see here). Since these applications are no longer available on newer models, this might have changed lately.

Android has an open source implementation (AOSP) which would be suitable for such projects, though it lacks some closed source bits found on Google Play services typically found on phones.

Cheers,

Fabien

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 04:14:50 AM »

Several sources mentioned that Sony a7 cameras were in fact using Android as an OS, at least to run the applications that can be installed on MK I and II models (see here). Since these applications are no longer available on newer models, this might have changed lately.

Android has an open source implementation (AOSP) which would be suitable for such projects, though it lacks some closed source bits found on Google Play services typically found on phones.

Cheers,

Fabien

Yes, but notice what my point was regarding using Android.

m.heijkoop

• Philosopher
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 04:21:36 AM »

"So, letís not forget to put a lot of this technical stuff aside and go out and take some pictures.  Just about every camera out there is capable of making great images.  I have not had anyone but other photographers ask me what I shot an image with.  The camera is not going to make your photos better, only you can do that."

Wise words, we are not at war but technology has so much to offer that it is up to us to enjoy good photography!
BrightLight!

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »

Cheers,

Fabien

I suspect all system is still based on Android but I highly doubt Sony allows third party to program anything to it, specailly after closing the App Store in version III. Even if it is based on Open Source software, it does not mean it is open to other people to tinker with it.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

A perhaps irrelevant, even impertinent, question, but anyone else seeing ads on Kevin's video?

Kevin Raber

• Administrator
  • Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »

If you are seeing ads it is because we published this video on YouTube.  If you are a premium or other type of member on youtube you may not see ads.  We use Youtube for these kinds of videos to cut down the bandwidth on the site.  The next set of videos will all be published through Wistia on our site.
Kevin Raber
Publisher - luminous-landscape.com
[email protected]

Peter McLennan

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

Thanks, Kevin.  No worries.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up