Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom development  (Read 6499 times)

Frodo

Re: Lightroom development
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 03:18:55 pm »

How did you disable Windows Ink? Doesn't seem straightforward.
Thanks

FabienP

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 04:11:16 pm »

You can disable the generation of previews in parallel in the preferences

Thanks Frank, this should solve my import issue!

As for the Fast Raw Viewer comparison, library functions are likely to be different between applications (size of previews), but that doesn't explain why what used to be reasonably fast in LR is now much slower. Looking at what might have changed on the PC since LR 6.x, LR might be taxed more than other applications by Spectre and Meltdown mitigations since it constantly accesses storage. I fear that the rest is self-inflicted by Adobe.

Cheers,

Fabien

kirkt

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 12:47:47 pm »

This thread, and similar threads regarding performance and other Adobe product issues just takes me back to Schewe's thread started several years ago: "If Thomas designed a new Photoshop for photographers now..."

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=78240.0

There is a strong case to be made that Photoshop (and perhaps Lightroom) needs a fresh approach with a modern codebase in the age of faster computers and GPUs and larger and larger image files.  This, in contrast to Adobe's more recent emphasis on things like editing raw files on your iPad.

Not all companies have the knowledge, resources and industry influence to accomplish such a feat, but Adobe is one of the few companies that does have what it take to revolutionize the photographic and image processing workflow and toolset. 

One can wish.

kirk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:10:48 pm by kirkt »

Etrsi_645

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »

How did you disable Windows Ink? Doesn't seem straightforward.
Thanks
In the "orientation settings" of my Wacom pen tablet..

Also, if you don't have a Wacom tablet, you can Google "disable Windows ink" and find ways...
Pentax K-5 with lenses: DA* 16-50 f/2.8,

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »

My system is near new with an i7-8700 CPU; 16GB RAM; OS & programme files & catalog on a Samsung SSD (MVie?) drive and raw files on a reasonably fast 4TB HDD.  No GPU card and relying just on the Intel integrated graphics.  I'm running two screens, Samsung 1920x1080 for menus (sliders) or in grid mode, and a 24 inch 1920x1200 Eizo as the main screen.  Looking at the resource monitor, my CPU is running at close to 100% (4.2GHz) when processing, but RAM is rarely more than 12GB, only when doing large panorama merges.  I do notice that the RAM usage is about 30% when I first start LR and then gradually creeps up over 50%, at which point I restart LR.

I understand that LR does not benefit much from GPU acceleration.  The Intel graphics does not seem to get much over 10% according the resource monitor and I don't notice much difference if it is switched on or off.  Happy to be corrected and get a GPU.

Is LR Classic CC 7.1 that much faster? 

Thanks, Bob
There have been steady performance gains. I’m running LR 7.5 on a 2018 MacBook Pro, 2.9ghz i9 (6 core), 2TB SSD (Incredibly fast), 32 gigs of Ram, with a Radeon Pro 560x internal GPU, and when at home running a Radeon RX Vega 56 eGPU. Connect to 2 30” NEC displays running at 2560x1600. 

I see little issues moving from image to the next, zooming to 100% is often instant and rarely takes more than a couple of seconds. I see no lag in scrolling a window in grid mode, over 1000 images in the grid, and I can scroll as fast as I want with no blanks and no lag. My images are from an IQ180 and IQ3 100 back, so 80 and 100mp captures.

Unfortunately I can’t tell what parts of my system are contributing to having better success than you seem to be having.  I would suspect 16 gigs of ram is pretty sparse (despite what your system is reporting), I think LR uses the GPU a little more than some realize, and it can’t hurt that my SSD sustained reads are > 2500 MB/s. And I’m pretty sure version 7 is able to utilize multiple cores better than version 6.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:42 am »

There have been steady performance gains. I’m running LR 7.5 on a 2018 MacBook Pro, 2.9ghz i9 (6 core), 2TB SSD (Incredibly fast), 32 gigs of Ram, with a Radeon Pro 560x internal GPU, and when at home running a Radeon RX Vega 56 eGPU. Connect to 2 30” NEC displays running at 2560x1600. 

I see little issues moving from image to the next, zooming to 100% is often instant and rarely takes more than a couple of seconds. I see no lag in scrolling a window in grid mode, over 1000 images in the grid, and I can scroll as fast as I want with no blanks and no lag. My images are from an IQ180 and IQ3 100 back, so 80 and 100mp captures.

As far as I can tell, when you open a folder or collection, LR will read the preview files from disk and will freeze the application momentarily if waiting for the data. Once the previews are loaded, then it works well. In your case you likely have new NVMe disks, which are incredibly fast, so you would probably not experience these issues.

Having enough resources helps for sure. It is more an issue of comparing LR performance with competing apps doing similar tasks (like C1)

FabienP

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:20 pm »

This thread, and similar threads regarding performance and other Adobe product issues just takes me back to Schewe's thread started several years ago: "If Thomas designed a new Photoshop for photographers now..."

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=78240.0

There is a strong case to be made that Photoshop (and perhaps Lightroom) needs a fresh approach with a modern codebase in the age of faster computers and GPUs and larger and larger image files.  This, in contrast to Adobe's more recent emphasis on things like editing raw files on your iPad.

Not all companies have the knowledge, resources and industry influence to accomplish such a feat, but Adobe is one of the few companies that does have what it take to revolutionize the photographic and image processing workflow and toolset. 

One can wish.

kirk

I wonder if this new application is Lightroom CC (the newer edition, not the classic one). We might never know for sure, unless someone not under NDA can share this information.

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up