Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunflower Photo Farm  (Read 365 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Sunflower Photo Farm
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:28 pm »

After you'd done Antarctica and Galapagos, what else can you photograph?

This summer, an Ontario farmer let photographers to take pictures of his sunflowers, cleared a field to create a paid parking lot for 300 cars, and next weekend 7,000 cars arrived at his property and nearby road. You'd think that the golden flowers would be a goldmine, but now he doesn't want to see any more shooters at his property.

Tourists taking Instagram-ready selfies have clogged up Santorini, Greece, with its distinctive blue rooftops, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Great Wall of China.
Now, they’re taking over the family farm.
Their sunflower farm is closed to Facebookers, Instagrammers, Snapchatters (Snappers?) and all the other social-media looky-loos who tromped over their crops and plugged local roads for kilometres around over the weekend.
Closed not just for today, this week or this month. “We’re closed forever!”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-how-the-quest-for-the-perfect-selfie-forced-an-ontario-sunflower-farm/

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Sunflower Photo Farm
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:21:48 am »

Same thing happened in the Yolo County (near Sacramento, California) sunflower fields this year. Everyone going for selfies and nudies and trampling the crop. Another Zombie Apocalypse... It's been the same at many of the western National Parks and getting worse by the year. Everybody in Yosemite has a wanna-be Ansel Adams with a cell phone, always snapping the same photos from the same parking lots in the same crappy light from 9 to 5...

All the good places I went to photograph though the years aren't fun to go to anymore. Too many rules, regs, stupid people! Glad I've found other things and places to photograph that would scare the hell out of people if they joined me there, and they are all mine!  :-)

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

John R

Re: Sunflower Photo Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:56:10 pm »

I visited this place about one day before the farm closed itself to photographers and selfie people. Didn't get in and couldn't figure out why there were so many people visiting on weekday in the afternoon. Now I know why I didn't get in.

JR
Pages: [1]   Go Up