Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: De-Noise Software ?  (Read 3178 times)

RMW

De-Noise Software ?
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:08 am »

What is the best program for eliminating color noise ?
I've been using PS, have played with Topaz De-Noise, and I'm wondering what else I might try.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Richard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: De-Noise Software ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:46:42 am »

What is the best program for eliminating color noise ?
I've been using PS, have played with Topaz De-Noise, and I'm wondering what else I might try.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi Richard,

Topaz DeNoise is pretty good. Another product with a good reputation is NeatImage (https://ni.neatvideo.com/), but it's much more tweakable and thus has a steeper learning curve. One of the nice features is that you can make custom profiles for specific camera/ISO combinations and Batch processing is possible.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:48:21 am »

I've been using Noiseware, though rarely, because Lightroom can handle noise pretty well most of the time.

RMW

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »

Thank you Bart and Slododan.
Topaz De-Noise works OK for me, PS seems almost as good. Will look into NeatImage.
Richard

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:26 pm »

Kinda late here but I just joined. Topaz released AI Clear which is DXO Prime type NR. Supposed to not effect details.

RMW

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:56 pm »

Zen 8.
Thanks for suggesting AI Clear. My question is, do you have to buy the main Topaz program and then buy this AI Clear ?
Is this a case of "one for the price of two?"
Richard

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:11 pm »

No. Just install Topaz Studio which is free.   

govindvkumar

• Passionate Nature and Wildlife Photographer
    • Photography Axis
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:52:13 pm »

Hi Richard,

Topaz DeNoise is pretty good. Another product with a good reputation is NeatImage (https://ni.neatvideo.com/), but it's much more tweakable and thus has a steeper learning curve. One of the nice features is that you can make custom profiles for specific camera/ISO combinations and Batch processing is possible.

Cheers,
Bart

I have been using Topaz Denoise, Will give Neat Image a try. I have a feeling that Denoise makes the picture more while removing the noise.
Nature and Wildlife photographer.
Photography Tips and Tutorials @
https://www.photographyaxis.com

gchappel

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:54:26 am »

You stated you wanted to eliminate color noise.  Are you sure you are using the correct terminology?
Not trying to nit pick here- but there is a large difference between color noise reduction and lumiance noise reduction.
At least in my work I rarely rarely have to work to remove color noise.  The standard settings in lightroom/photoshop/whatever work really really well.   Lumiance noise is another issue.
So first, before trying a bunch of random plugins- which all work pretty darn well, I would recommend confirming the type of noise you are having issues with, and then learning the techniques needed to handle the different situations.
I am in no way connected with this- but I found Steve Perry's videos on noise reduction the best simple learning tool and explanation I have come across in a long time on noise reduction.   He sets a very nice groundwork to understand this important part of our post processing workflow.
Gary

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 08:26:29 pm »

I shoot nose-bleed iso weekly. For the most part, ACR does a very good job for my cameras and occasionally Nik Define. I did use Topaz De-noise, especially for the streaking noise reduction of my D700 at ISO 25,000 and it was just the tool for that camera, but I seldom use that camera and De-noise today.

Each has its benefits and gives me choices.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

RMW

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:14 am »

Thank you all very much for your help.
I finally purchased Topaz AI Clear and have found it to work pretty well. The only reservation I have with it is it tends to over sharpen the image when it removes the noise. (The noise I'm most concerned with is the purple blotching.) It is rather quite good at preserving detail.
Richard

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 03:44:45 pm »

Here's my approach to over-denoising. Dupe your layer, do the NR on it, then lower the opacity of that layer to blend with the noisy layer below.

When I use Nik's Define, it's always smooths the noise more than I like. I'm too lazy to tweak the settings so I take the filtered layer and reduce the opacity 15-25% and then it's about right for my work.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up