Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf  (Read 1049 times)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
Leaf
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:58:48 pm »

I was standing in the front yard waiting for a friend to pick me up to go to lunch, when I spied a desiccated hosta leaf on the front walk. It looked so interesting that I popped it up onto the front porch to save for later. I took a few pics this evening.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
Re: Leaf
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:42 am »

This is the reverse side of the leaf.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:23 am »

This is a fine set.
I prefer the front side images. The contrast between front and back (or inside and outside) is lovely.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:13 am »

Thanks, Eric. The leaf reminded me a bit of shell. I found both sides fascinating, but the structure was more apparent 'looking in'.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:59:36 am »

Interesting leaf indeed. How much more background is available? Might be good for a larger, "negative space" composition.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 04:23:06 pm »

Lovely leaf. I'd also try some more spacious exposures with it.

-Dave-

John R

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:57:03 pm »

Wonderful. A leaf that models.

JR

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:02 pm »

Interesting leaf indeed. How much more background is available? Might be good for a larger, "negative space" composition.

The background is a small, flat rock that I stole from the garden (hopefully small enough that my wife doesn't notice). The stem of the leaf is actually quite long and unattractive. But I get your point about a more spacious composition.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 08:31:57 am »

Very nice. I like the lighting on the second photo; the way the leaf's center glows is quite lovely.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:08:15 am »

Very nice, John. It proves once again that photographing is nothing; looking is everything.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:46:55 pm »

Are these focus stacks?

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 01:58:03 pm »

Are these focus stacks?

Yes, my first attempt, and it's something I need more practice with. F/8 (even in Micro 4/3) wouldn't cover the full depth of field, and I didn't want to use a smaller aperture than that. I launched LR multiple shots into layers in PS, then aligned, then merged (automatically). I haven't played with all the options, and I've read opinions that other software packages may do a better job. Always something new to learn!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 11:33:36 pm »

Yes, my first attempt, and it's something I need more practice with. F/8 (even in Micro 4/3) wouldn't cover the full depth of field, and I didn't want to use a smaller aperture than that. I launched LR multiple shots into layers in PS, then aligned, then merged (automatically). I haven't played with all the options, and I've read opinions that other software packages may do a better job. Always something new to learn!

I figured, there are some stitching errors around the leaf in few shots, something I'm familiar with as I get them often.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:27:36 am »

The first set is wonderful. I wish you hadn’t cropped the edge of the leaf.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 07:41:29 am »

I figured, there are some stitching errors around the leaf in few shots, something I'm familiar with as I get them often.

There must be a way to avoid this either with 'options' that I didn't try, or perhaps different software. Otherwise, all I can think of would be tedious fiddling with the automatically created masks in the stack. I just haven't found the time to research it and test.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 02:30:32 pm »

There must be a way to avoid this either with 'options' that I didn't try, or perhaps different software. Otherwise, all I can think of would be tedious fiddling with the automatically created masks in the stack. I just haven't found the time to research it and test.

With a simple subject with clear lines like these you can play with the masks and shouldn't be that difficult should you desire to fix it. With more complex subjects it's a huge headache, I'm still not sure how the others find the time or the patience to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up