Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T3 - someone at Fuji must actually be a photographer!  (Read 5151 times)

shadowblade

Re: Fuji X-T3 - someone at Fuji must actually be a photographer!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42:04 am »

Well with my plate attached to the camera it is very easy to tip the camera forward. Also I always use an L-plate...how would this work?

Mine sits flat as a brick with the L-plate on.

To make it an L-plate, just continue the dovetail around the side of the camera. Same as with a regular L-plate.

chez

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

Mine sits flat as a brick with the L-plate on.

To make it an L-plate, just continue the dovetail around the side of the camera. Same as with a regular L-plate.

So the side of the L-plate needs to extend out so one has access to the ports. This would become a major pain when not in use. Much rather have the option of just putting an L-plate on when needed like today than always suffering with the extra weight and bulk when not in use.

Rado

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:57 am »

Well with my plate attached to the camera it is very easy to tip the camera forward. Also I always use an L-plate...how would this work?
The L-plate would be built-in so to speak. Imagine if the L-plate melted into the body and all that's visible from the outside are the little rails (at the bottom and on the sides) that lock into the tripod head. I'd welcome it too.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:03 am »

Built in L plate. Now that’s a clever idea.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

chez

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 11:22:34 am »

The L-plate would be built-in so to speak. Imagine if the L-plate melted into the body and all that's visible from the outside are the little rails (at the bottom and on the sides) that lock into the tripod head. I'd welcome it too.

But everyone of my cameras have ports or other features that I need access to...so how would I access them if the camera is tight to the tripod when in portrait orientation. My current L-plate allows me to access these ports by having a gap between the body and the plate. Do you propose having the built in plate with a gap so I still have this access?

Again...what is wrong with the current approach of just attaching an L-plate whenever one needs it...and just as importantly, taking it off and saving weight and bulk when not in use.

shadowblade

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:13 am »

So the side of the L-plate needs to extend out so one has access to the ports. This would become a major pain when not in use. Much rather have the option of just putting an L-plate on when needed like today than always suffering with the extra weight and bulk when not in use.

Just move the ports, or have duplicates.

shadowblade

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:50 am »

But everyone of my cameras have ports or other features that I need access to...so how would I access them if the camera is tight to the tripod when in portrait orientation. My current L-plate allows me to access these ports by having a gap between the body and the plate. Do you propose having the built in plate with a gap so I still have this access?

Again...what is wrong with the current approach of just attaching an L-plate whenever one needs it...and just as importantly, taking it off and saving weight and bulk when not in use.

If it were inbuilt, you'd be saving very little, if any, weight and bulk.

An inbuilt L-plate wouldn't be a big, solid chunk of metal like the screw-on ones. It would be just like the base camera, except with slightly different shaped sides. And it would weigh a lot less than the base camera plus an external L plate.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:47 am »

And you would never forget it at home. Unless you forgot the entire camera and then you wouldn’t need it anyway.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

chez

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:05 am »

If it were inbuilt, you'd be saving very little, if any, weight and bulk.

An inbuilt L-plate wouldn't be a big, solid chunk of metal like the screw-on ones. It would be just like the base camera, except with slightly different shaped sides. And it would weigh a lot less than the base camera plus an external L plate.

But it would still weigh more than when I remove my plate altogether. And how would it feel holding the camera with protruding rails on two sides of the body? Right now looking at my cameras, they have nicely formed grips on the sides that are comfortable to hand hold...how would this built in L-plate affect this nicely formed grip with its protruding rails?

Bad idea over from a weight, bulk and comfort viewpoint.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

If it was truly designed by a photographer, it would have IBIS which is probably the most valuable feature for street photography where Fuji's are used quite often. Don't know what Fuji is thinking here...but I personally will not touch another camera without ibis.

Wait, what? Street photography and IBIS? Unless you want a blurry thing what shutter speed would you use when photographing people and how would IBIS help?

On a side note it seems commonly accepted that in the telephoto range OIS is a touch better than IBIS. In my experience with E-M5ii and various Fuji the IBIS doesn't give me much extra compared to the OIS in the lenses. The main advantage would be for primes, but not for moving things.

chez

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 01:55:46 pm »

Wait, what? Street photography and IBIS? Unless you want a blurry thing what shutter speed would you use when photographing people and how would IBIS help?

On a side note it seems commonly accepted that in the telephoto range OIS is a touch better than IBIS. In my experience with E-M5ii and various Fuji the IBIS doesn't give me much extra compared to the OIS in the lenses. The main advantage would be for primes, but not for moving things.

I photograph many times in dim markets where the people selling things aren't moving very fast and you can time your shots when they are stationary. Even then if a hand shows motion I feel the image is a success quite often to illustrate the dim conditions being shot. What never is a success is the non sharp ( blury ) image due to camera movement.

I believe most ibis systems work in coordination with the lens based IS systems providing even more stabalization than was possible with just the lens based IS.

Like I said for my travel photography I'll never use a camera without ibis...it's just too valuable of a feature for me and does allow me to get images I could not without it.

People who shoot in good light...might not find any benefits...but when it gets dim and you need apertures to get the required DOF, ibis allows this with any lens.

faberryman

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »

I don't find the OIS in Fuji lenses much help. Perhaps it is better than nothing, but I don't rely on it. I would rather bump up the ISO to gain additional shutter speed.

chez

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:37 pm »

I don't find the OIS in Fuji lenses much help. Perhaps it is better than nothing, but I don't rely on it. I would rather bump up the ISO to gain additional shutter speed.

Quite often I'm already shooting at high ISO and bumping it up more will degrade the image too much. The only time I turn IBIS off is shooting landscapes off a tripod.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 03:36:14 pm »

In combination with OIS the IBIS will lead to more keepers but it is not a certain deal, it will just make it more frequent. Many times you can get similar results if you take few more shots in rapid succession. Yes, you will have to sort through more shots later but you will have it there, the sharp one. This is valid for somewhere in the 1/5-1/30 range, slower than 1/5 the IBIS will have the upper hand as in you will get some shots sharp. I kept hearing about multi seconds sharp shots but I rarely can make that happen.

Which lenses do you use that you feel the OIS is not helpful? Keep in mind that with the X-T2 I need a faster time than with the X-T1. Overall I feel they add 2-3 stops to what you would get without. I have the 10-24 (most effective, can get even 4 stops occasionally), 18-55 and 55-200.

faberryman

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 03:41:45 pm »

The 10-24 and 18-55. I haven't found OIS consistently helpful.

Telecaster

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 03:53:18 pm »

I love the Dual IS on my Panasonic GX8. With the 100–400mm lens at the long end (800mm "equiv.") I can snap at 1/100th sec and get consistently crisp results. At 1/50th sec a series of five or six exposures typically results in at least one keeper. Comes in handy in the evening and at night.

-Dave-

shadowblade

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 04:43:42 pm »

But it would still weigh more than when I remove my plate altogether. And how would it feel holding the camera with protruding rails on two sides of the body? Right now looking at my cameras, they have nicely formed grips on the sides that are comfortable to hand hold...how would this built in L-plate affect this nicely formed grip with its protruding rails?

Bad idea over from a weight, bulk and comfort viewpoint.

Maybe 5g or 10g more at most. The structural materials are there in the camera already anyway. They just need to ne shaped differently.

And probably 150g lighter than the camera with external L-bracket. Most of the time, the L bracket will be in your bag anyway, so it's not like you're saving any overall weight.

It wouldn't feel any different from the way the camera currently feels, unless you're in the habit of holding your camera by the base instead of the more usual grip and lens position. How often do you hold the camera by the L-bracket anyway?

chez

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »

Maybe 5g or 10g more at most. The structural materials are there in the camera already anyway. They just need to ne shaped differently.

And probably 150g lighter than the camera with external L-bracket. Most of the time, the L bracket will be in your bag anyway, so it's not like you're saving any overall weight.

It wouldn't feel any different from the way the camera currently feels, unless you're in the habit of holding your camera by the base instead of the more usual grip and lens position. How often do you hold the camera by the L-bracket anyway?

Never carry my camera with the L-bracket on it...it's on the tripod or the L-bracket is off of it.

Actually my left hand cradles the bottom and side of the camera as well as the lens as many of my lenses are tiny and it's more comfortable to cradle both the lens and body at the same time. This would be awkward with the dove tails sticking out.

And guaranteed adding the dove "machined precision" dove tails to the bottom and side of the camera will add more than 10gm...I'd say at least 50gm, maybe more. A simple dovetail plate from RRS which is basically what would need to be added to the camera body weighs 40gm. Take away the screw and a bit of metal and you are at 25gm...so I'd say 50gm for the two plates is about right.

Personally it feels like a solution looking for a problem.

faberryman

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »

We all have different needs and desires; however, I think that the number of people than don't use L-brackets vastly outnumbers those than do, so I would not expect to see this idea incorporated.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »

I'm not too worried about OIS at short focal lengths, my hand is still reasonably steady. But being able to get sharp images at 400mm at 1/20 sec on the 100-400 is surprising every time I look at the files.
David
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up