Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T3 - someone at Fuji must actually be a photographer!  (Read 5154 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji X-T3 - someone at Fuji must actually be a photographer!
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 11:15:32 pm »

The 10-24 and 18-55. I haven't found OIS consistently helpful.

That's unusual, these should give 2-3 stops for most people. What stabilization mode are you using? All firmware uptodate?

DP

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:16 pm »

Wait, what? Street photography and IBIS?

1) since when street photography is only about taking pictures of moving subjects and nothing else ?

2) and then not always peope use wide(r) lenses hence @ tele IBIS/OIS/combo might help with 1 /( focal * multiplier of your choice) rule when that ratio becomes comparable with the exposure time short enough to freeze some motion

DP

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »

That's unusual, these should give 2-3 stops for most people. What stabilization mode are you using? All firmware uptodate?

Fuji 18-55/2.8-4 is not an example of great OIS

armand

• Photos
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 11:30:03 pm »

Fuji 18-55/2.8-4 is not an example of great OIS

It's below average but should still give 2-3 stops. As far as I recall, in my hands, is at lest as effective as the Nikon 24-120 F4 on a D750.

1) since when street photography is only about taking pictures of moving subjects and nothing else ?

2) and then not always peope use wide(r) lenses hence @ tele IBIS/OIS/combo might help with 1 /( focal * multiplier of your choice) rule when that ratio becomes comparable with the exposure time short enough to freeze some motion

My understanding is that street will have people much more often than not. For those cases there is a limit of how much you can slow down your shutter speed and I think OIS can do that. Is IBIS better, particularly when combined with OIS? Yes, but from what I've tried the difference is exaggerated by many.

Rand47

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »

I don't find the OIS in Fuji lenses much help. Perhaps it is better than nothing, but I don't rely on it. I would rather bump up the ISO to gain additional shutter speed.

I don’t know which Fuji lenses you have, but I find just the opposite.  I can hand hold the 50-140 down to 1/15th second no problem.  Same with the 100-400 at 1/30th and above in a lot of situations.  The 10-24 is also very good.  The 18-55 is “OK”... but no great shakes (great pun, though ‘eh?). 

Also, since the IBIS and the OIS work in concert with each other on the H-1, I’ve seen noticeable gains in the overall stabilization.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Dan Wells

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:35 am »

I agree with Rand - the X-H1 adds noticeable stability to already stabilized lenses. The 50-140 is a marvel, and the 100-400 is very good (but remember just how long it is - you still need quick shutter speeds because it's got a huge amount of magnification). The 10-24 is well stabilized for a very wide lens. While the 18-55 has merely OK stabilization, I can still shoot it down to 1/20 or so, even at 55mm, on an X-T2. I actually haven't tried the 18-55/X-H1 combination (I have both, but tend to use the unstabilized 16-55 as a standard zoom on the X-H1 - which is more stable than the 18-55 on an unstabilized body).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up