Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XT-3  (Read 3605 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Fuji XT-3
« on: September 06, 2018, 02:22:56 am »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fuji XT-3
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:35:22 am »

Seems very nice!

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:41:21 am »

Good stuff, nothing exceptional on paper though.
Seems a lot of focus has been on video, and they did the same thing on X-T2 (vs X-T1). Now we have to see how much better the focus is, the sensor hopefully it's not worse on DR.

I would say I'd wait until it's offered as a kit with the new 16-80 F4 WR but that's due sometime in 2019, might have a new X-H by then.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 08:21:45 am »

Good stuff, nothing exceptional on paper though.
Seems a lot of focus has been on video, and they did the same thing on X-T2 (vs X-T1). Now we have to see how much better the focus is, the sensor hopefully it's not worse on DR.

I would say I'd wait until it's offered as a kit with the new 16-80 F4 WR but that's due sometime in 2019, might have a new X-H by then.

I think for the photo side there are also interesting improvements, image resource has a nice piece about them https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t3/fuji-x-t3A.HTM

http://dgpfotografia.com

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:38:49 am »

I believe this may turn out to be the most interesting release from all of the recent announcements. Fuji really shows they understand the mirrorless demands under actual operating conditions with a boost mode etc... Together with the lenses they already offer and intend to offer, they are advancing APS-C to a new level, something that neither the Z nor the R system manages to do for FF.

I'm not really sure whether the resolution increase was necessary unless it somehow improves video processing internally. I would have preferred to see IBIS as a new feature.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 08:39:53 am »

I see no reason to upgrade from my XT2.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 08:58:57 am »

Looks like the sensor is new for 2 main reasons: faster readout and more focus pixels. It's also BSI. I hope that contrary to what happened to Sony when they went BSI the DR is not affected.

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 09:35:29 am »

I like the lockable diopter.

On my X-T1, I kept inadvertently turning it.  At least it has one though - wish my X-Pro1 had a diopter adjustment feature (lockable or not).

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:16:35 am »

I own the X-T1 and X-T2 and I see a LOT of refinements and new features in the X-T3.  I definitely see improvements that will benefit my sports shooting and video capture (although I don't do a lot of video work..... yet?)

Watch the DPReview video for some interesting pre-production X-T3 first impressions.
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4827370180/dpreview-tv-fujifilm-x-t3-hands-on-first-impressions

Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 12:34:22 pm »

Ho, ho. Just like the old saying about London buses, that they always come in herds, and the same seems to apply to mirrorless cameras.  The much leaked X-T3 has arrived to add to the bunch of launches.  What to make of them all?  As has been stated before, many will have already jumped from DLSRs to mirrorless, so we will have to wait to see how the new Canon and Nikon fare.  Am I typical?  I spent the day before yesterday sitting in a pop-up hide by a lake waiting for kingfishers, and it was certainly worth it.  I had my Canon 5D3 with my 100-400 Mk2 lens and 1.4 extender on a tripod.  For me, the camera gives great results, but having both an X-T1 and X-T2, the 5D3 is big and heavy.  It does not have a silent shutter, the burst rate is much slower, it does not have auto switching from eye view to live view, does not have face and eye detection and does not have the info on the screen that my mirrorless do. In addition the Fuji glass is lighter and I do all my portraits with the X-T2 and the 56mm prime and I use a Fuji for all my travel images.  In addition I use the 5D3 hardly at all for macro as I like the focus stacking on the Fuji.  Will I go to Canon mirrorless - doubtful as I would lose too much money. Will I upgrade my X-T1 to the X-T3? I am tempted, particularly with the £200 trade in bonus. Why?  from 16 to 26MP, faster focussing, better face and eye detection, faster burst rate etc.  No IBIS does not worry me.  I do not use video much, but may now be tempted to have a go if I upgrade.

I guess that those who have already gone to m4/3 and Sony could use the same arguments for staying with their mirrorless.  They must have changed already for a reason and most will be happy. I am going to stay with Fuji because I have invested in it and like using it.  There will have to be a compelling reason to go back to Canon or go to Nikon mirrorless but I do not know of one.  I will pop into my dealer for a look at the X-T3 before the end of the month.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 12:50:35 pm »

I guess that those who have already gone to m4/3 and Sony could use the same arguments for staying with their mirrorless.  They must have changed already for a reason and most will be happy. I am going to stay with Fuji because I have invested in it and like using it.  There will have to be a compelling reason to go back to Canon or go to Nikon mirrorless but I do not know of one.  I will pop into my dealer for a look at the X-T3 before the end of the month.

I completely agree... now that I switched... made a big investment... I will stick for some years before thinking on switching

http://dgpfotografia.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 01:53:11 pm »

Watch the DPReview video for some interesting pre-production X-T3 first impressions.
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4827370180/dpreview-tv-fujifilm-x-t3-hands-on-first-impressions

I was impressed by Chris Niccolls' comments in the video about the improved autofocus.  He has always struck me as a fairly astute reviewer.  My wife and I just returned from a short visit to Vancouver, B.C., and while we were walking around the city I did a fair amount of shooting on the street with my X-T2.  Its autofocus performance certainly isn't bad, but the hit rate when composing quickly definitely isn't up to the level of my Nikon D800E (which I no longer carry when traveling because of its weight and bulk).  If the X-T3 really is a significant step forward, I'd be inclined to pop for one.

From what I've seen so far, that's the main selling point from my perspective.  I don't shoot video and while I like some of the ergonomic changes, I don't think they are substantial enough for the way I use a camera to justify a new body.

Kirk_C

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:37 pm »

Two23

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »

There will have to be a compelling reason to go back to Canon or go to Nikon mirrorless but I do not know of one.  I will pop into my dealer for a look at the X-T3 before the end of the month.

I don't think the reason will be a camera--a camera is a camera.  However, that new Nikon lens mount will open things up for new designs and approaches in the past.  When Nikon went from the S-mount lenses for their 1950s rangefinders to the F-mount in 1959, new lenses started coming immediately that were previously not possible.  So, I think a whole new genre of lenses from Nikon could well be THE compelling reason to buy into the system.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 11:37:51 pm »

I am super excited about the XT-3 and have ordered one.  I'll get into testing as soon as it arrives.  I have a ton of Fuji glass and really like the Fuji system as a whole. 

I'm telling you there has never been a time like this before.  So many cameras coming our way.

Wonder what Sony has up its sleeve.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Dan Wells

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 01:02:22 am »

Yes, so many new mirrorless cameras! Nikon, then Canon, now Fuji, soon Panasonic. What's Sony up to next? The XT-3 is essentially an APS-C GH5 (with a great range of glass) in many ways... 4K 60P! And still a Fuji from a handling perspective! I can see why Panasonic is running toward full frame, when something with a much better sensor than anything Micro 4/3 can offer can match their video prowess

I don't see any real advantage over the X-T2 and X-H1 for stills (certainly a huge advantage over older Fujis prior to the X-Pro 2)...

Kirk_C

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 01:48:58 am »

I don't see any real advantage over the X-T2 and X-H1 for stills

Even with the significant improvement in focusing ?

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 02:06:59 am »

Wonder what Sony has up its sleeve.

I’m sure you’ll let us know.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 04:47:22 am »

This is for Kevin and anyone else who gets their hands on an X-T3.

I have not had a camera body with a touchscreen. If one's nose touches the screen while shooting, does this have unintended consequences that affect the shots?  If so, can one turn off the touchscreen?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 08:13:34 am »

can one turn off the touchscreen?

Undoubtedly you can.  The X-H1 has a setting to disable the touchscreen entirely, as well as others to select which areas of the screen can be used for touch controls (e.g., right half, bottom left corner, etc.) if you decide to leave it active.  Probably the first thing I would do if I decided to buy an X-T3 would be to disable the touchscreen: one of the primary appeals of the Fuji bodies to me is availability of sufficient physical controls to adjust all the frequently-used camera functions.

It is interesting that Fuji increased the depth of the X-T3 eyepiece slightly compared to the X-T2.  Presumably this was to make it easier to use the touchscreen without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.  Still seems to me like an awkward way to control a camera, but the increased setback of the eyepiece may also improve the operating experience for those of us who wear glasses.

Fuji's product managers appear to be adding features promiscuously to their latest generation of products in an attempt to appeal to as wide an array of users as possible.  I suppose that's a smart move from a marketing perspective.  And it's fine with me—as long as users continue to be able to configure the cameras to their liking.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up