Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canons biggest announcement wasn’t the camera...  (Read 2542 times)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Canons biggest announcement wasn’t the camera...
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:56:51 pm »

In my mind their biggest announcement were the lens adapters with drop in cpl or nd filter. 

That makes the 17mm tse a much better proposition on the Mirrorless body than it does on the dslrs. Easy cpl use and The flip out screen makes ground level or against the wall shots much easier too.  (Can you tell I’m an architectural photographer)

Now I’m wondering if we would get to see some other manufacturers offering filters in adapters for other brands and mounts.  What a great idea.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

BJL

Re: Canons biggest announcement wasn’t the camera...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:20:42 pm »

In my mind their biggest announcement were the lens adapters with drop in cpl or nd filter. 

....  What a great idea.
Agreed; that really caught my eye amongst the rumors. For now drop in filters only work with adapted EF lenses, so I wonder if some future R lenses, at focal lengths not needing rear elements so close to the sensor, will get a filter drawer?

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:51:06 pm »

Yeah, great idea!  I imagine we'll see 3rd party versions of this shortly.

Along the same lines...  I think Nikon's best non-camera announcement is the road map of lenses - much appreciated!

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »

That makes the 17mm tse a much better proposition on the Mirrorless body than it does on the dslrs. Easy cpl use and The flip out screen makes ground level or against the wall shots much easier too.  (Can you tell I’m an architectural photographer)

Now I’m wondering if we would get to see some other manufacturers offering filters in adapters for other brands and mounts.  What a great idea.

EF users Easter egg...

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:21:01 pm »

Agreed; that really caught my eye amongst the rumors. For now drop in filters only work with adapted EF lenses, so I wonder if some future R lenses, at focal lengths not needing rear elements so close to the sensor, will get a filter drawer?

This could be why Canon went 20mm flange, not just to have the strongest mount but to leave room for a filter changing body...

mikenakamuraphotography.com

• Mike Nakamura Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:40:41 pm »

I think you are right on with this. I can see having the Canon R specifically for this.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:40:30 am »

The camera is a real disappointment but the lenses and the adapters are really incredible. I think the f2 zoom was one of the highlights of Photokina and a real achievement for a company, something that people have dreamed of for a very long time in a standard zoom.

I agree the adapters are incredibly practical as it means only one set of small and inexpensive filters rather than a whole bag of different and large/expensive ones. Also much less field handling of these expensive filters too when changing lenses etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:49:56 am by Bo_Dez »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:15 am »

The camera is a real disappointment but the lenses and the adapters are really incredible. I think the f2 zoom was one of the highlights of Photokina and a real achievement for a company, something that people have dreamed of for a very long time in a standard zoom.

I agree the adapters are incredibly practical as it means only one set of small and inexpensive filters rather than a whole bag of different and large/expensive ones. Also much less field handling of these expensive filters too when changing lenses etc.

That is only if you use adapted lenses, not the new native RF lenses.

Dan Wells

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 11:22:46 am »

I wonder whether Canon will introduce new R lenses with rear drop-in filters? Obviously, not every lens makes sense... Why bother with a filter drawer on something with a 72mm front filter size and no vignetting restrictions? But they've given themselves the room to do it on a 17mm tilt/shift, or a 11 mm lens (whether prime or zoom), or even something with a merely inconveniently large front element (200-500mm f5.6 or the like). Fast supertelephotos with impossibly large front elements usually have filter drawers in every system. Could they have put a drawer on the 28-70mm f2? Its 95mm filter size qualifies as inconveniently large, but does its optical design permit it, or are they using that space to make the lens possible?
Pages: [1]   Go Up