Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relative and Absolute folder path  (Read 2282 times)

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
Relative and Absolute folder path
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:19:27 pm »

I have a problem with Session mode.
Auto-created folder Shortcuts in the Library panel (like folders created via Import dialogue) has Absolute (not relative) path and always get broken after Session folder is moving (from Laptop to PC or to backup drive).
I.e. D:\Photo\Session_name moved to F:\Archive\Photo\2019\Session_name will open but Folder links will be broken and cannot be repaired (or i don't know a proper way).
Suitable both for V10 and V11 Windows versions.
(Support Case were created few times with any changes).

JaapD

Re: Relative and Absolute folder path
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:00:18 am »

I’ve had exactly the same problem. Don’t know why C1 is creating by default an absolute Capture folder at a different location from the Capture folder (at c:\user\images, as described in their C1 user manual), not only storing the RAW images but even worse also the files containing the adjustment steps, the *.cos files.

Anyway, See Francisco’s reply on topic “Issue with Sessions” to solve your problem.

Regards,
Jaap.

qwz

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 03:52:02 am »

Thanks, Jaap.
I did'n see such option (maybe it have to be switched from Absolute to Relative *before* not *after* moving?)

qwz

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 03:59:13 am »

Created a new Session.
Absolute|Relative path option appeared but only for Folder in Folder Browser and its still greyed-out i.e. in-active.

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 06:29:05 am »

As far as I can see that you have created a Session Favorite. From my experience this is causing the problem as the Session Favorite is indeed once made absolute and cannot be changed to relative lateron.

I needed to delete the Session Favorite (with the – sign) and select one or more session albums. Before experimenting with this please make a copy of your master session.

Regards,
Jaap.

qwz

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:50 am »

I've created a Session Fav 'cause 'regular' way is not working - auto-created via Import dialogue folders is *always* broken after folder move.
So, you say neither way is correct - is there a third, a *correct one* - with quick access via Library panel and without digging to particular folder every time?

JaapD

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 06:12:23 am »

I’m not able to replicate your problem. At the creation of a new session I’ll take care that the capture folder’s location is "relative to document". As long as this is the case I’m able to move the complete session folder to whatever location I prefer and I’ll continue having all my process settings. No broken links or whatever.

In my opinion there is only the possibility of broken links in case it’s NOT "relative to document". This is also applicable to a Favorite, see the attached picture.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:24:26 am by JaapD »

qwz

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 03:24:44 pm »

Thank you, Jaap.
Yes, it's ok until you move whole session.

Did you try to import some files with folder created?
Did you try to move session folder?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 04:09:03 pm »

Thank you, Jaap.

I can move sessions around and have not had any issue with it, the folders stay as relative to document. I close the session, shut down C1, move the entire session with windows explorer to a new location, then start C1 and open the session in the new location and everything is ok.

On another note, I noticed that after you import images, C1 will not change the type of folder (absolute / relative). This could actually be changed directly in the catalog if you are familiar with databases and know what you are doing. The attached image show the table in the C1 catalog that has the information about folders. Relative or absolute is just a flag.

qwz

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 04:18:01 pm »

I did not use a catalog - i have no idea how to use it with many hard-drives and 2 or 3 PCs i have. So i prefer Sessions.

Of course, all needed things is stored inside .cosessiondb file but even with proper editor (HEX?) it looks extremely awkward to solve this issue
(i have it at least at 3 PCs, C1 v10 and v11).
So, i consider its a bug, maybe hard to reproduce, but needed to be fixed (like a excessive cropping after Distortion correction and few others, remaining for many versions - pity for such great software).

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »

I did not use a catalog - i have no idea how to use it with many hard-drives and 2 or 3 PCs i have. So i prefer Sessions.

C1 always use a catalog, even in session mode. The only difference in sessions is the predefined folder structure and the "relative to document" feature. Other than that, there is absolute no difference between session mode and catalog mode

With respect of how to access the catalog, it is not with a hex editor. The catalogs are regular non-encrypted MySql relational databases which can be accessed with a database manager.

qwz

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 01:22:13 am »

Good, good.
But do anyone think it's a regular thing to edit mysql database simply to move a folder of pictures to another location?

Actually, i don't know why C1 on my installations has no ability to turn on this "feature".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 01:41:23 am »

Good, good.
But do anyone think it's a regular thing to edit mysql database simply to move a folder of pictures to another location?

No, of course is not a regular thing. Sorry if I gave that impression. I would use it only as a last resort

It is also not normal that you have issues moving the sessions

JaapD

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 04:43:23 am »

Thank you, Jaap.

Regarding your questions:

Did you try to import some files with folder created? => yes I did. In the Capture folder a new sub-folder is created, named after the date of creation.

Did you try to move session folder? => Yes, I’m able to move the complete session folder and everything works just fine as long as there are no absolute links, neither from Capture nor from Favorite.

As you know the structure is with one main folder and 4 sub-folders as follows:

Session folder
  Capture
  Output
  Selects
  Trash

Keep this all together and do not use absolute links.

Regards,
Jaap.

qwz

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »

It is exactly what i did:
Create Session
Imported with auto-created folder within Session_name\Capture folder with Date and other Tokens in auto-name.
In C1 v10 and v11 it happens that this folders path created has *absolute* path, somehow. And i did not see a way (except db file raw editing) to change it to relative. That why i raised this topic (i've reported this bug two or three times via Support Cases interface without any success).

Actually, i cannot understand how it happens.
There is a example, 4 folders, two (3rd and 4th) worked as normal and Path type can be changed, but first two - not. And - as i've discovered now it has a very odd Date of creation (like XVII century) - folder names here is not Auto-created but simply copied from DCIM folder on camera SD-card and it has a proper dates in last 4 digits 02 Month 18 Day.
and i have dozens of similar sessions (my laptop where most of it has been created it has no other problems with time and date).

Pages: [1]   Go Up