Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating C1 catalogue with multiple new subfolders of images?  (Read 1701 times)

myotis

Updating C1 catalogue with multiple new subfolders of images?
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:13:21 pm »

I've asked this on the Phase One forum should anyone also see this question across there, bur so far no answer.

I ingest raw files from the card with PhotoMechanic, into system folders based on a top level folder for year, and then sub folders based on date.

With Lightroom, after adding new subfolders of raw files at the system level, I can select the top level folder (e.g. 2018) and run a sync. LR recognises that new folders have been added to the top level folder and imports them into the LR catalogue.

With C1, the sync only synchs "known" subfolders, so you need to manually add every new subfolder to the catalogue one at a time.

I suppose I could re-import the entire 2018 folder every time I add new sub-folders, but not sure what would happen - would C1 recognise that some folders were already in the catalogue and skip over them, or would I need to sit and wait for a whole years worth of photographs were re-imported, every time I wanted to add half a dozen new ones.

Am I missing something obvious here, that would make this as simple as LR?

Cheers,

Graham

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Updating C1 catalogue with multiple new subfolders of images?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:14:30 pm »

Why not injest from Capture One instead?

You could use Tokens to automatically create your date folders.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

myotis

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »

Why not injest from Capture One instead?

You could use Tokens to automatically create your date folders.

Thanks, and yes I do know I could do a basic ingestion into C1 directly, but this doesn't fit my broader workflow which is centred around PhotoMechanic capabilities that C1 doesn't have.

I can use PM across more computers than I can use C1, and its faster and more flexible for culling, keywording captioning etc than C1.

The C1 catalogue is really a backup catalogue, for my primary catalogue program, as I usually use sessions. I just like to update it every so often, and it's a bit of a pain, compared to LR or the, now dead but excellent, Media Pro.

Cheers,
Graham

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:44:33 pm »

When you ingest into C1 you can choose to:Copy the files to a new location (which is what I normally do to copy photos from cards to my HD)orJust enter the files already on your HD into the database (which is what I could to if I copy phots to my HD using some other software)
For me if I were to use PM to ingest images and then I wanted to bring them into C1 I would just do an import of the new directories / sub directories in C1. Typically I have a <year>/<date><jobname> directory structure so it would be straight forward to import the latest job into C1 after I was done with the other app.

Is that close enough to your structure that it could work?

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:11:19 pm »

I have a similar workflow and copy my files in folders and subfolders within a „2018“ mainfolder/directory. It‘s true c1 doesn‘t do the same thing than lightroom when you sychronize. In C1 I just import from the „2018“ folder, it takes a while, longer than LR, but works fine and only adds what is new. It was very slow with the first versions of the current c1, so be sure you got the latest minor updates!

myotis

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:03 pm »

For me if I were to use PM to ingest images and then I wanted to bring them into C1 I would just do an import of the new directories / sub directories in C1. Typically I have a <year>/<date><jobname> directory structure so it would be straight forward to import the latest job into C1 after I was done with the other app.

Thanks for the reply. I have an almost identical structure and I do exactly as you suggest. This isn't an issue with one new subfolder /<date><jobname>, you just import it.

It is only when you have multiple subfolders to import, as you need to import them one at a time because  C1 won't allow you to select multiple folders to import and will only sync  folders you have already imported.  With LR, and Media Pro. all you need to do is run the sync tool on the <year> top level folder and any new subfolders are automatically imported.

It's this that I was asking about, as the way LR and Media Pro work is the way other DAMs I have used also work, and I was wondering if I was just missing the way of doing this in C1, or whether there was a work around.

It's just a bit tedious if I have a couple of weeks worth of subfolders that need imported one at a time.

Cheers,

Graham

myotis

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:21:28 pm »

I have a similar workflow and copy my files in folders and subfolders within a „2018“ mainfolder/directory. It‘s true c1 doesn‘t do the same thing than lightroom when you sychronize. In C1 I just import from the „2018“ folder, it takes a while, longer than LR, but works fine and only adds what is new. It was very slow with the first versions of the current c1, so be sure you got the latest minor updates!

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution, and I'm always running the latest version.  I did think of this, but was nervous to give it a try, (obviously I could easily have used a back if something went astray, and concerned about how long it might take, as well as maybe overwriting any existing adjustments.

But it sound as if this will be fine.

Thanks again,

Graham

Thanks again.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »

I was wondering if I was just missing the way of doing this in C1, or whether there was a work around.

It's just a bit tedious if I have a couple of weeks worth of subfolders that need imported one at a time.
You are not missing anything. I have not thought about things being tedious since I think my worst week I had two separate folders to import :)

myotis

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:47 pm »

You are not missing anything. I have not thought about things being tedious since I think my worst week I had two separate folders to import :)

Yes, not an issue if it's only a small number of folders :-)

At worst I can come back with three weeks worth of folders (15+) and want to import them. But the suggestion offered by farbschlurf sounds fine, I can just let C1 do its thing while I get on with something else.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:02:58 pm »

Just remember to click on "Exclude duplicates" (as in the attached image) in the import dialog (as well on include sub-folders if applicable) when importing from an existing folder

myotis

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 01:47:44 am »

Just remember to click on "Exclude duplicates" (as in the attached image) in the import dialog (as well on include sub-folders if applicable) when importing from an existing folder

Thanks, a useful reminder :-)

Cheers,

Graham

Pages: [1]   Go Up